PS3 hacker expects jailtime due to low funds

Wednesday, 22nd June 2011 11:02 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A German PS3 hacker who is currently being sued by Sony for promoting piracy with PS3 has said he expects to go to jail.

Alexander “Graf Chokolo” Egorenkov, who is being sued for €1 million due to his attempts to restore Linux on PS3 after its official removal by Sony, said that he had run out of money to pay for the lawsuit.

“No money left any more,” he said on his website in a comment.

However, he admitted he was willing to go behind bars for his “beliefs.”

“Going to jail soon probably because I cannot pay court costs. But I’m ready to stand up for everything I said and go to jail for that, too.

“It’s not important to win, more important is to show them that we are ready to fight, that they cannot scare me off that easily. Yeah, I’m ready to go to jail for my beliefs and my principles.”

Egorenkov further said that once he got out – if he were to go to jail in the first place – he would continue his work.

“…I will get out eventually and continue my work. My work means very much to me.”

This is only the latest of a long story of hacking throughout the industry that began back in January, with George “Geohot” Hotz exposing the PS3 root key, leaving it wide open for piracy. It all led to a boiling point with the PSN outage in April due to an external intrusion.

Yesterday, a joint op between Scotland Yard and FBI seen a LulzSec and former Anonymous hacker arrested.

Via EG.

1. KAP

Well….. Duuuuhhhhhhh!!!

2. Gama_888

LOL, Who does this guy think he is? Spartacus?

Ur going to jail because you want a feature on a Playstation dude, Seriously is that worth it?

3. Andreas2402

haha, I read “is being used by Sony for promoting piracy”.

I hope he’ll stay there.

4. mojo

its not about the feature.
    its realy, seriously frustrating that there are still ppl who still, STILL dont get that.
    its even stated in the text.

i have MASSIVE respect for this guy. he got balls bigger than us all combined. in fact i have more respect for this single person than for the entire german politicians. This is the ppls man. THE MAN.
    gonna donate 50€ no later than today.

5. KrazyKraut

@4 lolz…ofc. maybe you will one day dev something and someone will try to hack it. good luck.

hope he got a sweet face…

6. mojo

if ppl have paid fair money for whatever product u name its there right to do with it whatever they want. He did not pirate, he did not steal. he just did what a independent mind has to do!
    it doesnt matter who developed what. NOT AT ALL.

7. Maximum Payne

@4 Just because he has balls to that doesn’t make him a hero.

8. mojo

in the past, ppl got praised for that. today they get flamed.
    thats how far the brain wash has come.

9. MadFingerz

Going to jail shouldn’t be a problem for a jailbreaker, right? xD

10. Maximum Payne

@8 that is relatively ok that he try to bring back linux but he know that other would try to use that for piracy.There is reason why Sony is not allowed other OS feature…Now on PS3 you can use pirated games.
    And stuff like ”beliefs and my principles” he just love to HACK like Skidrow and Razor.They give you game like:if you love it buy it. LOL yea ….

11. Dannybuoy

Throw away the key(gen)

12. Clupula

I hope his stay in prison is a brutal one. Maybe someone will make it so he can’t type anymore.

Or at least I can hope.

13. pukem0n

german jailcells are cosier than what i got 2 years ago when i was in the german army…

14. Gama_888

@4,6 & 8

Nono, Dont get me wrong i agree with the cause he is fighting. It should not be up to Sony to dictate what we can and cant do with our hardware.

And if Sony are breaking the law or impeding our rights we should do something about, LEGALLY, WITH A COURT CASE,GOING THROUGH PROPER CHANNELS.
    Not by hacking the console and getting sent to jail.

Seriously, think about it. This guy is going to JAIL, Because he tried to restore OtherOs.
    No fucking way is that worth it!

15. Telepathic.Geometry

@mojo: I don’t know too well what this dude did, but if it’s just that he installed Linux on his PS3 and he’s getting busted for that, I agree it’s well out of order. Is that all he did?

