WiiMotion Plus almost dropped from Zelda: Skyward Sword, says Aonuma

Thursday, 16th June 2011 10:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has said that WiiMotion Plus was almost dropped for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Speaking to IGN, Aonuma admitted that it worked on the game without the tech for two or three months, but decided to reintroduce it into the game with the help of Wii Sports dev Katsuya Eguchi.

“Mr. Eguchi came to me and said, ‘Look at all these things you can do with Motion Plus, why wouldn’t you use this in a Zelda game? It would be strange not to!’,” Aonuma said.

And there you have it. Imagine a world where Skyward didn’t have WMP. Now you don’t have to worry about the possibility.

Zelda: Skyward Sword launches this holiday for Wii.

1. Blerk

I wish they had dropped it. The sword stuff appears to be almost exactly what I don’t want from my Zelda game.

Ho hum. That’s both flavours of Zelda ruined for me, then.

/hates on stylus controls too

2. Telepathic.Geometry

Blerkie, you disappoint me. The controls I’ve seen looks like fun. I think you’ve been letting down Pat and not taking drugs again, haven’t you. /stern look

3. Blerk

I’m on downers today.

It looks fun for about five minutes, until you realise that actually you don’t play Zelda for the combat and you can’t be arsed waving your arm around like a maniac any more. Zelda’s for 2-3 hour veg-out-on-the-sofa-solving-puzzles marathons, I don’t want ‘realistic swordplay’.

4. Fin

To be fair, while Phantom Hourglass wasn’t great, Spirit Tracks was very enjoyable indeed.

But yeah, I’d consider buying it if it had no motion controls. As it is, it’ll be the first Zelda game since Ocarina I don’t intend playing (and Ocarina was when I was introduced to the series).

5. Blerk

I didn’t like Spirit Tracks either, sadly. Stylus control of Link makes me want to punch people. Specifically the people who invented stylus control for Link.

6. triggerhappy686

Yeh down with motion plus exclusive controls. I was finally going to buy a wii for this but instead it ended up on my burn list :(

I read the article on ign and I was thiking that if motion plus was dropped at one point then regular controls must be in there some where… who knows mabey it will have pad support too.