“Kinect has got some problems,” says Molyneux

Tuesday, 21st June 2011 09:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux has said that Kinect does have some issues currently as “an input device.”

Speaking to Gaming Union at E3, Molyneux – arguably Kinect’s supporter in first-party terms at least – said that navigation with the motion camera was “a real problem.”

“I’ll admit that Kinect has got some problems. As an input device it has some real problems. Without a thumb stick, navigation is a real problem,” he said.

“You haven’t got any buttons, so ordering the player to do something can be somewhat of a problem.”

But he did go on to say that the camera had “a great sense of freedom and emotion.” So not all is gloom and doom with Pete and Kinect.

He also explained how development on Fable: The Journey – which absolutely isn’t on rails at all – came about.

“It started about seven months ago when Microsoft came to us and said, ‘Look we want you to do a [Kinect] experience for the core gamers’,” said Molyneux.

“So we sat down and thought through the problems with that, and the first thing was figuring out how we can make Kinect more engaging, more engrossing, and more emotional than any control-based game or any Fable game has ever been before.”

Fable: The Journey launches in 2012 for 360.

1. Moonwalker1982

So either on-rails on-foot sections or no on-foot sections at all.

2. Ge0force

#1 Rise of the Nightmares has some dumb system where you need to lean to move your character. According to the previews I read, it works awful.

Ontopic: so Fable – The Journey is a hardcore Kinect experience? I pitty the hardcore gamers only owning a x360.

3. viralshag

So let me get this right… “Microsoft came to us and said, ‘Look we want you to do a [Kinect] experience for the core gamers,’”

And the only thing Peter could think of was a spin-off of Fable? Or did MS ask for another (most likely not as good as the first) Fable?

I think him and his studio should find a new project. I like Fable as a franchise but it’s not really going anywhere and even me, as a big fan of Molyneux, am getting tired of hearing him say how innovative and creative his games are and then they just end up as a pretty standard.

How about making something similar to Black & White, where I can use Kinect for something it might actually be good for in RTS. And then to mix it up, I can have some Kinect control over an avatar to destroy enemies etc…

4. Lounds

Basically he’s saying the move is easier to make games for.

5. Blerk

So… why didn’t he do a game which utilised both the pad and the Kinect? You only need to lift one hand up to chuck magic shit, surely?

6. mojo

5: because in the world of ms, you are the controller. theres ur controller. push some buttons.

topic:
    as someone over at eurogamer said:
    “Well, as long as ‘navigation’ and ‘doing things’ are the only problems!

I mean what games or software have ever required those elements? “

7. Aimless

I don’t understand why so many people are trying to make watered down Kinect versions of games you’d traditionally play with a controller. That’s only creating new problems, not solving any.

Quite why we’re seeing a Fable rail-shooter — I said it, Pete! — rather than a reinvention of Black & White is beyond me; what game is more befitting of manipulating the environment with your hands?

8. MadFingerz

^You nailed it! B&W would be a much better fit for kinect. But dear Petey is too much of a wack to realise that apparently.

9. mojo

no, B&W bombed saleswise and it would be a too weak ip to be considered for a kinect core game by ms. imo
    gameing wise i completely agree, but what does gaming count for gaming these days`?

10. ultramega

Basically he’s saying that trying to control a game solely by motions, lacking any sort of buttons, is fucking retarded.

11. IL DUCE

@4 well of course the Move is easier, its a friggin Wii clone moron…

@5 yeah that’s what everyone needs to realize, its too hard to do just Kinect games that have real depth or any complicated features…idk I will just be glad when the motion gaming is just forgotten…

@6 LOL…yeah it probably was on rails but when everyone started asking if it was with a negative connotation PM said absolutely not and quickly called the dev team to change the entire game… LOL

12. TVs Everywhere

Yeah, the Kinect only has “some” problems. Such as FUNDAMENTAL game mechanics such as BASIC NAVIGATION including but not limted to “walking”. But yeah, it’s no biggie.

Seriously, the Kinect is a joke. It has absolutely no place in gaming, not because it’s “motion control”, but because this specific implementation of motion control completely ignores basic, fundamental game conventions. This is like Ford designing an “all new car” that has no wheels, and trying to convince people to buy it. They go to auto shows showing it off where the people demoing the thing can barely control it and there’s sparks flying everywhere. This is what Microsoft looks like.

No, Microsoft. Don’t spit in my face and tell me it’s raining. This damn thing doesn’t work for gaming. You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. The technology is really cool and I love seeing people work all kinds of neat applications for it, but this is NOT gaming peripheral and it absolutely baffles me as to why Microsoft even introduced this into their XBox brand in the first place.

Technology only properly evolves when a new implementation of an existing technology is a pure upgrade over the old one. Kinect does nothing of the sort. The only thing it does is introduce new problems that weren’t there before, including a significant lack of player control, lack of precision, lack of any real feedback, etc., all while offering no new solutions.

From the very beginning my question to Microsoft was “Why is this necessary?” To this day they haven’t answered this at all, instead opting for showing shitty demos that don’t work to millions of people and continuing to parrot their “THIS IS IMPORTANT” mantra. No, Microsoft. You don’t repeat things until they’re true. Technology doesn’t work that way.