Femshep to appear in Mass Effect 3 marketing

Thursday, 16th June 2011 23:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

After years of pretending she’s not a gazillion times better than her male counterpart, EA and BioWare are set to give the female version of Commander Shepard a portion of the attention she deserves.

Bioware’s marketing director, David Silverman, has been reaching out to Mass Effect and FemShep fans over the past few months, and announced two wins for the community.

“There will be a FemShep trailer,” he tweeted.

“We actually had a meeting on her yesterday. We are working on the look now.”

The standard FemShep look morphed slightly between the original Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, and BioWare is apparently keen to utilise feedback from the legion of fans on the Commandr’s appearance.

“YOU all via twitter and your posts actually aided in the decision of what FemShep looks like,” Silverman explained.

FemShep will also make an appearance on the collector’s edition of the game.

“Both MaleShep and FemShep are featured on the CE,” Silverman noted. “One side male, one side female.”

Kudos to BioWare and EA for having the guts to buck industry paranoia about women protagonists and marketing. FemShep forever, amirite?

Mass Effect 3 is due in the first quarter of 2012.

Thanks, Kotaku.

[image]

1. Hunam

It’s always been femme shep. For one, Jennifer Hale can act. Hell, she can say words and sound like a human being. Male shep cannot.

2. Johnny Cullen

Love – LOVE – Femshep. Basically, my character on 360 and PS3 is mostly the same.

3. YoungZer0

Never understood the fanboy fapping for Jennifer Hale. Her voice is absolutely mediocre. Most of the time she sounds cold, distant and robotic. Her Interpretation of Shepard is also … well bad.

She sounds like someone desperately trying to sound tough, someone trying to sound like a soldier. Male Shepard sounds like a soldier without a sweat. He always sounds like someone who’s in control, someone who’s patient but also quick to the point when talking. Hale always drags every single dialog she speaks, puts useless weight on every word she says and way to much emotion into every speech she holds. She simply sounds like an actress trying to sound like a soldier.

And that’s why i could never bare playing Female Shepard. When i first managed to create a tough but attractive Female Shepard i heard the voice and immediately went back playing Male Shepard.

That’s why Shepard – for me – can only be Male. I think promoting Female Shepard will only confuse people who are not familiar with the franchise.

Besides, if they really are trying to work on the look of Fem-Shep (Lets be honest she looks mediocre), how about they start with making the hair not look like plastic shit glued to the head. Can’t be this hard to pull off.

4. pukem0n

i played with male shepard in ME1 on PC, tried femshep in ME2 on 360 and somehow liked it. its nicer to hear most of the dialogue coming from a woman. dunno why.

5. Hunam

@3 Everything you say is wrong. So, so wrong.

She looks fine too. Do you just hate women?

6. Giskard

@3 Completely agree with you.

I guess they could find worse things to do with their time.. No, not likely.

Male Shepard is superior in each and every way.

7. YoungZer0

@5: Just deal with it. FemShep sucks. Looks like Character-Creation went wrong and sounds like- well i already said what she sounds like. I just know alot of soldiers and two of them are female. You know what they sound like when they talk? Not like FemShep.

8. Hunam

Man shep sounds like the human personification of cardboard. He’s just the dullest drone that ever lived.

Who cares what soldiers look and sound like, the game has spaceships and sex with aliens, realism went out the cargo hold a few lightyears back.

9. YoungZer0

@8: See that were you’re wrong. That’s the appeal of the best sci-fi. The universe has to make sense. It needs to have patterns we recognize from our world.

For me that’s the biggest appeal of Mass Effect. That’s a future you could live in. The design especially from the suits, to the weapons, to the vehicles.

And in this case: The way someone talks. Fem Shepard would never earn any respect with her emotional speeches.

10. KingCancer

if you wondered why male shepard sucks so bad just take a look at this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Meer

mark meer & cam clarke are two of the worst voice actors in games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxUiNQGZEVk ryudo someone fucking kill me please. these two cunts make me wished i was deaf.

11. onlineatron

Fuckbooyah Jennifer Hale.

Femshep is the Shep for me.

12. GwynbleiddiuM

Well, I always liked the Femshep and I always played with both, actually my Femshep was always more badass. Something about Jennifer Hale just screams badassness.

13. Keivz

@3 & @7
    I couldn’t agree more. I did an entire playthrough with femshep and I don’t understand the appeal.

14. Uncontested

I couldn’t take females in the RL military seriously, def can’t take a FemShep seriously either. It is what it is.

15. Zurtech

Brilliant news! Tis about time. ^_^

16. Espers

so it’s all about women commanding every game now ?!

God I can’t imagine this commander losing her make-up tool kit and running like a crazy bitch in every corner of the spaceship .. LMAO ^_^

17. DuckOfDestiny

The FemShep fanboys just prefer her because they like to touch themselves while they play.

18. Blerk

Is it just me or have the comments here gotten a bit… weird.