16. Telepathic.Geometry

@Clupula: Steady on there fella, you hope he’s beaten and raped for a non-violent crime? Get some fucking perspective will ya…

17. Alakratt

So if I don’t believe/support this guy I’m brainwashed? I don’t think so. The very fact that anything this “Graf” says you instantly believe, makes YOU the one who’s brainwashed. You wanna mod something to death? Go buy a computer, you wanna play games without worrying about upgrading hardware, buy a console. I don’t know about you, but it’s actually easier and better to run a Linux OS (like Ubuntu or thousand others) on a computer. But you want me to believe this guy and Geohot were using the rootkey to bring back a feature that only the minority used it? That rootkey was posted by Geohot so that other “hackers” used it to write code to pirate games and cheat online. But I’m wrong, I’m brainwashed, because THEY say they’re fighting for our rights and that makes it all better. DUDE! Wake up, they weren’t, we bought a games console, and we’re still able to play games on it. So take off that V for Vendetta mask and don’t try to make this something it isn’t. You wanna fight for our rights? Go hack/fight MS for charging us to play online!

BTW ask yourself this: Why didn’t they start “fighting” for our rights when Sony stopped producing PS2 BC enabled PS3s? That feauture was WAY better than Other OS.

18. Maximum Payne

@17 Agree with everything you said.

19. Christopher Jack

Sony are going after the wrong guy, he didn’t crack the PS3, he was just creating software for it, they should be focusing on the people who attacked their networks & websites. This guy is too prideful for his own good, surely he could just work some deal out with Sony’s lawyers & drop his work on Linux for PS3, a feature that just isn’t worth what he’s risking.

@8, You don’t fight for rights by taking justice into your own hands, not in this modern world, there is no justice system, only a law system. If you want to return the feature, you launch a lawsuit against Sony & garner is much support as possible, it has previously been attempted but failed & that’s because they lacked enough support, it just isn’t important enough.

20. Gurdil

@17 You, sir, are priceless. You think this guy is wrong about wanting to do whatever he wants with his console because Sony designed it to be that way. Ok that’s a respectable opinion. But then, you say he should try and hack MS’s system because you don’t like it the way that was designed?!? Get your shit together…

21. Christopher Jack

@20, You, along with countless others, fail to acknowledge that the software is licensed to use under certain conditions with purchase of the hardware, do what ever the hell you want to the hardware, mod it’s casing, smash it with a sledgehammer, Sony wouldn’t do a thing about it unless you broke another law.

22. Gurdil

@21 Hum maybe I wrote my message wrong but I’m not saying I’m pro or against this guy’s actions (I couldn’t tell since I don’t know exactly what he did and why). I’m just saying that if it’s wrong to mess with Sony’s software, it’s just as wrong to mess with Microsoft’s online system, that’s it.

23. YoungZer0

@mojo:

“if ppl have paid fair money for whatever product u name its there right to do with it whatever they want.”

No, you’re not. If you buy the console you also sign a contract with Sony, the contract says you don’t fuck with the console. He fucked with it. Stupid person is stupid.

“no what makes him a hero is that hes fighting for his, mine, your and everybodys rights (well, as long as ur living in germany).”

It also has nothing to do with germany, so stop crying bullshit about it.

I don’t agree with what he does. He fights the stupid fight. If he wanted to have Linux so bad he could get it cheaper with an actual PC. Don’t talk as if he’s some kind of Crusader fighting for our rights. He’s not. He’s fighting for his rights. His rights to break a contract.

24. OrbitMonkey

Why is it so important to restore this gimmick feature? A feature that only a minority gave a fuck about, a minority who more than likely have it running on the pc’s anyway?

I mean seriously of all the things to do time for…

25. mojo

“@8 that is relatively ok that he try to bring back linux but he know that other would try to use that for piracy.”

so?
    elaborate further pls.
    u know there are companies who are making knifes…

15:
    actualy he did this + releasing his knowledge so others could also use linux again.

23:
    wow thats new.
    i never signed a contract with sony.
    the only contract i signed is the sales contract in the store when i bought the ps3. and even that was not realy signed. but its a contract.
    Sony doesnt have anything signed from me besides the EULA of the PSN, which doesnt matter in this case at all.

