Decision to pull Crysis 2 from Steam was not made by EA

Wednesday, 15th June 2011 18:23 GMT By Staff

EA has responded to an earlier report stating it pulled Crysis 2 from Valve’s Steam service, and according to a company representative, the game was pulled as a result of Steam’s policies, not due to a decision made by EA.

“It’s unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service,” the EA rep told GameFront. “This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA.

“Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

“Crysis 2 continues to be available on several other download services including GameStop, Amazon, Origin.com and more.”

Kotaku reported earlier today that Crysis 2 was sporting an “Only on Origin” label, suggesting EA was restricting the bestseller to its newly-announced Origin distribution service.

Like the EA representative’s statement confirmed, the game is currently still available digitally via Direct2Drive, Amazon, Gamersgate, and Impulse. It is not known at this time if the “agreement” with “another digital download service” was in fact EA’s new Origin platform or not.

Alice: Madness Returns is likewise available from multiple digital services – but not Steam. Battlefield 3, EA’s next major PC title, is also not available for pre-order through Steam.

A number of other EA titles are still up on Valve’s platform, including both Dragon Age and Mass Effect, Need for Speed and Bulletstorm.

[Story by Brenna Hillier, contributed by Stephany Nunneley]

1. CaptPierce

EA, there’s bold, and then there’s blasting both your kneecaps off with a SPAS-12. I’d at least keep a few games on the service, considering how popular it’s turned out.

Just wait and see I suppose.

2. Phoenixblight

Well I know a lot of people that will be getting Battlefield for the PC and not getting off of steam won’t stop them. EA Origin is not horrible and its not intrusive. I am fine with this and by no means a Steam fanatic.

3. Grimrita

I was wondering how long this would take EA. IF I purchase BF3, I dont expect to be using ‘Origin’ to play it on, if I have to, they can stick it up their arse.

I simply do not want yet ANOTHER DD service clogging up my PC to play a limited number of games. I dont use Steam to play Bad Company 2( like and idiot, I bought it – a boxed copy).

4. JRNO

I made the mistake of using EA Downloader to purchase Battlefield 2: Special Forces back when it was released and I sure won’t make that mistake again.
    If they don’t plan on releasing Battlefield 3 on Steam, I probably won’t be picking the game up since my DVD drive doesn’t work.

5. galaxy366

Is still love Steam. Much better :D!!!

btw, what happens if you own the C2 steam version? Does it simple disappear? Because it has been removed from the steam service…

6. Sorvin

Awww crap… I want to have all my games on Steam (call me a Steam fanatic or something but I prefer having all my games in one place).

This really sucks that EA is going in this direction, it’s strange though that if EA knew they were gonna start Origin, why did they just put up all those Sims games on Steam??

Getting worried what this means for Battlefield 3 :/

7. Christopher Jack

@5, They can’t remove it after you have already purchased it.

8. endgame

the current version of Origin is bad. why? because it crashes your games (battlefield bad company 2) and it doesn’t have an auto-update feature. the interface could use some improvement and they could allow u to use your own avatar.

oh and one more thing, u can’t buy stuff unless u live in US or Canada. epic fail EA!

9. kumaCannon

I don’t know call me fanatical but my reason for not using Origin goes beyond I just don’t like the program. Why would I want EA to get a distribution foot hold into the game industry?

Isn’t this the same company that turned Dragon age 2 into a long DLC ploy; didn’t EA just finish carving up BF3 with DLC and pre-orders giving special guns to people who pre purchase the game from various places? Why would I want a company that treats their customers and products in that manner being successful at online PC gaming retail.

10. El_MUERkO

Crysis 2 sucked donkey balls and it’s multiplayer is rammed with cheaters so taking it off Steam is like a public service.

11. AHA-Lambda

good thing i already have my steam copy then =s

This is unbelievably stupid on EA’s part, to cut your nose to spite your face really. If it is not on steam i aint buying EA so better take note -_-

If they pull this shit with BF3 i’m just getting it on PS3

12. deadstoned

EA just totally crossed the line, FU EA! Lost my loyalty again!

13. Talkar

Awesome EA!
    Valve has really been shitting on the customers lately, hope that this will give them a wakeup call, especially when BF3 is released.

I just bought Alice: Madness Returns, and i live in Denmark.

14. AHA-Lambda

@14 – notsureifserious.jpg

15. Talkar

I am serious. Valve really doesn’t care about their costumers, atleast not those who bought Section 8 and/or Witcher 2.

16. endgame

@14 but how did u pay? if I want to use a credit card I can only choose US or Canada in the country field. and 2nd question: in what currency can u see prices?

17. DSB

Seems like a pretty unneccesary provocation. Surely Crysis 2 has sold most of what it’s gonna sell. And if anything, it’s an example of what happens when you scoff at something like Steamworks in favour of a ridiculously poor service like Gamespy.

