Fable technical director farewells Lionhead

Tuesday, 21st June 2011 13:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Simon Carter, lead technical director on the Fable series, has left Lionhead Studios, apparently to found a new company with brother Dene Carter.

“The decision to leave Lionhead was a very difficult one. After initiating the franchise over a decade ago I still love the world of Fable, and I’m very proud of what Big Blue Box and Lionhead achieved,” Carter told GamesIndustry.

“I’m leaving behind some very good friends and some of the best developers in the industry, and I couldn’t have chosen a better group of people to spend the last ten years with.”

Carter commented that “this is the time to do something different”. Details of his new activities will surface once Dene Carter, also a former Lionhead staffer, completes his own projects.

Carter co-founded Lionhead’s Blue Box Studios satellit, whence originated the Fable franchise. He had served alongside Lionhead leader Peter Molyneux since the days of Bullfrog, and contributed to Dungeon Keeper.

Good luck to both Carter brothers with their future endeavours; we’re looking forward to hearing about it.

1. Zurtech

Woohoo! Hope this means we’ll get some proper games again. ^_^

2. DSB

I figure he just got tired of trying to find new ways to waste players time instead of making an actual game.

3. Phoenixblight

Technical Director is in charge of all the technical things ie Programming and the systems behind the scenes so as long as Peter Molyneux is in charge very little will change.

4. mickey2002

“best developers in the industry” yet they can’t be bothered to fix the demon doors achievement glitch <_< meh they can stuff it.

5. Blerk

Tell me, will there be “pads” at this new venture? Hmm?

6. deathgaze

Translation: I’m tired of being Molyneux’s bitch. I’m sick of making Fable games.

7. manamana

The only thing he must be sick of at this time, must be the whole Kinect pressure. As Technical Director he had no clue how to make a good Fable experience with Kinect, I guess.

8. rainer

Wow that guy has been with Molyneux a very long time if going back to Bullfrog days, good luck in the future although I’m guessing it’s going to be smartphone games.

@6 You know Lionhead had a varied output before they sold out to MS and it’s likely MS just wants them to keep making Fable games forever.

9. Ge0force

Can’t blame the guy. Good luck with your further carriere m8!

10. The Massive Slag

I used to work with both these guys at Bullfrog, and they’re fantastically talented guys. The twin brothers Sam & Max in both Fable 2 & 3 are actually based on Dene and Simon! Best of luck guys!