Tretton: PSN hack was “wake-up call,” 90% of users returned

Tuesday, 14 June 2011 15:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SCEA CEO Jack Tretton has admitted the recent hack attack on PlayStation Network gave the company a “wakeup call.”

Speaking to the New York Times, Tretton said that its now been more “vigilant” following the attack, which seen PSN go down for an entire month and the personal data of 77 million users compromised.

“We have been ever vigilant with everything that has been happening,” he said.

“If you read the newspaper, you realize that there are companies being bombarded with people trying to hack them all the time. Yet, this was a real wakeup call we had to go through. Now we feel our systems are more secure that they have ever been.”

Tretton admitted that 90 percent of users – “more than 70 million people” – had now returned to the network following its return last month, but expects to see a wave of new users heading towards the release of PS3’s holiday line-up.

Asked by the NYT if Sony wanted to deter consumers from modifying their PS3, Tretton said there was a “real misnomer.”

“We embrace independent game development; if you call that hacking, then we embrace that,” We give people tools that let them create new experiences,” he said.

“What I don’t think we are in support of is someone trying to hack our device to pirate software and possibly collapse the platform.”

Latest