BULLETCAST, June 15 – What you need to know now

Wednesday, 15th June 2011 09:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

The news this morning in video and text form. I didn’t sort the music out. I’ll do it today?

Watch:

Read:

• LulzSec managed to take EVE Online, Minecraft, League of Legends and The Escapist offline last night with a string of DDOS attacks.
  • SCEA head Jack Tretton’s said the recent PSN hack was “wake-up call,” but 90% of users returned.
  • Brenna’s taken a look at 2011′s hacking and DDOS attacks against games companies here. Spoiler: there’s a lot of it.
  • Steam’s introducing free-to-play games.
  • Want another rumour of Xbox 7,200RPM being shown at E3 next year? OK.
  • EA Games boss Frank Gibeau has dropped some tough talk on the upcoming scrap between Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3.
  • EA’s stepped up activity against Steam with Origin, pulling Crysis 2 from the Valve service.
  • “The future is here,” according to EA boss John Riccitiello, who’s said new hardware isn’t necessary to foster innovation within the games industry.
  • It’s being claimed that Sony waited a day after it knew the extent of the damage caused by April’s PSN outage before warning consumers. It’s also being claimed that Sony provided incorrect information to the US Congress about the matter, so this has the potential to get very messy.
  • Grasshopper Manufacture’s making an Evangelion rhythm game.
  • Eat Sleep Play’s David Jaffe’s admitted Twisted Metal’s chances outside the US aren’t certain, and has said Sony hasn’t talked to him about doing a Vita version.
  • Cliff Bleszinski has said, yet again, that Gears of War will never come to PlayStation 3.
  • Tim Schafer’s Doublefine has reclaimed the publishing rights – and profits – of its classic adventure, Psychonauts.
  • Analyst Doug Creutz has said SWTOR is a “highly derivative” WoW clone and its likely to miss its 2011 release.

That’s it. You’re now a Wednesday news expert. Gold stars all round.

1. Patrick Garratt

Making these videos is significantly easier than creating the audio. So I think I’ll probably keep making videos.

2. manamana

I like me some BC in the morning. While its nice, that you sum up the news, I would like to here some more of your thoughts on particular themes. Or what you’ve heard, what others think of. The WiiU BC was the exact thing I wish I would come across more often. Anywho, keep it up and may I suggest this music?!

3. Patrick Garratt

Glad you find it useful. Thanks for the music suggestion, but I will get the music Black Rock made for me, because it’s proper awesome.

4. Blerk

Indeed, the musings are good.

I look forward to the first ‘really bad hangover’ vid. :-D

5. triggerhappy686

Yeh the vids are much better, I just ate my breakfast to the VG247 morning news… I like it ;)

6. mojo

as said before, i like the format.

“I’ll do some more “thoughts” videos, definitely, when there are big newsy topics to do them on.”
    am looking forward to.

7. Patrick Garratt

No hangovers here. Haven’t had a drink for nearly eight years :D

Glad you like the format. Seems more natural, to be honest. I’ll sort out the music and work out some quick way of meta-editing the video of every day, and yeah. Off we go.

8. Patrick Garratt

I’ve just ordered some bastard hot chilli sauce, though. I could eat that and read the stories for a “hot news” bulletin.

9. Blerk

Now that sounds like fun! Down a spoonful at the start of the video, try to get through the whole thing without having a drink.

10. James Grant

OMG Pat, this video is the best ever – Never stop doing these! Never. Grumpy games newshound Pat Garratt talking at me in the morning over his coffee? I SUBSCRIBE!

11. Yoshi

Pat.. you just restored my faith in this website with this bulletcast!

Love the Gear 3 comment, as it’s so true! :) Stop asking, Gears 3 is exclusive :P

12. Patrick Garratt

@9 – I’ll do it. I don’t know why I wouldn’t.

@10 – I will never stop making these videos, Jame. I do it for you, and you alone.

13. Telepathic.Geometry

Nice work Pat. Keep it up. Like others have said, more opinion is good. I like my facts, but insight works for me.

14. Patrick Garratt

Righto. I’ll have a think about that.