“Buuuuulllshit. I never asked him to fight for “my rights”. It’s not my fight, i don’t care for this shit. I bought the console for the GAMES!”
    i also didnt ask him.
    i dont have the right to ask anyone to do what it takes in such a situation.
    But i stand for anybody defending his rights. and mine.

Its nothing more but sad that u dont care for ur rights young fella.
    maybe sometime u will understand.

24:
    the feature is not important at all.
    I seriously couldnt care less for linux on my ps3. never had it, never tried it and i honestly dont think i will ever use it.
    But that is not the point!

26. DSB

Reverse engineering is only a crime on paper.

I fail to see why a guy should have his life ruined just because he wants Linux on his PS3. You can always argue that he knows the risks, but there aren’t any victims, beyond a patent.

Why aren’t Sony attempting to parley with the people, who obviously want the operating system that they promised them to begin with?

27. YoungZer0

@25:

“wow thats new.
    i never signed a contract with sony.”

But you did. Guess that was a little hard to understand for you. If you buy the console you sign a contract, you can read the contract up on the internet, if you buy it, you sign it, even if you don’t put your Initials on a paper.

“But i stand for anybody defending his rights. and mine.”

What rights? Again it’s Sony’s right to do whatever they want with the console. Look up the contract.

“Its nothing more but sad that u dont care for ur rights young fella.
    maybe sometime u will understand.”

It’s nothing more but sad that you don’t understand where your rights end and where they begin. He isn’t fighting for anybodies rights but his, naive fella.

Maybe someday you will understand.

28. OrbitMonkey

@25, Then what is the point, because I seriously don’t get it? O_o

@26 Sony don’t have to parlay with anyone. You can have linux running on your ps3, as long as you don’t take it online. Plus this whole “promised feature” bollocks. OtherOS was, is & will alsways be a gimmick… I swear Sony only put it in to have a pop at MS…*MISHTAKE*

29. mojo

what dsb said

i mean, ppl, this has nothing, and absolutely nothing to do with piracy.
    it is just a guy who likes to use his hardware as promised.

WTF guys?
    seriously where is the problem with that?
    its pathetic to even argue about.

28:
    the point is:
    consumer has rights.
    corporation offers stuff
    consumers buys stuff based on offering
    corporation fucks stuff up
    consumer is left with a product he never wanted in the first place.
    THIS IS PLAIN WRONG!

it doesnt matter, AT ALL, what u, i or average joe thinks about a feature that is used by 1 or 1.000.000 ppl. Fact is, it got taken away from at least on person who bought the product to use this feature.

Dont u guys see the blatant injustice here?
    realy?

30. Alakratt

Apart from the free PSN/PSP games, if there’s anything this PSN hack has taught me is that there are A LOT of people who hate Sony with a passion and used this OtherOS argument to show that hate and hide behind it. These people even supported the PSN hack.

Really, every company is greedy, do shitty things, but taking away the OtherOS isn’t one of them, now taking away PS2 BC was but NOBODY fought for that back, something that was useful. How about fighting agaisn’t that company that keeps releasing the same game year after year and it’s gonna start charging for something that is free in all other games in its genre. Why aren’t they fighting agaisn’t that company that releases hardware revisions year after year to keep the price up? Why aren’t you fighting agaisn’t that company that released unreliable hardware early and took 5 years to actually (kinda) fix it? No, let’s support somebody that says that they are fighting for my rights by saying that he’s using the root key to bring back a useless feature that runs better on a computer (with a OS that’s free). And anything he (Graff) says is like straight from the bible, all true. This hipocrisy about when to fight and what/who to support is ridiculous.

31. OrbitMonkey

@29 “Blatant injustice” Lol, take a fucking perspective pill mate :)

32. MadFingerz

@29 “i mean, ppl, this has nothing, and absolutely nothing to do with piracy.
    it is just a guy who likes to use his hardware as promised.”

Just because he says that’s his only purpose doesn’t mean it’s true. Everybody lies (House says so). Not saying his true purpose was to hack but don’t be naive in trusting blindly on people you don’t even know.

And like others have said before, next time these guys should just read the contract and if they don’t agree there’s a special box there they can put a mark on, return the console and save us the crying. No injustice whatsoever.

