Rumour – PS3 to go sub-£200 at gamescom 2011

Friday, 24th June 2011 08:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

UK trade and retail are predicting a sub-£200 price-cut for PlayStation 3 to be announced in Cologne at gamescom in August, according to an MCV report this morning

The site claims that those within the trade are hoping for a £199 pricepoint, with retail going further at £179.

Sony gave the site a “no comment” when asked about it. The company is still to detail its plans for the show in Germany.

Codemasters boss Rod Cousens told MCV he anticipated “a further price cut on existing consoles prior to Christmas.”

At the first gamescom two years ago, Sony announced a price cut for PS3 that seen it go down to £249/€299/$299 for both the fat and the newly-announced at the time Slim models.

1. The Massive Slag

Called this weeks ago. Now that Sony have finally broken even on the PS3, and with new tech in the form of Vita on the horizon, it makes perfect sense to lower the price and make it more competitive in the run up to the ‘primary gifting period’.

2. Blerk

About time!

3. alimokrane

This is long overdue, long overdue! 5 years in and the console is still above £200. How ridiculous is that!

4. Lounds

I dunno, it’s a good thing because 2nd hand it retained it’s value a lot more than 360.

But PS2 was £170 after 2 years

5. alimokrane

@Lounds

Yes it retained its value but look at what happened to the installed base as compared to PS2 in the same time frame. I dont blame Sony to be honest, they simply cant afford the loss but the consumers cant afford an expensive console either.

6. NeoSquall

The PS2 is three to four times less complex than a PS3 (even more, to be hones), just so you know why great companies can’t risk anymore on lowering prices too much and too fast, hoping the console sells so much that they eventually break even on the costs.

7. onlineatron

Glad I’ve held out so long buying one for my Uni dorm. I’ll be right on this if it happens.

8. The Evil Pope

£199? For a 5 year old console, Fuck that! Sony need to do better than that! The system is old-hat, yesterdays news.

I would rather keep such money and put it towards Nintendo’s next system.

9. Renegade

That’s why I believe there’s going to be anouncement/release for both sony and microsoft next generation consoles next E3
    First,they dont want nintendo to get the market and second, what is certain is that there’s no uncharted 4 or gears of war 4 going to be on these gen consoles

too much news lately proven my idea

10. Lounds

@9 I doubt it.

2013 earlyest for xbox

2014 earlyest for PS4

11. IL DUCE

Nooo! I should have waited six more months to buy my ps3, I paid $300 in Feb…hopefully the 360 follows suit and if the 250 gig drops to $200 or $250 I will be all over it…my old model Elite isn’t going to last much longer, damn little cousins knocking it down plus the disc tray requires a butter knife to assist it in opening…

12. Keivz

I have a PS3. I also want a 360. Though I can afford it I don’t think it’s worth it’s current price especially in comparison to the PS3. A PS3 price cut would mandate a 360 price cut. Therefore: 360 here I come!

13. e13

BlueRay should have been optional.