Original Xbox controllers to guest star at Halo Fest

Thursday, 16th June 2011 01:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If you have enormous hands and a love for all things Halo, boy, has Halo Fest got a treat for you.

Answering fan questions on NeoGaf, 343 Industries’ Frank O’Connor mentioned the studio is trying to get hold of some original Xbox controllers and rejig them for use with Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, as a special treat for attendees of Halo Fest.

Only about six will be made, by experienced controller customisers, and will later be auctioned off for charity.

Halo Fest runs August 26-28, as part of PAX Prime in Seattle. Get more information here.

The first Xbox controller, called the Duke, was about the size and shape of a full-grown grizzly bear.

Plenty of people considered this an excellent thing, but I can barely get my abnormally different hands around the much smaller and lighter Xbox 360 controller. I will never understand you.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. LOLshock94

noooooo worst controller ever

2. Brenna Hillier

Lots of people genuinely like it, even over the revised version. Bizzaro world.

3. Bloodyghost

lol I remember this juggernaut. I remember playing Halo 1 for the first time with this and my little hands felt like I was trying to work a damn series of turn tables just to press a button.

I like it when my hands got bigger tho, but by then my brothers actually got another Small controller for Mr. Player 3.

Cant wait to see some Halo 1 Anniversary. I am a big Halo fanatic and hope 343 continues the stride.

4. xxJPRACERxx

I really liked that one.

5. G1GAHURTZ

Cool pad, apart from the face buttons, which were way too close.

It had a very distinctive sound whenever it rumbled, too.

6. Christopher Jack

I despised the original Xbox controller, thankfully MS decided to adopt a dualshock-like design & just replace the left stick with the D-pad. You NEED 4 buttons at the top of the controller-it confuses me why Sony decided to leave them out with the Xperia Play, PSP & PSV, it’ll make direct ports a little difficult unless you replace L2/R2 with a section on the touchpad/screen.
    The main complaint that I have about the current Xbox controller is the deadzone is too large, & also the battery pack is placed where my long fingers should be resting. I’ve grown attached to making slight movements with high sensitivity on my dualshock but the deadzone on the 360 controller make this impossible.
    Not saying that the dualshock is perfect, it feels crammed by it’s smaller size & the triggers are crap.

7. Atrak

Ok granted I am 6’4″ but I really like my giant xbox controller, I still use it (with XBCD) for pc based racing games. (although support nowadays for the newer titles is waning fast and I’ll be forced to buy a 360 controller soon I know it).

Oh it was horrid for fighting games though I will definately admit that, the D-pad on it is pretty shocking.

While i can understand why most people would hate it there are those of us in the world whose giant hands fit it perfectly. :-)

Of course using a Dualshock with these meaty paws is very annoying and I really wish sony would release a larger version of their controller for the not so petite user. (while 3rd party controllers like the Wireless Pro Elite are better they arent quie as responsive as the bluetooth-based official controllers).

8. Blerk

They were HUGE! But they weren’t as bad as people made out. Although I do have hands like shovels.

9. G1GAHURTZ

@6:

I’m pretty sure that all deadzone issues will be game specific.

I play 360 FPS’s on the highest sensitivity, and I only need slight touches to turn/aim.

10. Christopher Jack

I think that the wired 360 controller has the best overall feel although the D-pad is poorly designed & the triggers feel too thin, at least the main complain I have about the design on the wireless version(the oversized battery pack where my fingers should be resting) doesn’t exist on the wired version, still plagued by that large deadzone.

I don’t care where the left stick’s placement is on either the dualshock or Xbox controller, they’re both similar enough for me & they both have their disadvantages.

@9, I’ve played most of the major FPS from Halo & CoD to Battlefield & I still have that issue, I NEED that slight movement because I’m not exactly the best aim at high speeds.

11. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not sure what you mean?

Are you saying that there is an area around the center of the thumbstick that you can move the thumbstick in, but nothing happens in-game?

I’ve never noticed it before, and like I said, my CoD sensitivity is all the way up to 10, and I can’t tell the difference between PS3 and 360 when it comes to a deadzone.

By the way, the wired pad, which I use (especially necessary for twitch gaming) has no battery pack on the back. Another plus point is the lack of a need to buy new batteries…

12. DrDamn

I find the PS controller has less resistance in the sticks and coupled with the convex tops and my sweaty paws this makes the 360 controller feel better for me in FPS. Just a preference though.

@G1GAHURTZ
    Have you always played with max sensitivity? I’ve commented on your youtube vids before that you have scary accuracy in terms of shifting aim to the opponents and taking them down. Never been able to handle really high sensitivity though – if anything I can end up taking it down for finer control.

13. JackTheLittle

xbox controller is so like the dreamcast one.even the triggers and sticks and X,Y…
    they’re just duplicate.so who’s mimicking?sega?!!! come on micro!tell me yourself…

14. Christopher Jack

@11, Test it for yourself, move it slightly & you’ll find a few MM before our actions appear on screen.

15. Gadzooks!

There is absolutely zero deadzone on the 360 controller itself. A quick spin in Dirt 3 highlights this perfectly. Most FPS and TPS introduce software deadzone for less twitchy control, but the hardware itself, barring sensor wear, is deadzone-free.

16. G1GAHURTZ

@ DD:

No, I played pretty much all of CoD4 on medium. I only decided to try playing it on a higher sensitivity when I got MW2.

It took me about a week or so (about 20-25 hours) to get used to it. I had to go up level by level until I got used to each one. I remember thinking that level 5 or something was way too sensitive, but eventually, it started to seem too slow.

I like playing on that sensitivity, because aiming isn’t too far off PC speeds, if it’s even behind at all.

As for accuracy, it’s just practice. Sometimes, when I haven’t played for a while, I’m aiming all over the place until I get back into the groove.

17. G1GAHURTZ

@14:

I just tried it on my pad, and you seem to be right. There are a couple of millimeters in all directions before you start hitting resistance.

It’s never been an issue for me before… You must have some hyper sensitive fingers!

18. IL DUCE

I have about 4 of them back at my parents house…and the actual legit big boys that shipped with the console when it was first released…not the ones they scaled down a bit later on…I don’t have the biggest hands in the world but the ps3 dual shocks are way too dainty and also made smaller for historically more slender handed people…while since the x box is made in america, it is more suited for a regular or bigger hand type…I think the 360 controller is perfect but those original x box ones were pretty damn big…