CD “really tried to ground that in a human experience,” with latest Tomb Raider

Friday, 24th June 2011 20:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Noah Hughes, creative director at Crystal Dynamics, has reiterated the PS Blog that the team didn’t change Lara Croft in the latest Tomb Raider just “change’s sake.”

Instead the team decided to make her as real as it could, something Hughes has said before.

“Everything then kind of came out of that – the character design, the story we were telling, the whole look of the game,” said Hughes. “We really tried to ground that in a human experience. That was the starting point.

“You can see that once you start down the road of bringing her to life, it can influence so much of the rest of the game. Pain and hardship are what help forge Lara into this hero – I mean, she’s a fledgling archaeologist who becomes the Tomb Raider.

“There has to be some trial and tribulation.”

Tomb Raider is due for release on PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012.

1. Espers

I like the new perspective however I still miss the boobs, can you promise us she can regain her big jugs in the games to follow ?!

another thing I noticed, that the in game graphics is nowhere near the CG that creates some type of visual hindrance really. The in game graphics should be close to the CG or the CG should be close to the in game. Example: Battlefield 3, Final Fantasy XIII.

Anyway I am buying the game, because the game play puzzle style got me interested.

2. manamana

I actually like the firmer appoach for the boobies. Mmmh, a good handful. On the rest I agree, though.

3. Hunam

There is a generally jugs to quality ratio with the games. The bigger the Jugs the worse the game. You’ll notice that in Legend she has the smallest of breasts for a Lara model yet the game is superb, in Underworld she has a more generous bust and a less interesting game.

I’ll always side with a generous handful myself. She should be known for her double pistols not her double bazookas.

4. triggerhappy686

^^ made me do a real LOL :)

5. RDR Cheats

It is an acceptable game based on its own merits, but, set against its own legacy, it is for all intents and purposes indistinguishable from those that have already

6. OrbitMonkey

I’m interested in how Crystal Dynamics will balance Lara’s trials with the actual gameplay. I mean no-one wants to play as cripple, but purely cosmetic indicators of all this suffering they promise will seem shallow…

7. DSB

@6 I thought that said balance her tits. I guess I’m used to the “old” Tomb Raiders when that was really the only question.

Same gameplay, different size tits.

8. hitnrun

Laura Croft basically being a 90s tech demo for tits, it’s sort of curious that they won’t move on with a new character for a radical new direction like this. Instead, they keep “rebooting” her.

This is endemic across the video game industry, of course. I mean, Kid Icarus? Bionic Commando? Let it go, people. She’s not the goddamn Batman. Make a new character. I realize that Tomb Raider is a bullet point on your shareholder reports, but trust me, you can find a market for a high poly female adventurer who gets all dirty while she explores and shoots guys. Kiree desu.

9. DaMan

She is the Batman of videogames though, making a TR w/o Lara would be the same as making a Mega Man without the guy. It’s pretty much a poor approach, and why on Earth would you even do that.

It’s like calling James Bond an array of quotes too, it’s irrelevant. Kind of like asking God to have a ‘personality’.. You can’t really have a detailed character when he’s an all around invincible flawless superbeing. That’s just a different way of implementing the protagonist.

I hate that they dropped Keeley Hawes though, she was the best voiceover since the originals. The moment someone calls her ‘Laura’ in-game I stop playing Tomb Raider ;)