Uncredited L.A. Noire staff describe Team Bondi crunch conditions

Tuesday, 21st June 2011 07:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Further to claims of over 100 missing staff credits for L.A. Noire, an alleged inside source has described crunched conditions at Team Bondi which led to the departure of frustrated staff.

Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, an ex-Team Bondi staffer said he had to leave the studio before L.A. Noire shipped because he felt his “sanity depended on it”.

Development staff were allegedly made to work up to 12 hours each day, and through weekends, with little encouragement or support from management.

Although long hours and weekend work are common during crunch time, the source said he’d suffered these conditions for over a year before quitting – before L.A. Noire shipped, meaning the crunch likely extended well beyond 12 months.

Another source, apparently one of the creators of lanoirecredits.com, said that staff were warned they wouldn’t be credited if they left Team Bondi before the game shipped, which goes against the IGDA’s guidelines for ethical credits.

Thanks, Shack.

1. Fin

There seems to be a pattern with Rockstar games, same thing happened with Red Dead.

2. HauntaVirus

Damn, that would be tough. I can imagine that though, the human mind can only handle so much until someone snaps.

3. GamezIdiot

Depressing normality in the games industry is depressing.

4. xxJPRACERxx

What I hate the most is meanwhile the management was probably playing golf…

5. YoungZer0

Good god, that’s so sad, especially if you consider how fucking boring the end product was. Seriously, while playing i had to ask the question “Is this really necessary?” so many times. Is it really necessary that the game is open world, considering there is nothing to do? Is it really necessary to have so much graphical power behind all this?

I think most of the people got pushed for nothing.

6. DSB

After picking up the Witcher 2, I’m even more underwhelmed by LA Noire. The Witcher 2 doesn’t have the facial technology (Hurhur) it just has excellent writing, great models and good voice actors, and that’s far more evocative than a bunch of crashtestdummy-polygon looking people with ultra-elastic faces.

And the tits are ten times better in that game too.

@5 Exactly. Sadly slapping the Rockstar logo onto a game ultimately adds 2 stars to any review.

7. YoungZer0

@6: The biggest problem for me is the writing and the actors themselves. Every single main character is sooooo fucking boring and uninteresting, i just couldn’t care about any of ‘em! Especially Cole Phelps.

I like the actor in Mad Men, but not as the main protagonist, same goes for Jack, boring looking guy saying boring stuff.

btw. Not only does Witcher 2 include superb boobs, but i also modded some of the content, for example gave Geralt Warpaint and all that, while looking through the texture files i discovered that CD Projekt Red actually took the time to include very detailed labia on Trish’s body.

8. DSB

@7 Bless their souls, seriously.

I actually went through the trouble of playing through the first one before buying the squel, and somehow that just makes the second one even better. I’m no more than 2 hours into the game and I’m blown away. I’m not a platform fanatic, but it totally makes it worth owning a highpowered PC.

The actors in L.A. Noire are obviously great too, but it’s all so clunky and slow, including the writing. They really don’t get to act a lot.

9. Gigabomber

Wow. I thought I was the only one that felt LA Noire was a horrible tech showpiece.

10. sb319

Personally I found LAN a breath of fresh air. There are rough edges, but I enjoyed what it had to offer.

It doesn’t matter to me how Team Bondi chooses to run their shit, or how they credit staff for that matter. There is no story here.

11. osric90

I wish you knew what happens on filmmaking EVERYDAY. You would be scared as shit if this impresses you.