33. mojo

sad to see so many ppl beeing lost already.

zero: noone cares for a stupid piece of writeup somewhere on the internet.
    I didnt sign any contract.
    What ur about is, maybe, at best, a EULA.
    EULAs dont count much here, you know.
    there have been many many cases where corps wrote shit in EULAs and then got screwed by the law, because they where illegal.

when it matters, EULAs are wothless.
    u as a customer have defined rights. no eula can take them away.

31: elaborate further pls. show me, where is this not injustice?
    do u seriously believe sony did act right? realy? wow.

“Just because he says that’s his only purpose doesn’t mean it’s true. ”
    and it also doesnt mean its wrong.

Imaging where we end up if we judge someone or something based on what could happen?
    This opens the door for every reprisal the sickest of minds could come up with.

DONT U GUYS SEE WHAT SIGN IT WILL SET IF GRAF GETS SENTENCED?

even more so then we are today we (the customers, the little ppl) will be degraded even more to just transfering earnings to company.

OR do u guys look forward to that? to be dependent on consum. what a sad existens we are aiming for lately is beyond me.
    its crushing. we are moving away from human thinking to economic thinking. but i ask u, are we economic entities or are we humans in the first place?

34. MadFingerz

^
    1st. I’m not american, but we do have that law here, yes. Actuallly, we barely even convict the guilty ones lol

2nd. Stop being a drama queen. Sony was hacked and now they are trying to do everything they can to stop that from happening again. Honestly I would be more pissed if they didn’t went after possible hackers. With that said, it’s obvious I don’t want anything to happen to this guy in case he really is innocent. But that decision isn’t up to me, you or even Sony now is it?

35. spiderLAW

@24 agreed.
    But really we know that he wasnt hacking just to restor OtherOS. Thats just what he is trying to hide behind..

36. DSB

@28 Quite obviously they don’t. The law allows them to be the biggest cunts they’d like, but that obviously isn’t helping them in silencing the users who very much seem to want Linux running on their systems.

Parleying would just be the human thing to do, when people are playing around with your product without any ill intent.

Since the dawn of time people have been tinkering with the things around them, trying to find out how they work, and how to make them better.

There’s nothing to suggest that this guy is looking to be the next big cracking legend, not that there’s anything to gain there, since the PS3 is already cracked. He obviously doesn’t seek to destroy anything, he simply wants to add to the platform, using the slightly twisted hacker logic that you shouldn’t have to ask permission to improve on things.

Why you would try to destroy people like that, rather than initiate a dialogue to see what you have to learn from eachother, is beyond me.

You can easily run pirated games on your PS3 already, you hardly need to be running Linux to do it.

37. OrbitMonkey

Sony: Look guys were taking away otherOS… If you want to keep it, don’t agree to the update. Hacking the system to bring it back after the update will be a breach of contract ok?

Most People: meh.

Graf idiot: RAGE! I DON’T ACCEPT! I WILL HACK YOUR SYSTEM & GIVE OUT THE CODES!!

Sony: Erm, you realise we’ll sue you right? I mean that’s clear right? You’ll be breaching a legally binding contract if you do….

Graf idiot: I DON’T CARE I HAVE PRINCIPLES & THE PEOPLE ON MY SIDE!

Most people: meh.

Mojo: RAGE!!!

38. DSB

@37 That has nothing to do with what actually happened, though.

He didn’t publish anything until people busted down his door and dragged him out of his home.

Until then his work was purely constructive.

Acting before he thinks is something he has in common with Sony, apparently.

39. OrbitMonkey

@38 OH come on dude, I very much doubt Sony let loose their legal team on a whim. They didn’t pluck his name from a hat, did they?

40. DSB

@39 You think they stopped by with coffee and doughnuts and were turned away at the door?

I have no idea why they broke the guys door down, he certainly hadn’t posed any overt threat to the company before that. Generally corporations have a lot of automation built into them, and sometimes calling the cops before calling the Linux enthusiast is a result of that.

Compare that to Apple, not sueing Geohot. Ultimately Sony’s course of action has lead to widespread attacks on their business, exposing their lack of security, and the publishing of every secret they might want to keep within their business.