19. YoungZer0

@10: I really don’t understand your whole comment. You complain about the looks of Mark Meer? He’s a voiceactor, you moron!

You then go on to complain about Cam Clarke, who has nothing to do with Mark Meer and even post a youtube video of his performance. Grandia 2 a Game which didn’t even include Meer.

But you know who also worked on Grandia 2? Jennifer Hale. And she sounds bad in it.

20. OrbitMonkey

Surprised no-one has made the “if I gotta look at a characters ass for 20+ hours, I want it to be a female ass” comment.

Which is the real appeal of femshep, that and the lesbian sex obviously :)

21. YoungZer0

@20: Usually the camera is a little bit too close to her to really show off her ass. But i agree, that’s the usual insecure “I’M NOT GAY” answer.

22. The_Red

FemShep >> MaleShep. Hale FTW!

23. IL DUCE

OMG who gives a shit…when I first read marketing I thought that meant all the trailers but they are putting out A femshep trailer, so obv not as popular as everyone thinks or else they would do more than A trailer…

Not to mention I remember reading Mass Effect 2 stats on this site and only like 20% played as Femshep, maybe even less…I guess its just a game industry, you hear about how “cool” femshep is, but the overwhelming majority of people do not play as a female Sheppard…kind of like they put all these classes in for choice, but something like 90% played the game as the Soldier class…

24. KingCancer

YoungZer0 your a nim-witted cunt. I wasn’t talking to you because your an idiot. I posted the picture so everyone can see why mark meer sounds like a faggot cause he looks like a faggot and is a faggot. since your too fucking stupid to understand the 2nd half of my comment that was also not addressed to you. i said mark meer and cam clark are two of the worst voice actors EVER! pretty god damn simple eh, NO? because your an imbecile. and for the record you dumb fucking cunt cam clark plays Private Fredericks and Additional Voices in mass effect and its painful. you make me wish i couldn’t read as much as these two cunts make me wish i was deaf. go kill yourself you stupid little faggot. don’t ever talk to me, just sit in your faggot corner with mark meers cock in your mouth or ass which ever you prefer and anytime you think you have something important to say, just jizzz off in your own fucking mouth.

25. Crab of Thunder

“Sheperd sounds like the human personification of cardboard”

I think that sums it up nicely XD, also he looks so generic too.

26. KingCancer

male shepard needs kaiden’s shoulder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fsMiHGov3w faggot!

27. YoungZer0

@24: Haha, oh Jesus, i usually would never use that word, but you seem to be very “butthurt”. Sure, just go ahead and insult me, of course without any reason what so ever. You know, there are insults and than there is this. You really seem to be pissed about the fact that i showed you just how fucking stupid your comment is, and how little sense it makes in this topic.

Idiot. :D

28. deathdisco

“She sounds like someone desperately trying to sound tough, someone trying to sound like a soldier”

I think that is sort of true for Mass Effect 2 but not for the first game. Hale tries to do this raspy dirty hairy voice in ME2 where as in ME1, she gets the job done by making noise. If the lines “take a good long look at me, do I look like a looter?” were in the first game, she would have screamed them, not whispered them. Her PMS style feels more real. And don’t worry, Hale, male gamers won’t be put off by a mean bitch if they get to play the mean bitch.

As for Meer, he should have done what Hale did, use his natural voice. He has a good deep natural voice and male Shepard would have been much better if he used it.

I also hope they fix Femshep’s body in ME3. ME2 looks like they just pasted Femshep’s face onto Maleshep’s body and then puts some boobs on it. She looked better in ME1. Some online forums complained about her turkey neck in ME1 but who cares? Plenty of real life women have turkey necks. So at least she looked like a real girl.

29. Patrick Garratt

KingCancer – All the best. One month ban.

30. Blerk

Christ!

31. E71

They picked male Shepard to be default for a good reason.

When we’re being hunted down and exterminated, no-one in their right frigging mind would send a woman to be the leader of our defense. It won’t be a standard male either — it’ll be an alpha male.

Men are better at war, it’s a proven fact. Only feminists would disagree.

Even if they open doors to Special Operations groups of today such as the Navy SEALS, how many women do you think will make the cut? I can tell you it’ll most certainly be an insignificant number.

Stop kidding yourselves you femshep-lovers and accept that you don’t support femshep because you think Shepard ought to be a woman but because you’re either a lonely guy with a boner for a military chick or you just plain hate Mark Meer’s voice acting.

P.S. This is a one time comment from me so don’t bother sending any direct replies as I won’t be reading them.

32. Phoenixblight

Nice trolling.

Its a freaking video game when you turn on the game reality has now left the door stop throwing your sexist propaganda as a form of evidence why people play as femshep.

33. Hunam

In my experiences, men wont do anything till a woman tells them to.

34. GalianStorm

I Prefer The Femshep than The Male Version Reason y Male Shep voice is like Emotionless Human A.I Only Edi Could Understand. Femshep voice is like serious and taking no shit from no one Thats how i see it