Tribes: Ascend marks free-to-play announce with gameplay trailer

Tuesday, 28th June 2011 03:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Based on the cult multiplayer shooter series, Tribes: Ascend is taking the leap into freemium territory. Glance over some gameplay footage through the break.

IGN reports Ascend players will be able to purchase differing loadouts for their characters – set combinations of armour type, movement speed, weapon choice, explosives, and pack type.

Developer Hi-Rez intends to release new varieties of loadouts on a regular basis, much as Riot Games does with League of Legends’ champions.

Hi-Rez told Joystiq the game is due this year, on PC only, with possible console versions later on.

Admire out the footage below.

1. Christopher Jack

Looks insane.

2. ultramega

Holy shit that looks great. I WILL be trying this. Indeed.

Also: SO MUCH NOSTALGIA!

3. Erthazus

I think it’s later for Xbox 360 too.
    Shazbot :D.

My only complain is that to shoot with these guns is so unsatisfying. They need more “kick” to them.
    Still it’s old Tribes game. Played to death in the past. I don’t know if it is going to be relevant in the age of Firefall which have an original Tribes designer.

4. Blerk

They’re backing away from the 360 version now, I doubt it’ll ever appear despite them initially announcing it. One of the other stories I read on this today had a quote from them saying they were “concentrating on PC for now” and that console versions “might” appear at some point in the future.

5. Moonwalker1982

Sucks that the consoles will have to wait longer, but there’s gonna be so many games can’t say i’m that sad about it. Don’t get me wrong, i loved Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes II on PC at the time, but its coming for PC first, which is very understandable too. Hope there will be a console version at all though…that all remains to be seen.

6. Uncontested

Tribes… like most older shooters… was only good because of the mod community. It went from a shooter with 5 different guns to a shooter with tons of vehicles, hundreds of different weapon combos, turrets, base building, and so on.

7. IL DUCE

That’s whack I thought it was confirmed to be coming to XBLA this year, hope it still comes though…

@Blerk that’s not necessarily true as we’ve seen there are exceptions to the rule as we are now seeing with The Witcher 2