Do you feel that’s a success, compared to Apple ignoring the guy and being able to carry on their business, without suffering anything, either financially, or in terms of their reputation?

It’s cost Apple 0 dollars in lost revenue, whereas Sony now needs to spend millions repairing the results of the attacks they’ve suffered, rebuilding their reputation, after giving away everybody’s personal details, and even more millions sueing homebrewers – For what? Are homebrewers going to go away? Do you see that happening?

Starting a war over an issue, when you can learn to live with it, is simply not bright. And neither are most major corporations when it comes to dealing with the little guy.

Corporations often work on autopilot, and while it enables them to keep their huge operations going, it doesn’t always serve them well.

41. OrbitMonkey

@40 I’m not fighting Sony’s corner here mate. Of course they’ve mishandled this, but neither am i championing this Graf guy who is obviously likes the smell of his own farts.

I bet Sony wish they’d never put in OtherOS :)

42. DSB

@41 Well, like I said, you can always argue whether it’s smart to put your head on the cutting block and risk pissing people off, like hackers do by enforcing the notion that “You don’t need permission to improve on things”.

I just don’t see how he’s a huge criminal who deserves to be buttfucked for all eternity in a German dungeon for trying to put Linux on a PS3.

There’s a world of difference between a guy like that, and a hardcore psychopath from Lulzsec.

He didn’t do anything that was potentially harmful to Sony, before they delivered their message with a battering ram.

43. OrbitMonkey

@43 Y’know this has been a nice little thread. I was gonna say this Graf guy should apologise, promise not to do it again & I’d bet Sony would settle out of court. Leaving him with the court costs to pay (ouch).

But goddamn if thinking about that crazy german kid willing to go to jail, just so’s I can have linux hasn’t wormed its way into my crusty little heart :)

Go get them Graf! Your only young & stupid once! :D

44. DSB

@43 Loooooool :D

I think it would be better for everyone if the measures weren’t always so out of proportion. Million dollar penalties, 35 charges for the same offence, and police storming peoples homes? Where’s the common sense?

Of course now Sony have a much more serious case against him for publishing those materials, but ethically I think it’s easily an own goal for both parties. I don’t get why it couldn’t have been resolved in everybody’s favor.

45. G1GAHURTZ

46. mojo

37: that does not even slightly represent what actualy happened, besides me raging, obv :D
    DSB reflected it right.

I do completely agree with DSB, with every fraction of his post.
    couldnt have said it any better.

34:
    beforehand: ive made a terrible typo in my post and cant edit it anymore somehow:
    “in germany we have this rule (im sure americans also have it). ur not innocent until proven guilty!”
    That “not” is obviously wrong. -.-

anyway, may intention is actualy not aimed to act _against sony_ but _for graf_.
    Sony does what it does, i cant change that and i can understand that and why they are doing this.
    But this guy must not be convicted. its not right. not even by the laws, but by the heart. It feels awfully wrong.

43:
    “But goddamn if thinking about that crazy german kid willing to go to jail, just so’s I can have linux hasn’t wormed its way into my crusty little heart ”
    call it dedication, possession, conviction, believe, ideals or even as u wish idiocy, but believe me, its something a hell of a lot of ppl are missing these days!

47. Alakratt

Reading the comments I found out that he posted the info he was working on AFTER they caught him? Wow, for such a smart guy that was a real retard move, I mean isn’t that like more proof against him?

48. TVs Everywhere

Dear lord the ire that Sony draws is amazing over a completely useless feature of all things.

Goes to show who’s a clingy little dweeb looking for any excuse to rag on Sony and who is actually a person who actually DOES what he wants with his hardware instead of bitching about it.

Here’s are some “news” for the Sony haters regarding OtherOS: OtherOS is stupid, useless, and completely obsolete. Why? Because real homebrew developers have been hacking away at their consoles offline since the console was cracked earlier this year. These people REALIZE that these are unauthorized modifications, which is exactly why they don’t make it incredibly public. The stupid people who think they’re “fighting the man” are the ones starting at the lion in the mouth, then they wonder why they got bit.

