Zelda HD Wii U confirmed, controller has web browser

Wednesday, 22nd June 2011 17:39 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Shigeru Miyamoto has confirmed an HD Zelda title is indeed coming for Wii U.

Speaking in an interview with Kotaku, Miyamoto said the title would introduce some interesting new gameplay experiences, similar to those showcased via the tech demo at E3.

“This is an HD system, our first HD system, and we want to create a real HD Zelda game for it,” he said. “You will see a lot of these in-depth and deep experiences in terms of visual style. You will also see some play styles that are fun and interesting because of the play structure.”

Miyamoto also said the Wii U controller will have a in-built web browser which users can use to surf the net. He considers this to be the single, biggest design accomplishment Nintendo has managed for the new console.

“You have a screen available at any time that you can check,” he explained. “This dedicated second screen, and the way people may use it, not just for gaming, but to do things like browse the Internet, is the Wii U’s single, biggest design accomplishment.

“When you look at most TVs in home nowadays it takes awhile for them to turn on. That becomes a barrier for people.”

A new Zelda title is good news for Nintendo fans, and if you’ve yet to watch it, you can view the tech-demo for the title shown during Nintendo’s E3 presser below, courtesy of IGN.

1. Moonwalker1982

SHIT YEAH!

Call me crazy..but i’d buy the Wii U for that Zelda!!!

2. Phoenixblight

I was thinking about buying a Wii but I think I will just get a WiiU and then play catch up with the titles from Wii like Skyward sword and hopefully some 3rd party titles that uses the Wii Pad

3. Moonwalker1982

That’s a very good idea man. But it could be like a year until Wii U comes out though, and i was gonna wait with Skyward Sword at first but after the latest gameplay demo….i neeeeeeeeds it..day one.

4. Erthazus

Thats the only thing that can sell me Wii U.

5. Christopher Jack

Zelda is completely over rated, too damn generic. Why it sells so well is completely beyond me, maybe, like Mario, it’s the fact that it’s a classic sells it.

6. OlderGamer

Kind of hard to be generic when you wrote the book to begin with CJ.

When I keep prasing Nintendo, saying I enjoyed some games on the Wii, am looking forward to owning a WiiU – games like Zelda are exactly why.

I will say it again I don’t need or want a thrid system trying to be the exact samething as the other two. I don’t want a Nintendo built version of PS360.

Looking forward to the WiiU.

7. Erthazus

@5,

1) best action adventure period
    2) Best Puzzles in the gaming industry period
    3) the most innovative Action adventure title in the industry
    4) One of The best combat system for the action adventure title

got it? Ok. I’m done.

PS: Mario is the best and the most innovative platformer to this date. Mario Galaxy 2 proves that. their ideas soon are going to be in other games as always.

8. Christopher Jack

@6, But they haven’t really changed much since creating their genre defining games, they could at least branch out but they always play it safe. The only time they ever leave their safety zone is with gimmicky games because they’re cheap to create & will sell regardless.

@7, I disagree with all your points but I’ll let you have your own opinion, the only point that I kind of agree with is innovative, it did set the template for future adventure games but that’s all I see it as, the lowest common denominator.

9. CycloneFox

Looks really cool. It’s still questionable if the wii u controller is really a neccessary feature, or if it would have been better to just make a normal controller for a “normal” HD console, BUT this Zelda Demo looks really cool and if there is one game that would make me buy a Wii U, it’s a Zelda HD. ^^

10. Erthazus

@8, “they haven’t really changed much ”

play the game, then say something about like “they haven’t changed much”.

Changes are huge and each Zelda has it’s own great puzzles.
    Zelda formula is obsolete, let someone try this formula and they always fail.

Period.

11. OlderGamer

I think a lot of inovation goes into the way the games play. I know some people call them gimmicks, but regaurdless of what words we use, the fact is the gameplay experence is changed.

Ironic really that the two most inovative things Nintendo has added most people dimiss as gimmick, motion controls, and WiiU controler interface.

I think it is a little bit like Tetris. The game took the world by storm when it came out. And today the game has not changed at all. Not for lack of trying, everything from different sized boxes, head to head play, inserting Disney char to Capcom ones, but … Its the core game that still sells. It launches several other games, but the core game doesn’t change.

And it is still just as valid today as it was years ago. Its near perfect. An old qoute(hope I gte it right) “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Thats Tetris. To some degree that defines games like Zelda, Mario, Metriod, and many others.

