Psychonauts publishing rights back with developer

Wednesday, 15th June 2011 01:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Tim Schafer’s Doublefine has reclaimed the publishing rights – and profits – of its classic adventure, Psychonauts.

Programmer Anna Kipnis broke the news, although later suggested changes hadn’t yet come into effect.

An official announcement is forthcoming, after which it is expected that proceeds of every purchase of the game, whether it be through Steam, Good Old Games or Xbox Live, will go direct to the independent studio which created it.

Previously, publisher Majesco reaped profits from the highly-praised game, which is probably fair enough, given it funded it in the first place and may not have made a return on that investment Psychonauts didn’t exactly set the sales charts on fire, despite everyone pretending to have played it before it was famous.

Psychonauts currently holds an 87 percent average on metacritic. DoubleFine has always held the game’s IP, and has indicated it would be willing to produce a sequel with support from a publisher.

Thanks, Giantbomb.

1. onlineatron

*ahem*

FUCKIDITYFUCKYES,THISISTHEBESTNEWSEVAAAA.

That is all.

2. NeoSquall

C’mon Tim Schafer, ask EA since you’ve been buddies for quite some time.
    I think they will be happy to fund it!

Just… don’t make it a Kinect game D:

3. Hunam

Well, it’s not really anything other than future profits go to Double Fine. I’d imagine there is a few bucks left in the old girl but nothing significant, as mentioned, they owned the IP anyway and nothing was stopping them making a sequel at any time.

The biggest thing that can come from this now is perhaps one of those HD versions that are all the rage right now. Could follow BG&E’s steps and make some extra pocket money for the dev. Which is cool though I’ve already completed the game not so long back so I doubt I’d double dip so soon.

4. Blerk

I never did get around to playing my copy of this. The shame!

5. AHA-Lambda

sorry but i always thought this was one of the most overrated games ever =/

6. rainer

I recall reading somewhere they ended up selling about 600,000 copies of the game in total which isn’t bad all things considered but the price was so knocked down they probably didn’t make much of each sale.

Anyway it’s nice to hear it’s back where it belongs.

@5 While the platform mechanics may not have been great it was still a brilliantly inventive and original game that just got better the further you when into it, the first level of two of the game was the weakest which is I’m guessing all you played.

7. DSB

Easily the best platformer ever in my book. It hasn’t been long since I gave it the last playthrough.

Why games like this and Startopia don’t sell is beyond me.

8. Blerk

If they do an XBLA rejig I might buy it again.

9. The_Red

Hope they do a PSN / XBLA remaster or even better, do a full upgrade :)

10. Len

Do it do it do it.

Blerk you have to play it, just a fantastic game which honestly makes you laff. It’s ingenious…

Are you the milkman? ;)