I also wonder if the people bitching at Sony realize what a “closed system” actually means. Here’s a little hint: it’s what every single console is. No, you’re NOT allowed to reverse engineer the PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP, GameCube, XBox, PS2, Dreamcast, PS1, N64, SNES, Genesis, NES, Master System, or any other console that has been released, because these are CLOSED products. If you want open products, then great. Go buy a computer and tweak the hell out of that. That’s where the modding scene is anyway. Why in the world would ANYONE want to “mod” a PS3?

I’m sorry but these complaints are idiotic. It’s a documented fact that the PS3 is still the most open console currently in the market, and what thanks does Sony get? People bitching like self-entitled maniacs about how they “took away” the most gimmicky and useless feature of all: OtherOS. Yeah, I bet if they took the printer features out of the PS3 we’d get that same herd of petulant whiners to march in and start bitching about “IT’S NOT THE FACT THAT THE FEATURE IS USELESS, IT’S THE PRINCIPLE! SONY’S EEEEVILLL!!”

49. Gekidami

He did that because he was in the process of blackmailing Sony. They only went to his house when he threatened to publish that info.

50. DSB

@48 The obvious answer is that Sony actually promised people OtherOS, then they took it away.

If they had put some thought into what they were doing, instead of promising everybody everything, then they wouldn’t be in a position where the homebrew community holds them to what they percieve as an obligation.

You don’t see Microsoft having these problems, do you? They never pretended like it was going to be anything other than a closed system.

The empassioned pleas of Sony fanboys has made me realize that Sony is obviously just a weak little woman who gets beat on by everybody in the entire world for being so perfect, and that we should all feel so incredibly sorry for this gigantic multinational corporation, but really, whether or not the law is on her side, she is one stupid bitch.

@49 Based on….?

51. Gekidami

Facts.

52. Alakratt

So he did post it after they went in? WOW Still, what a fucking retard! Look what good that did to him. So Sony actually had a reason to go and get him…and people still defend this a-hole.

53. Gekidami

^ Pretty much. He wanted to get fresh with Sony and thought they would just accept his terms. And now he’s facing jail time.

Well done, idiot.

54. DSB

@51 That has nothing to do with blackmail, though. He didn’t stand to gain anything from it, beyond being allowed to continue his project.

If Sony lets their legal department hunt homebrewers like common criminals, they can expect them to behave as such. It’s not an intelligent way to resolve their problems, as the response quite obviously showed.

55. Alakratt

I think DSB is Graff’s BFF because he’s been defending the guy all day long (and who knows maybe even longer). That’s the only explanation I can see, because if he isn’t his BFF then it’s kinda stupid defending someone you don’t even know if he’s saying the truth. Just because Graff says something doesn’t mean it’s true. But hey, the anti-Sony pass is still active I suppose.

56. Gekidami

Cool apologetics, bro. But to us normal people, demanding someone do something “or else”, is called blackmail.

57. DSB

@56 That’s just a load of nonsense. He didn’t make the claim, until Sony began trying to stomp a bunch of people who were never a threat to them in any way. It was a direct response to their course of action.

And quite obviously, Sony managed to fuck themselves over but good. They stand no chance of getting any money out of the guy, they ensured that their secrets would be published, and his projects be continued by others, which will lead to further conflicts that Sony can then again make a mess out of.

It’s great that they have the law on their side, but it doesn’t make their assault on Linux enthusiasts any less despicable, or unneccesary.

@55 It’s always easier to behave like a child than it is to consider what’s actually being discussed. Are we going that far over your head here mate?

58. OlderGamer

If big companies have armies of lawyers looking out for and fighting for their intrests, who is going to fight for ours?

Weather or not the consoles are closed systems or the ELUA are legaly binding or not doen’t adress the worry I have behind them in the first place. These are tools through which a big corp can use money and muscle to retain dominance over a industry and consumers supporting said industry.

All these things tell me is that Sony/MS/and other big corps thro money into making things the way they are. And they like things the way they are. Because this serves their interests.

Who serves ours?

Btw, last bit of thought, might this be one of the reasons why Closed consoles are obsolete? Why yes it is.

Howcome?