Origin is alright, but it’s quite obviously still a young client. Some of the design elements are just plain stupid, like fold-out boxes that cover the page count.

18. Hunam

Origin is just the old EADM stuff. It’s come a long way buy it’s still not steam.

19. Schindet Nemo

Their € prices are fucking ridiculous. 35£ = 50€? Screw you EA.

20. endgame

how do I switch to euro prices?

21. Schindet Nemo

Look at the bottom. There’s a little flag besides an EA logo.

22. Talkar

I paid with my Visa. The currency is shown in DKr for my (the currency in my country, the danish crown). I didn’t need to choose it, it just worked.

23. Lounds

EA = Corporate hogs

Why do this, all there titles on PC will sell atlest 30% less now, they’re Idiots.

24. DuckOfDestiny

Ah well, guess that just means EA won’t be getting my money. C’mon EA, I know you want it, and I really want to give it to you, do we really have to play these games?

25. Artheval_Pe

Damnit, EA. My friends are on Steam, not on Origin. I can’t chat with my friends, I can’t invite them to play on Origin.

So either Origin becomes compatible with the Steam Community, or I won’t buy games on that platform.

26. OlderGamer

No Steam, no sale. Period.

Buying it on xb360 doesn’t exactly send them the msg I want to send. So I guess I will have to think about what to do next.

27. DSB

I could see it working out for EA if they didn’t exclude Steam.

The titles they sell on Origin will cut out the middleman, allow them to do special deals to undercut the competition, and that’ll work. But completely eleminating the biggest, and arguably most competent online retailer on the planet really can’t be that great for business.

I think it’s slightly arrogant to think that people want all these clients. I don’t buy anything on Impulse if I can get it on Steam, even if it comes with a difference in price of 5-10 dollars.

I have no interest inconveniencing myself for that ammount.

28. Phoenixblight

EA has been cutting them out of the loop for the longest time. All EA’s games, they wait until the last moment to put it on Steam. Then the Steam version doesn’t get the same amount of content as the EA store, D2D version. Not sure how anyone didn’t see this coming. I saw it coming eventually when Dragon Age was released.

29. DSB

@29 You’re right, but most of their biggest launches in the digital delivery age were on there, with the exception of The Sims, which probably had a lot to do with the intended audience.

I think it would be easier to sell a game, than a game that comes with a mandatory client, even if others have already done the same thing with Steam. A PC isn’t a console, we generally like having options. I don’t think Origin is doomed, but some for some people, the option not to use Origin will be the one they choose.

I think they’re on the wrong path trying to become a “publisher island” in the industry that does everything in-house, and just expects everybody to support their monopoly.

30. Lounds

This will cost EA more money, Activision don’t have a problem with steam, although COD:BO didn’t incorporate steam friends ¬¬. End of day they’re shooting themselfs in the foot, PC community loves steam, why take them away, Steam and activision will make more money.

31. Bloodyghost

EA is dead stupid. They run EA Partners with Valve too!

32. Phoenixblight

Whether buyer wants the PC version from d2d or whomever it will still go through origin. You buy it from the shelf it will still go through Origin. SO if you want the PC version of EA games you will have to get origin if not than get the console version. Not a lot of options.

33. Xuchilbara

What an idiot thing to do, why not do this AFTER BF3 is released, that way you dont lose sales on your biggest launch in history?

34. DSB

@33 I was implying that they’d pass on the game entirely. EA makes a lot of great games, but they’re not the only show in town.

35. endgame

@22 but I have no EA logo at the bottom! :(

36. Phoenixblight

Of course not but they are the only publisher that offers the most games I would say 80% of my game are through them not that I am a fan boy but it just so happens they offer games I like.

There has to be a reason why they are denying steam and not other Digital retailers maybe they take too much of the cut of the profits I am not sure.

37. Lounds

CUNTS!

38. IL DUCE

I’m not a PC gamer but what happens with games like Portal 2, made by Valve but published by EA? And will this signal an end to future endeavors with EA publishing Valve games? Unless I’m just thinking this would fracture the relationship a lot more than it truly will…

39. Grimrita

If you read the between the lines, EA’s decision to put Crysis on Origins IS the reason why it was pulled from Steam.

‘Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.’

Other download service – Origins.

Everything was fine until Origins showed up, with Crysis sitting on other DD services as well. So something stinks from EA’s end.

The waters are about to become very choppy over the next few months. Can EA afford to lose the worlds biggest PC DD platform? I doubt it…

40. Hunam

So are steam kicking out games that autoinstall another client?

41. LOLshock94

isnt this steams fault?

42. Grimrita

EA blame Steams terms and conditions but dont actually point to which part. Steam works well with other publishers who also have their products on other DD services – so what makes EA/Crysis 2 so special?

Who knows but a PR bullshit press release from EA isnt going to help matters.

