“EA Sports as a service rather than individual, discreet purchases” is important to us, says Moore

Thursday, 23rd June 2011 18:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Peter Moore has said it’s important to EA Sports to connect its customers under one network and when you offer services such as this, the games themselves become a service as well.

Speaking in an interview with IGN at E3, Moore said EA’s goal with the games as a service business model, is to offer customers something less expensive with more content.

“Software as a service, SAAS as they call it, is the future,” he said. “Software that’s not on a floppy disk or a disc or some form of cartridge, that is the key. Once you have software as a service, games as a service becomes important as well. Having EA Sports as a service rather than individual, discreet purchases becomes important to us. How do I provide all of my portfolio and franchises to you as a service as software is usually delivered rather than hoping you go to a store and buy my game instead of the game next to it on the shelf? That is the NetFlix model. That is any online subscription model.

“Ultimately our industry has got to move towards being able to build services, and we have a unique situation at EA Sports where we’re really the only true ‘brand’  in video games. There are publishers like ourselves, Activision, and Ubisoft, you can argue they’re brands, but I’m not sure if you buy an EA game, for example, you buy a game that happens to be published by EA. Our research shows people will be an EA Sports game. EA Sports is a brand they trust, and so what we’ve got to be able to do is how do we tie that all together? That’s what I was talking about, this concept of a service, of subscription models, and of being able to go direct to consumer.

“If you’re our average guy, maybe you buy two or three games a year. That’s $180. Can I provide you with a service that’s less expensive, that provides you with more content? Those are the models that all software companies look at and we’re no different.”

You can read the entire interview through the link.

1. DSB

How about simply dedicating yourselves to making better sports games?

That’s why those customers are disappearing in the first place. I “need” EA sports games, but I’m completely aware of how little I’m getting for my money.

2. IL DUCE

I’m definitely not an average guy then…since January I’ve purchased 10 games (that were brand new releases, not including used games)…

But he is right…EA Sports is a brand, and always a trusted one for quality purposes when it comes to the Madden, FIFA and NHL games…and I guess you would include less popular franchises in there such as Tiger Woods, NCAA Football and Fight Night…

3. DSB

Depends on what you mean by trusted. They put out a new build once every 3-4 years, and then they reissue it in the interim with only minor patches for your money.

It’s cost them nearly half their audience over a decade, Madden and Fight Night have essentially been run into the ground.

They’re getting worried at this point. They’re shutting down old servers to try and make people buy new copies, adding ingame advertising to make up for the lost profits, and this is just yet another attempt at bringing them back into the fold.

I don’t think it’s going to happen until they dedicate themselves to earning that money, rather than simply expecting it to keep coming. Their games are unmatched, but with regards to the ones they put out the year before, that’s definitely not the case.

4. DarkElfa

So what Moore was really saying is that it’s more important to insure their customers are paying a monthly fee on top of the actual purchase cost to get what they should have gotten for their 60 buck purchase alone.

5. OlderGamer

I’ll give you my vision for EA.

You go to the store and buy Madden/Fifa/whatever.

There is no year or date on the price. The game can not be sold new or you will have ot buy a online pass.

Each year you buy DLC that updates teams/stadiums/etc. Thats it.

Yep a couple of limitations right off the bat, I know.

Like what if you don’t have a HDD to store updates?

Then you can’t update your game.

What about people w/o net?

Then those people can not update there games. They can still play the original boxed game. Samething happens today with patches and bug fixes. No net and you play w/o the patch.

In the end it boils down to people not being interested in forking out premium money for a yearly, slightly tweaked, updated product.

I enjoy EA sports, alot. But I have drasticly cut down on the number of them I buy. Add in DLC and I will not buy a new game but once every three or four years. I did preoder this years NCAA Football 12, but latly these games have been released with 30usd of day one DLC. That makes my purchase a 90usd investment. Why the heck would I want to do that all over again next season? And times however many sports games I want to play. I enjoy NCAA Football, Madden NFL, Tiger Woods, and NCAA Basketball. Thats 360usd a year to stay current in just those sports/games.

Crazy. Something needs to give.