Because once you release a product into the wilds, people open it, get into it, and learn how it works. Laws aside you can’t truely control what people do behind closed doors, unless of course you buy the law to make police break down said doors.

Because closed systems also allow hardware manufactors to control content from thrid parties. Many of which have been clamoring to have just one system, an open system, that works on all hardware.

Because consumer rights get set aside in the interst of profit.

Mark my words, the next gen will be the last gen of hardware as we know it.

So many people trying to wrestle the control away from hardware manufacturers. So many people looking into Cloud like solutions. And w/o even releazing it, Sony is helping that process along.

But maybe Sony will sue those cloud people too, for attempting to undermine their core bizz model.

59. Gekidami

Make your mind up. Either there was no blackmailing, or there was. You cant say its not true then, in the same post say it is and try to justify it.

So to be clear; Blackmailing, yes or no?

Your conclusion is idiotic. Cloud gaming is even more closed then what we have now. Its even worst in that you literally dont own anything you ‘buy’ for it.
    You can thank hackers and pirates for that, btw. they’re the ones that have pushed “big corps” to take away our rights by abusing them. Publishers and companies gave their customers a hand, the hackers wanted the whole arm, and now every ones going to feel the repercussion.

60. Alakratt

Assault on Linux enthusiasts?!?! OMG!! LOOOOOOOOOL!!!! You make it sound like a fucking war!! You dude are a lost cause! But hey, I got one better for you. Nothing you say, do or think will change anything, he’s still getting buttfucked, even if you keep keep those crap ideals. I only hope Geohot get his in the near future, because thanks to them this whole breach shit got started. Fuck Geohot, fuck Graff and fuck their supporters!

@DSB
    I already made my points very clear, but you automatically believe everything Graff says and take what Sony has said as excuses. So I realized that trying to have an argument with you is like talking to a wall. There’s no way for me to find out if you really believe his shit or if you’re a fanboy, but either way, I feel sorry for you. The guy had it coming and he got it, live with it.

@Geki

Dude, I have to say, I really admire you man. Juggling these two guys who already have their minds set. They don’t care if you have proof, it won’t change their minds. Sony’s at fault bla bla bla!

61. DSB

@59 You can call it blackmail if you want, I’d call it a proportionate response, or at least an equally disproportionate one.

It’s as much blackmail as threatening to unleash a horde of lawyers if you don’t stop tinkering with a product, with the only difference being that Sony are legally entitled to do so.

If someone comes at me with measures that are completely out of proportion, without as much as attempting dialogue, then I would certainly consider that a unilateral escalation, calling for an equal measure.

@60 Keep the faith champ. Look at the ammount of homebrewers and hackers that are currently either leading, or have already sold their businesses for billions of dollars.

I’m sure you can do a lot better though, standing up for justice and what not ;)

62. Alakratt

Clearly you and I have very different meanings of justice. Still, nothing you say will change that trip to the slammer! :)

63. OlderGamer

Your missing my meaning Gek, but not suprised.

64. DSB

@62 You’re right, it won’t.

It also won’t bring Sony’s millions back, repair their reputation, or make people want Linux less on their consoles.

Everybody loses! Congrats guys!

65. Alakratt

I don’t see how I lost. I’m still playing on my PS3 and 360. I’m enjoying PSN, I have two free games. About the millions, well, I’m pretty sure a big corp like that will find a way to get those back. Oh and the linux thing, I have it installed on my laptop. So yeah, speak for yourself.

66. DSB

@65 You’re kind of an idiot, aren’t you?

You realize that it’s not your money, and not your brand, right? The only thing you’ve lost is the info you put into your PSN account.

I guess I should be very specific when responding from now on. Here’s how it should’ve gone: “Everybody (involved with this case) loses! Congrats guys!”

All idiotproof, and what not :)

67. Alakratt

Wait a minute, I thought I was the child here? But you are the one that has to resort to calling me an idiot? LOL Darn…I hope when I grow up to be a mature man I don’t end up as closed minded as you, fighting for such little things that I can have on my laptop (for free, linux you know) anyways AND run better. I guess being mature like you is not realizing that the way hackers, hacktivists and modders are doing things clearly isn’t working and instead should find a better way to show their ideals. You really are an inspiration to us children. Oh DSB, you make me laugh. Gotta go and do kids stuff!

