BULLETCAST, June 16 – What you need to know now

Thursday, 16 June 2011 09:16 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Reading is such a difficult thing. Watch me read the news to you instead. Do the written words afterwards. Break it up a bit.

Watch:

Read:

  • Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has confirmed that Wii U won’t have support for Blu-ray or DVD playback. Hit this for a complete look at Wii U, its tech, its game and what we learnt from its E3 reveal.
  • Nintendo is “not interested in offering software free of charge,” according to Iwata.
  • Game Republic, the independent studio behind Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom and Genji: Days of the Blade, appears to be closing doors amid financial woes.
  • L.A. Noire sold around 900,000 units in the US during May, and is comparatively behind Red Dead Redemption by 40 percent.
  • BioWare’s confirmed that up to 18,000 accounts have been compromised on its forums through an old Neverwinter Nights forums.
  • In further hackZ0r news, LulzSec his EVE Online again last night, taking down both the MMO’s log-in server and the main play server, Tranquility.
  • The decision to pull Crysis 2 from Steam was not made by EA, the publisher’s claiming. Apparently this is down to an agreement Crytek has with another download service which meant the game violated a new “a set of business terms for developers” on Steam.
  • It’s being rumoured that Half-Life 3 is in the works, and that Episodes 3 and 4 have been canned.
  • Rumour has it that Microsoft will release the Kinect SDK for Windows this week.
  • Forza producer Dan Greenawalt has said we’ll see the results of Kinect’s effect on games development in about two years. Two years from now. Not now.
  • Sony virtual E3 booth in Home attracted over 500,000 visitors last week.
  • The Australian Classification Board is rethinking its rating of “naughty” Ubisoft game We Dare after home affairs minister Brendan O’Connor lodged a request for review.
  • 2K Games has stopped using PR firm The Redner Group after its founder Jim Redner threatened to blacklist journalists and outlets that gave Duke Nukem Forever a “venom-filled” review.
  • ArenaNet has said plans for “the delivery of future content – retail or otherwise – has yet to be 100 percent determined,” despite an earlier report stating the firm was planning to skip out on releasing expansions at retail.

Latest