EA explains NFS Shift DLC and other Origin exclusives

Wednesday, 29th June 2011 15:49 GMT By Andrew Groen

Frank Gibeau, president of the EA Games label, spoke in an interview today about its new digital download service, Origin, and what we can expect from them in the future.

He spoke to Gamesindustry.biz about the challenges of breaking into the market of digital games distribution when Steam is the obvious market leader. Gibeau said that EA has a goal of eventually becoming the worldwide leader, and exclusives will be a big part of what gets them there.

“We are going to continue to be great partners for our retail channel partners and as they evolve their business models to account for digital,” said Gibeau.

“But at the same time you talk about platform exclusives like Halo or Uncharted, EA’s going to have some of our own platform exclusives.”

Gibeau then went on to explain how the Origin exclusivity of Star Wars: The Old Republic figured into that. “In the case of Star Wars we’re trying to build an audience for Origin,” he said.

“For a lot of reasons it made sense for an MMO, which is a highly complex deployment… it’s also an opportunity for us to better manage the downloads and how we bring people over from the beta and that sort of thing.”

GI.biz via Shacknews

1. Sorvin

All I can do is vote with my wallet… and my wallet says Steam.

2. Bluebird

I like how the headline mentions NFS, but then you tell us nothing about it in the rest of the piece.

3. deadstoned

As long as BF3 is on Steam I’ll buy, if not my wallet says no.

4. DSB

I don’t see anything inherently evil about Origin, but if they’re going to short their users on Steam even more than they have before, with BF3, then I’m sure either MW2 or MW3 will keep me entertained just fine.

That would be an incredibly stupid move.

I don’t mind being offered incentives to join a client, like lower price or perhaps a small headstart on extra content, but trying to blackmail me onto your system by withholding content on other services is a non-starter.

5. viralshag

I’m not that bothered and I’m not sure why people get so up in arms about it to be honest. I use the EA Download Manager occasionally and I have no issue with it whatsoever. I don’t really care if I buy something on Steam and then have to use Windows Live for Gaming. It doesn’t bother me I have to start and log in to any MMO clients.

If I buy a game on Origin and can still play with people that bought it on Steam or digitally somewhere else, I can’t say I would care all that much. If I have to buy it direct from Origin, again, not bothered.

6. DSB

It’s just a question of principle.

Origin doesn’t do anything for the consumer that other clients don’t do, it’s simply a way for EA to make more money. They save a considerable percentage per copy they sell through their client, and they want us to support it for that reason.

In return, they expect us to divide our game collections between clients, that are at least as good, and their only incentive is the fact that they’ll keep content from us, if we don’t do it.

That’s not acceptable to me. The choice is always with the consumer, and I’m not going to be coerced onto a client. Give me an honest offer that’s actually worth it, don’t try to give me one “I can’t refuse”, and I’ll return the favor by considering it.

You’ll have to say goodbye to your Steam community every time you play an EA game, and you’ll have to juggle two different clients depending on the games you want to play. That’s an inconvenience, and they need to make it worth that inconvenience, rather than simply trying to coerce me over there.

7. xxJPRACERxx

Valve games are only available on Steam, so why can’t EA games/contents be only available on Origin? I have no problem with that.

8. artursz1993