Sega exec drops spring-summer 2012 release timeline for Wii U

Monday, 13th June 2011 10:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sega EVP of marketing Alan Pritchard has dropped a super strong hint as to when we’ll see Wii U, saying it’s due to launch next spring or summer.

The slip came in an E3 interview with GameSpot when asked if Sonic Generations was coming to the platform. By the by, chances on that are slim.

“The timing just doesn’t work,” Pritchard said.

“Generations releases this November, and the Wii U is coming out next spring/summer. I think one of the things we don’t have to do, or reduce where possible, is we don’t want to port games. I think if there’s going to be a Sonic game for the Wii U, it needs to be built from the ground up.

“It’s more likely that it would be a separate stand-alone installment or in conjunction with a multiplatform release in the future. But to bring out Generations on a platform six or eight months after we release PS3, 360, and 3DS probably won’t be the best strategy.”

Nintendo has only confirmed a 2012 launch so far to date for Wii U, which was long announced before its first showing at E3 last week.

Sega also announced last week that Aliens: Colonial Marines from Gearbox would be on Wii U.

1. Fin

This makes me a bit concerned – less than a year away and we’ve not seen any software yet? Hmmm.

2. drewbles82

You’ll get nintendo fan boys getting it but one wii u controller per machine is very off putting esp since they said if your playing c0-op or against each other, the person will with wii u controller will have an advantage. Kids will be fighting over who gets it.
    I predict sony and microsoft will announce their new consoles next yr for a 2013 holiday release, so might get some lil show of it next E3 but then 2013 E3 will show loads.

3. Avatar226

i don’t think we will see any newer consoles till 2014 i don’t consider the wii u anything “new” since all it does is catch up on the HD technology at least in my eyes granted they pushed the technology they had in the WII to new limits…but still

4. Erthazus

If i won’t see a TRUE NEXT GEN console before 2014 i will probably die.

5. Blerk

Can I have your stuff when you’re gone?

6. Fin

Ya, I’ll take his 16GB GEFORCE 16 WITH 128xAA graphics card.

7. NeoSquall

@4 Tell me the date and I’ll manage to be there to testify it.

8. xino

spring is the starting of March man.
    Nintendo said the release date is from March and onwards:/