68. DSB

@67 Have fun dude, don’t get sand in your shoes.

Hackers created Linux. That’s their holy grail. I couldn’t give less of a shit about the operating system itself, but I admire their accomplishments.

The greatest irony involved with Sony trying to hit the Linux community is that judging from their inability to protect their servers, they could use a bit of help from those guys. They might be able to drop them a hint when there’s a new version of Apache out.

69. sg1974

Oh ffs DSB take a fucking day off. For someone who calls anyone who makes the slightest positive statement on Sony a fanboy, you are sure motivated round the clock by a constant hatred for the company. Would be funny if it wasnt so stupid

70. DSB

@69 I might be trying a bit harder to make the distinction, with all the fanboys crying their eyes out, but really, I don’t hate Sony.

I just think they make some fundamentally bad decisions, that have pretty serious consequences for their business.

You can call that hatred, but really that just exposes your own bias. I’m not blaming them for anything they aren’t directly responsible for.

The attacks aren’t their fault, their inability to prevent them is.

People trying to put Linux on their console isn’t their fault, but promising them they could, is.

People hacking their consoles aren’t their fault, but shooting themselves in the foot over it, is.

I know it’s tough that I can’t get on the bandwagon and sing a little song for Sony with the rest of you guys, but ultimately I prefer to judge them by their merits, rather than what console I have sitting under my TV.

Oh, and I think you’re super stupid too. Ner ner.

71. Mike

BUT DEY MAKEZ TEH UNCHARTEDZ AND JAPANEZE GAMEZ.

72. sg1974

@70 What are you, 13? Must be, adults leave that kind of thinking and sanctimonious holier than thou bullshit in the middle school playground.

73. Mike

Only children think that adults leave that kind of thinking and sanctimonious holier than thou bullshit in the middle school playground.

As they don’t.

74. DSB

@72 Right man, completely relinquishing people of the solemn responsibility that is so obviously theirs, based on the fact that I bought their console is the adult thing to do.

I’ll do my best to try and understand the batshit logic that lies behind something as idiotic as that. Count on it!

75. Mike

It’s crazy that any comment against Sony Corp. (not PS3, its games etc.) has people jumping up and down claiming h4t3r or f4nb0y.

Ridiculous. PS3 can still be a great machine with great games and Sony Corp. still being a bunch of pricks. All at once! You can actually like one side of a company but think the top brass are penises.

Most Apple fans I know feel this way. They don’t agree with a lot of the top-level politics but still like the products. Why is it so impossible for some people to feel this way?

76. sg1974

@75 EXACTLY the point I am making, but in reverse (how a comment in favour of a company rankles the likes of DSB). Funny how it works for you and DSB one way, but not the other.

Talking of comments revealing biased opinions….

77. DSB

Really, I just saw comments about anally raping a guy for violating a patent on a console, and I thought that discussion might benefit from a slightly more nuanced point of view.

You’ve just been popping in and out of these comment sections throwing weird accusations at people, simply because we choose to consider Sony liable for their actions, or lack of same.

You haven’t been contributing to the comments themselves, beyond simple whining at anyone who doesn’t completely exhonorate the company.

In the last thread, as I remember, you claimed that my knowledge of Sony’s cyber attack was made up to somehow make the company look bad, when really it came from their own Executive Vice President.

Off the rails, much?

78. Mike

@76: I think it’s people’s general failure to accept any culpability from Sony Corp. and when the going gets tough in an argument, the people who point out Sony Corp. aren’t blameless get called “hater” and “fanboy.” Maybe if the discussion could be balanced without mudslinging and name calling and without PlayStation and Sony being confused as the same thing then you might get a discussion on the level you want it at.

The reason why you perhaps don’t get DSb or myself admitting that the hackers are (of course) also to blame is because the defence of Sony is so blanket and blinded by brand affiliation with no scope for movement or agreement that there are two sides two the argument and not just “hackers are evil and deserve to die.”

You getting it now?

79. ExxonValdez

Lol this dude is gonna get raped.

80. Telepathic.Geometry