But it throws up other questions. Do I have to install Origins to play Battlefield 3 online? Or will it play straight out the box?

43. Dralen

This is so funny. If anything this will just cause PC users to turn away from their service. If EA knows what’s good for them they will stop this madness now.

I’m not all that bothered myself, I just prefer to stick to one download service, which is why I don’t use Origin. I’ve got too many games on Steam to change now.

44. Medevila

TFA says “Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.”

Also BF3 is still going to be on Steam.

45. DarkElfa

As a steam user and Crysis 2 owner, I’m worried what this will mean for DLC and updates on Steam where the title is concerned.

Also, I was planning on buying BF3 on Steam but now I’m really having to debate that strategy.
    the sad part is, EA figures that while we could vote with our wallets and force them back to Steam, most won’t because they need their drugs.

Also @#44, what makes you think its still going to be on Steam?

46. Old MacDonald

Didn’t anyone read the article?

The game was not pulled from Steam, it was kicked off by Valve.

At least that’s what EA are claiming, and it’s not something they’d lie about considering how important Steam currently is for their business on the PC (regardless of their plans with Origin).

47. DSB

@46 Read between the lines, chief.

There are plenty of games on Steam that also feature on Impulse, so what client-related infraction do you reckon could lead to a sudden breach of contract?

Here’s a hint: Origin launched close to a week ago.

48. Joe_Gamer

The whole article is about how Steam took Crysis 2 down, NOT EA, yet I see all these ignorant fucks blaming EA? Reading comprehension is like common sense I guess, so rare it’s a god damn super power.

I’m as quick as anyone to jump on EA’s ass for being greedy fucks, but in this case it seems that Valve/Steam are the greedy bitches. I sure would like to read that “set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service” for myself.

49. DSB

@48 Actually EA are saying they weren’t the ones to directly pull the game from the store. They in no way claim that they aren’t ultimately responsible.

Reading comprehension doesn’t do a lot, if you’re mindnumbingly naive while reading the words of a PR rep.

50. ruckus

Article has been updated from an earlier one today which did not state anything about Steam removing the game.
    Since the change the original comments look out of context (since the original article pointed to EA removing the game from Steam).

51. xxJPRACERxx

Lot of stupid haters here. Origin is 100 time better than Steam, want to know why? Because you only use it to purchase/download your game. After that you can close the client and play your game without having to start the client ever again.

Steam is “ok” but I hate the fact that to play the game you must start the client app.

52. darksied

LoL, you’ll get a lot of bad replies for that :) But I’m with you. I won’t go so far as to say the steam client is THAT bad, because it has a LOT of upside. But like you, I like having the game activate ONCE, then being able to close the client and never having it open again unless I need it (offline or online, doesn’t matter; you don’t need to open the program again after you activate once). The EA download manager (Origin, whatever) has been my favorite so far.

53. darksied

@8 (replying a bit late, but whatever)

I don’t know what you mean here. How can the client crash the game? They’re completely separate. If anyone else is having problems with Origin playing a game, then guess what …? Turn the program off. You don’t need it running in the background to play ANY game, even if it’s an online shooter. Start your task manager, close everything related to origin and EA, then play the game. If it still crashes, it’s the GAME, not the Origin client.

“I mean I am not against them selling their products where they want; I just don’t see myself buying from Origin when I don’t trust their business tactics.”

This is a false argument. You’re using a weak argument to justify your not liking them. You say you don’t like their business tactics because they put pre-order stuff in BF3? “Carving up BF3?” First, the stuff is free. Second, EVERY ONE ELSE DOES THIS. Even Valve, in some ways (ps3 version of portal 2 had a FREE PC copy; did xbox 360 people complain? not NEARLY as much as BF3 “fans”). Every big name title now is going to do this, to some extent. There’s no getting around it. It’s not ruining the game, so we shouldn’t really complain. Now, if it turns out that the stuff they release DOES really unbalance the game, then you can complain and they’ll get those balanced so they’re normal. But I don’t see this happening.

P.S. I’m tired of people blaming EA for Dragon Age 2. While I would like to agree with everyone and say EA sucks because of that, at the end of the day you have to realize that EA is the publisher, Bioware is the developer. Bioware made the game, EA did not. If the game sucks, it’s because Bioware didn’t do a good job. All this “EA forced them to release it early,” “EA made them release a half-finished game,” and all of that is complete crap (and whoever says it knows it, but you like arguing). If EA forced them to release it early, then the game would be actually broken (there’s not many bugs in the game) and would be missing graphics, and be a 10 hour game. It’s in fact a 40 hour game, and there’s people out there who still think it’s awesome and better than the first, in fact (not me, but I can understand).

54. Tenebrous

#51, #52 – You can still run (most of) the games outside of steam. Just find the EXE in the steamapps folder (on a PC at least).