id Software, Carmack “tossing around possibillies” for Quake 5

Friday, 17th June 2011 13:37 GMT By Johnny Cullen

id Software tech chief John Carmack has said that the studio looking at the “possibilities” on what Quake 5 could be revolved around.

He was quick to say that nothing was rolling officially, though.

“We went from the Quake 2 and the Quake 4 Strogg universe. We are at least tossing around the possibilities of going back to the bizarre, mixed up Cthulhu-ish Quake 1 world and rebooting that direction,” Carmack told EG.

“We think that would be a more interesting direction than doing more Strogg stuff after Quake 4. We certainly have strong factions internally that want to go do this.

“But we could do something pretty grand like that, that still tweaks the memory right in all of those ways, but is actually cohesive and plays with all of the strengths of the level we’re at right now.”

id CEO Todd Hollenshead added: “People shouldn’t worry that we’re ever going to orphan or abandon Quake. We are huge fans of the game internally.”

id’s next game, RAGE, releases in October for PS3, 360 and PC. DOOM 4 is next afterwards.

1. Hunam

I love a good monster shooter me.

2. BULArmy

I prefer proper new Wolfenstein with proper badass MP like RtCW and Enemy Territory and now that joke Wolfenstein(2009) even though the SP was very good. Actually HD RtCW with the new engine would be great.

3. pukem0n

iD SHOULD work with Splash Damage on a new shooter.

RtCW and Enemy Territory were just the best shooters for almost a decade. ET still is enjoyable if you arent afraid of the graphics.

4. DuckOfDestiny

I hope id choose to develop it themselves instead of passing it off to another studio.

5. IL DUCE

@4 Yeah they will no longer be passing anything on to other studios since they were bought by Bethesda/Zenimax in 2009…not to mention I actually believe Carmack himself has said that in a interview not too long ago…

But I would be down for a Quake 5, I assume over the next 10 years they will do new entries to all their big IPs again…probably Doom 4, Quake 5, Wolfenstein and Rage 2

@2 I agree Wolfenstein SP was pretty decent, multi was pretty shitty though

@3 that’s a really great idea, they were innovative with Brink but it just needed something else and some more help…I think if Splash Damage and some of the core id team got together we would see something really special…

6. Lewis247

More excited to see doom 4 than another quake. Quake 4 was actually a really awesome game, always remember playing it on my uncles computer and thought it looked amazing and loved the story line so. Quake 5 should definetely be made but looking more forward to doom 4.

7. wiking

Come on, they’re not independent anymore so you know Quake: Modern Warfare is what they’re really planning.

8. DuckOfDestiny

@6 To be honest, if it’s anything like Doom 3, I’m not interested. Basically everything I expected Doom 3 to be was what Painkiller was. It felt that they tried way too hard to make it a more serious game, which Doom is certainly not.

9. Maximum Payne

Agree on Wolfenstein I want both sequel and Remake!
    But for Quake V they need innovate because Quake 4 even then was just solid nothing more and MP is way old now…