Zelnick on Take Two buyout: “We enjoy being an independent company”

Tuesday, 14th June 2011 10:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Take Two CEO Strauss Zelnick has addressed rumours of any impending acquisition offers following the company’s recent massive success, saying it likes being independent.

“I’m proud of what we’ve delivered,” Zelnick told Gamasutra. “I’m proud of the value we’ve created for shareholders in the past few years. I’m proud the team has had precious few missteps.

“But, we’re there for the shareholders. All public companies are potentially available. Every time something has come up we’ve considered it. All that said, we enjoy being an independent company.”

Despite the predicted buyout from analysts, Take Two has seen itself in the recent past post a profit, something that was not possible without a major release of a Grand Theft Auto title. This is mostly due in part to the success of Red Dead Redemption and NBA 2K11.

1. Blerk

I enjoy them being an independent company too. The last thing we need is some huge bastard like Activision buying them out and totally ruining everything they do.

2. Hunam

Here here. 2K have been a bit of a god send these last few years with some great inspired games to keep me going through all the indentikit trash of late.

3. AHA-Lambda

yea leave take two the way they are, they’ve been making some damn good and original titles lately (DNF excepting)

4. Christopher Jack

I do think that ActiVision needs to expand, they’ve got the smallest selection of AAA games out of all the major players but will still dominate them with one release. Take Two would seem like the best pick, not that I would want that.

5. ManuOtaku

I agree they are fine the way they are, i mean independent, and if they do sell out to another company, please dear lord forbid that is activision, anyone except activision.