Molyneux staying on Fable due to need to “focus on just one thing”

Tuesday, 14th June 2011 15:04 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Wondering why Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux is sticking with Fable for the foreseeable future? It’s because he wants to focus on just one thing rather than do “multiple things.”

It’s a change from Molyneux’s infamous switching about to multiple other series’ after a couple of years, although he’s been doing Fable for six years.

“You know, in a certain way, for someone like me, this is the worst of times. That’s because there’s so many exciting, incredible new things to use, to mix together to create the best experience – I’m not just talking core gaming, we’re in the temple of core gaming now, at E3 – but a great example is social gaming,” Molyneux told RPGSite.

“I’m really fascinated with this – when I take my son to school, which I’ve been doing ever since he’s gone to school – when I first took my son to school I’d, y’know, chat to the parents outside – ‘what do you do – oh, I’m a games designer..’ and they’d say ‘oh god – can’t let our children go and play at your house, there’ll be guns everywhere.’

That attitude has changed incredibly to, now, I mean – outside the school gates the parents are playing on their mobile phones – they’re playing Zynga games on Facebook – they’re excited about games. That’s completely changed. For someone like me, I find that an absolutely fascinating place – there’s a hundred million people playing some type of computer game at this moment somewhere around the world. Just four years ago, that would’ve been much lower – it’s incredible growth.”

He continued: “On top of that you’ve got all these new control and input mechanisms, mix that with the cloud – which is a fantastic way of innovating as well – and a lot of me sort of wants to do ten things at once. I have to say to myself, time and time again – I have to focus on just one thing. If I try to put my focus on multiple things – I’m just not smart enough – I need to focus on just one thing, and right now that’s Fable.”

Molyneux announced Kinect-enabled Fable: The Journey – which absolutely isn’t on rails – at E3 last week. It’s out next year.

1. moargamezpleeze

Wants to focus on one thing? More like MS will shoot anyone who dare make anything different than Halo,Fable & Forza.

2. Bloodyghost

@1 No thats not true. I bet you MS doesnt care what they are willing to do, look at there support with Milo and Kate and the new engine they got together.

Peter M lost his path as a power with this IP. I know he wants to extend Fable as a Halo or Forza now but it just wont work since he is losing inovation and steam while Forza and Halo always know how to make a sequel feel like something of a new path of innovation and graphics. Lionhead NEEDS to move on. After this game, if it falls farther from the tree then Fable 3 from Fable 2, they HAVE to move on.

If Journey really does innovate and give us a new experience in this world then thats cool too but I do not want Fable Journey 2. A Sequel to a Spinoff of a Series with already 3 games in its belt from 2 generations.

3. Gekidami

^ What support for Milo & Kate? Peter said it was going to be released, MS said it wasnt. And guess who got the final word.

You call that “support”?

4. joshua nash

so basically peter’s going to “focus” on fable, i translate that as they’re going to stick with this game until they’ve driven it into the ground and then beat it like a dead horse, oh wait they’re already doing that

5. Bloodyghost

@3 Peter doesnt know what he was doing when he was developing the TECH AND ENGINE for Milo and Kate. Thats about as far it got with a few playable missions and Lionhead extended there development as more of a tech demo for what they could do with there engine.

6. Lewis247

Fable 3 felt too fast after the second one PLUS it didn’t do too much to improve. I think they should of just took a step back and thought more into it. Fable is a great series but for me it has been loosing a lot of its reputation.

7. Kuwabara