Tretton to Nintendo: “Welcome to the party”

Monday, 20th June 2011 02:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

SCE America boss Jack Tretton has said the Wii U isn’t a threat to the PlayStation 3, and commented on the unlikelihood of a PlayStation 4 any time soon.

“PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride. And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have,” the executive told Forbes.

“What we’ve seen from the competition is trying to add features that already exist in PlayStation 3. … I wouldn’t look for any discussion of a next generation PlayStation for quite some time.”

Tretton doesn’t feel threatened by the new kid on the block, either, dismissing the Wii U.

“I didn’t see anything about Nintendo’s announcement that said ‘Oh, we’d better get working on rolling out a new PlayStation here pretty soon,’” he said

“Our attitude is kind of ‘welcome to the party.’ If you’re looking at being a multimedia entertainment device, if you’re looking at high def gaming, that was 2006 for us.”

But Sony does have a new bit of kit in the works with PlayStation Vita, and Tretton is adamant the handheld will appeal to the core gamer – because that’s who buys games.

“We want to go after the core gamer, the person that’s the uber user, that’s really going to intuitively know what they want when they first pick it up. And the key will be whether we can scale to a very casual entry level consumer.

“I’d like both of you, but if I had to get one, I’d rather get the gamer, because the mom may not buy the same amount of games.

“… We’ll always lead with the gaming message. … Gaming is our core strength and we’re going to play to our core. But I think we’ve learned a lot of lessons from the PSP in terms of mass non-gaming audiences, and we’re going to try to tap into some of that with Vita.”

Tretton commented that the PlayStation 3 is a “Trojan horse” for gaming, luring in family members with media features like video streaming, and then getting them on board the gaming bandwagon.

“That’s kind of the way I look at the whole advent of casual and social gaming. People are always asking ‘Do you see it as a threat?’ I see it as an opportunity, because your mother may have said ten years ago, ‘I wouldn’t touch a game for all the money in the world,’ but now she may be playing something on a smartphone. There’s a much better chance to introduce her to Vita today than five years ago,” he explained.

Sony hopes to make Vita essential gear, grabbed out of habit.

“… I don’t carry a laptop anymore. Something like a Blackberry’s perfect for the vast majority of what I need a laptop for. And then I think when it comes to entertainment, you’ll find that Vita will do everything, and maybe do things better, than any other device that you’re using.”

Vita is expected to launch by the holiday period.

Thanks, CVG.

1. G1GAHURTZ

‘Yeah, us and all of our uber users welcome you to the party, which has been zero fun for us since we arrived!’

2. TheWulf

That’s smart, Sony. That’s exactly what we need right now, something to up the development costs of games and make them more expensive when the world is pretty much still in a financial crisis.

It won’t work.

The 360 is considered the standard point of development at the moment and the main platform for most things. It’s not my platform, but even I’m big enough to admit this with the majority of triple-A games. Now, with the Wii University of Waggling Arts being of comparable specs to the 360, it means that ports between the two will be easy.

If a PS4 did happen then all it would get are ports from the other consoles at the level that those consoles use, perhaps with just some higher res textures or somesuch. Basically exactly the same situation as there is on the PC right now, then.

And that’ll be a lot of money for people to spend for a bunch of higher-res textures when they could easily get a PC that can outspec the PS3 for cheaper than the PS3.

Sony continues to hurt itself with bad decisions. A new day, nothing changes.

3. ultramega

Bro, what are you even on about? This article has nothing to do with anything you said.

4. mojo

“PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride.”

There. Again. He said it again!!
    wheres erth?

1: ?

““When you walk out the door, you say ‘I gotta have this, I gotta have that’… it’s wallet, car keys, money, and phone, right? We want, if you’re thinking about entertainment at all, for the Vita to go in there,” Tretton said.”
    this will fail hard.

5. Kuwabara

Sorry nintendo, but ur late to the party, infact you missed it years ago.Nintendo u were once considered the greatest system, the hardcore gamers system, now you are dead, trying to regain the status of king, but its too late, sony and microsoft are the big boys now, while you are a little bitch.I seriously hope the new nintendo, not this wii uy shit, has a lot of money invested into it, and comes out with a great design, specs better if not the same as the next ps4/xbox 720, with exclusives from major developers, with a marketing aimed for teens and adults, the hardcore games, not the softcore casuals.

6. Erthazus

“PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride.”

Yeah… Sub HD (Upscaled 720p), no grass, Direct X9, slow blu ray player

Oops

7. Blerk

“I wouldn’t look for any discussion of a next generation PlayStation for quite some time.”

At least not until Microsoft announce their new machine, anyway. :-D

8. Exzeerex

Oh Jack, women playing video games is just a myth. The only games they play are the mental ones with their “feelings” ;)

9. Kuwabara

Erth u idiot, lol. There are ps3 exclusives that look better than any xbox 360 game and most pc games. Uncharted 2 for example, is probably the best looking game in history! Sorry your crysis has no artistic beauty for the most part, just high res and some technical stuff, while crysis 2 sucked. And about grass, ps2s snake eater has the best grass of any game, im sure there are games on ps3 that do grass!! Imagine snake eater as a ps3 title!! grass heaven!!

10. TVs Everywhere

@Erthazus:
    “PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride.”

Yeah… Sub HD (Upscaled 720p), no grass, Direct X9, slow blu ray player

Oops

“Oops” for console gaming in general. You realize you’re talking about 2006 hardware, right?

Tretton’s saying Nintendo’s massively outdated in philosophy and design, not only jumping on the HD bandwagon FAR too late but using hardware only marginally better than 2006 standards to boot. And you know what? He’s completely right.

At this point if I want anything “cutting edge” I just use my PC. But even for console standards, the Wii U and Nintendo in general aren’t impressive by any stretch of the imagination. Even the “synching handheld screen to console” was done YEARS ago by Nintendo themselves and is just yawn inducing.

@Kuwabara:

You’ve clearly never played Crysis if you say it has no artistic beauty. Not very many games render frozen beaches and intricately detailed alien ship interiors, but hey, I bet you think the entire game consists of the tropical setting anyway.