Sections

Tretton: PSN hack was “wake-up call,” 90% of users returned

Tuesday, 14th June 2011 15:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SCEA CEO Jack Tretton has admitted the recent hack attack on PlayStation Network gave the company a “wakeup call.”

Speaking to the New York Times, Tretton said that its now been more “vigilant” following the attack, which seen PSN go down for an entire month and the personal data of 77 million users compromised.

“We have been ever vigilant with everything that has been happening,” he said.

“If you read the newspaper, you realize that there are companies being bombarded with people trying to hack them all the time. Yet, this was a real wakeup call we had to go through. Now we feel our systems are more secure that they have ever been.”

Tretton admitted that 90 percent of users – “more than 70 million people” – had now returned to the network following its return last month, but expects to see a wave of new users heading towards the release of PS3′s holiday line-up.

Asked by the NYT if Sony wanted to deter consumers from modifying their PS3, Tretton said there was a “real misnomer.”

“We embrace independent game development; if you call that hacking, then we embrace that,” We give people tools that let them create new experiences,” he said.

“What I don’t think we are in support of is someone trying to hack our device to pirate software and possibly collapse the platform.”

Breaking news

10 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.

  1. Peetry

    I suspect that a lot of the remaining 10% will be secondary accounts used to access content in other regions.

    #1 3 years ago
  2. ninjanutta

    i think you will find that half of the 77 mill is 2 or more accounts on 1 ps3,ive got around 5 including my sons.Its an unrealistic number.

    #2 3 years ago
  3. OlderGamer

    Yea and loging in to claim free stuff isn’t the samething as returning either.

    I picked up my free downloads, upgraded to the free PSN+, and haven’t done much else. I did buy a new Pinball table. And I have PS3 set up in bedroom for Netflix use at night.

    I doubt I will use PS3 for games till Starhawk comes out.

    #3 3 years ago
  4. Bloodyghost

    lol 90 percent probably from people signing in to delete.

    But seriously, there is a huge following of PSN so ofcourse right when its up, almost all of the damn accounts will log in.

    I still think 90 percent is unrealistic since people like my friend have 5 accounts, all in different regions.

    #4 3 years ago
  5. hitnrun

    90% of all statistics are made up. Seriously? I doubt 90% or even 50% of PSN accounts would have signed in during this time frame even without a hack. So yeah, the number is made up.

    With that said, the issue was never going to be how many people threw their PS3 in the trash, but how hesitant people will be to give Sony their money again. Sales are a lot more brisk from the couch than they are through points cards.

    #5 3 years ago
  6. fouzi fayaz

    90 %

    that s can B rght .

    #6 3 years ago
  7. KL

    he may be right.Consider yourselves what percentage of people ditched 360 and their game library due to RROD? the same applies here

    #7 3 years ago
  8. Gama_888

    Suprised that only 10% didnt come back. i thought it would be much higher

    #8 3 years ago
  9. ManuOtaku

    #8 Well if is true it might be a lot of people, lets say is like 7.7 million users, this based on the 10% of 77 million accounts, but lets say that a 50 % of that amount doesnt have multiple accounts, that means almost 4.5 million users, thats a lot if you ask me, of course this is taking into account that the ps3 had pass the 50 million units sold (users), compare with the almost 80 million PSN accounts thats like almost 50% of users that do have multiple accounts, of course this is an aprox. because theres people that maybe own 5 accounts and people that own 1, but it can be a nice guess

    #9 3 years ago
  10. ultramega

    “…which seen PSN go down for an entire month…”
    Might wanna fix that.

    #10 3 years ago