Sometimes, often we se games get changed because the devs are trying to take it in new directions. And thats fine so long as you remain true what you started out with in the first place. Nintendo almost always magnages to do that. Even with Waggle, Wii Zelda is still Zelda for example.

I mean if you don’t like it, thats fine. Not everyone enjoys the samething. But its a hard game to critize. I think Nintendo is hard to critizes tbh. Sure Wii branched out to less then hardcore gamers. But they still made core gameplay experiences. It would like getting ticked at your ipod because it can play Katty Perry and Gaga as well as your fav music.

But then again to each, their own.

12. Moonwalker1982

When Reggie said this Zelda video was just an experience now a game, i don’t think he was telling the truth. I bet this is the game itself, no way they are gonna make something like this just to show it off and thats it.

13. OlderGamer

If Nintendo can put an equaly high quality Mario game up there with Zelda at or near launch. WiiU will fly off of the shelf. Imagine, and it won’t happen in todays world, but imagine if WiiU came in tow flavors, Zelda Pack in and Mario pack in.

14. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Way i see it……Wii U is a temporary solution for Nintendo.

The next Nintendo system I buy will be sure to not have the name Wii in the title.

15. kezwar

This just screams re-release to me.

@10 I don’t really believe the Zelda franchise has changed much at all since OOT. Majora’s Mas was OOT wit, er, masks. Wind Waker was OOT-Cel shaded edition with added boat sections, Twilight Princess was OOT with a dog and slapped on Wii functionality, and Skyward Sword looks as though it is OOT with motion-plus.

They were all fantastic, but none of them were drastically different than the previous versions. I love Zelda, but when I was playing through Twilight I just really felt that the series needed a serious shake up and as much as I’m looking forward to Skyward Sword, I don’t believe that it is the much-needed re-boot I think it needs.

16. xino

take my advice…get Google Chrome for Wii U

17. revsouly

Was that a Tech-Demo or the actual game build?

He wasn’t controlling anything but ambient lighting and such,

…someone please enlighten me.

18. Debabrata Nath

@17: That was the tech-demo. It had some controllable sequences but it wasn’t the actual game build.

19. Phoenixblight

Its a tech demo its not any actual game. Miyamoto was just saying they do plan on making a Zelda game for the WiiU not exactly this particular version.

20. revsouly

@18 & 19,

ok, thanks.

I hope games don’t turn out like Gamecubes ‘Crystal Chronicles’ with the GBA connection. That was pretty bad.

21. carp

@15 You don’t think the games were drastically different? You can’t tell me that MM played anything like OoT. Or did you forget about the groundhog day element that was totally original, completely changed the way you played the game and has never been attempted by other developers since?

“OoT with Masks”, honestly. OoT also had masks…

22. YodaJokerBacon

Ofcourse it’s going to have a fucking HD Zelda, does anyone think Miyamoto is an idiot? I didn’t think so.

So what’s the news here exactly?

23. manamana

… the browser on tabletcontrollerthing, maybe? And it better be a good browser to browse the interwebs.

24. HeavenlyGamer

@5, Christopher Jack

If you think Zelda is overrated, what is in your opinion an amazing game? Let me guess, CoD Black Ops?

25. kezwar

@15 My descriptions were overly simplified to exaggerate my point, but I still stand by my original point that none of those games were drastically different from the last. Agreed, the 24 hour thing in MM added a whole new dynamic to the gameplay, and the Masks were very innovative especially for its time, but the meat of the game was essentially the same. Dungeon after dungeon in methodical order,discovering new weapons that help you solve puzzles to get to the boss of the dungeon.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved all of them, I just think the series needs a shake-up to avoid becoming stagnant.

26. Moonwalker1982

Too bad he ain’t saying if it’s already in development. I just hope when the Wii U comes out, waiting for this Zelda won’t be ridiculously long. let’s face it..why did it have to take so long for Skyward Sword to finally come out?

The Wii U should launch with either Mario or Zelda…back to the Snes and N64 days that released with SMW, and Mario 64. Miyamoto doesn’t nessecarily say it will look like the tech demo, he’s talking about in-depth experiences in terms of visual style…..well this Zelda is something i’ve personally waited well….forever for.

27. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, this is basically a non-story as far as I can see. Has there ever been a Nintendo console that didn’t have at least one Zelda game? And most had two or three. Why would anyone imagine that they weren’t doing a Wii U Zelda title? I’m puzzled.

Now if they said it’s already deep in development, that’d be a different story.

28. Lounds