Riccitiello: EA ‘got Kotick’s goat’ with Battlefield 3 footage

Sunday, 12th June 2011 23:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Although he dismissed the seriousness of the Battlefield 3 versus Modern Warfare 3 rivalry last week, EA head John Riccitiello has risen to the challenge of comments from Activision boss Bobby Kotick.

“[E3 is] the beginning of the war and [Kotick] recognizes [Activision is] going to be threatened,” Riccitiello told Reuters.

“We’re going to have a clash of the titans this fall. The very fact that he’s trying to cast doubt on our game is a perfect example of how we got his goat.

“In terms of where this goes, we think our PS3 game is better than their Xbox game and our PC game is better than their PC game. If that’s all he’s got to say, it’s obviously going to evaporate as we launch all three. If you went to our press conference, you saw the PS3 footage and the Xbox footage.

“If Bobby thinks that is PC footage, he’s in real trouble.”

Kotick made an arguably disparaging comment last week about Battlefield 3′s chances on consoles, in which he suggested DICE had only shown PC footage so far.

Riccitiello has described the rivalry as “a bit of fun”.

In the EA corner, Battlefield 3 launches in late October, while on Activision’s side of the ring, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 drops in early November. Both games release on all three major platforms.

Thanks, CVG.

[image]

1. Erthazus

“If Bobby thinks that is PC footage, he’s in real trouble.”

I don’t get it. At the EA press conference i saw only PC version or some versions run simultaneously?

Anyway, COD was done since Battlefield 1942 is on the market.
    For me as a player who started playing FPS games since 90th in terms of multiplayer Battlefield was always superior more or less in realistic warfare. It’s not just FPS. It’s the first fps that made vehicles with shooting right.

Call Of duty is Call Of duty. Since CoD 2 they didn’t improved skill much. Only killstreaks and modern setting with few obvious ideas.

I hope Battlefield 3 delivers and it will deliver.

2. DSB

Ricitiello and Kotick are both being big babies about what should really just be business, but the PC comment from Kotick didn’t strike me as desperate trolling.

It’s a daring move by EA to focus on the PC, and it probably won’t help them on the console front. Although I have no idea how they’re planning to market it.

@1 I loved Battlefield 2 as well. It’s a shame they never managed to go anywhere from that.

3. Fin

I’m going to buy both MW3 and BF3. Everyone’s a winner!

4. GwynbleiddiuM

@Erthazus, he meant the private session with press I think, cause I’m sure they only showed PC at the conference which live streamed. Can any VG247 guys elaborate on this part pretty please? :P

5. OrbitMonkey

@3 Fuck yeah :)

Proof of the pudding is in the tasting & BOTH these titles have me licking my chops…. mmmmh, come to papa baby nom nom ;)

6. Malmer

@1. Both Troedsson and now Riccitiello has said that they showed console gameplay, they just didn’t tell what clips where from consoles. I guess it is mixed in with the PC-photage in one of the trailers. So considering that in a quick trailer it looks so good that you can’t tell which one is which I’d say we got a win for BF3.

7. Phoenixblight

There are console footage all over the net for Battlefield 3 if you just look for it. Gamespot has some footage and it still looks fantastic.

Kotick and Riccitiello just need stop and let the gamers decide which they prefer. Really I Hope that BC3 does directly compete with Call of duty so Activision can start looking into pumping new blood into the franchise because this yearly releases with the franchise is the opposite of what the industry should be doing which is innovation which COD has been lacking for a while now. They just copy and paste.

8. SamaT

I bet this whole situation is a “bit of fun” to him. Both games will sell well, so in the end there is no real loser. Which is how console wars are. In the end if the company has made profit and by large amounts, they could give two fucks about the actual quantity of the amount sold. But this guy here actual cares this time. Fun indeed.

9. Redh3lix

I’m getting the PC version, but from what vids I’ve seen from the console version, there doesn’t seem to be a vast difference at all. They’ve done an excellent job with Frostbite 2.

About time they updated COD’s engine?

10. Hybridpsycho

@all who wonders about the Console footage.

They did show it during the conference, they said it after that they had mixed the footage. Just that people didn’t notice the difference, cause all their versions were awesome.

If you had watched a few interviews after you can’t have missed it. That’s why I lol’d when Kotick said that stupid statement a few days ago. One think he’d know.

He’s scared shitless.

11. Bloodyghost

Can someone link me to points where they showed the console footage of the demonstration montage?

I saw the little snippets of PS3 footage like the Rendering and the one scene with the cars but besides that there was nothing.

12. SamJ

The rivalry only helps both games by shedding more light on them, to be honest.

Random Joe sees all the press and thinks “well there’s got to be something there to make this worth all the buzz” and tries out one or both, where they originally would’ve bought neither. At least that’s probably what both marketing depts are hoping.

13. Redh3lix

There are two scenes in the following video which are PS3 footage.

Check platform bottom right:

Here’s screenshots of those scenes:

Nice little analysis of the game:

14. Redh3lix

@11 – I suspect with PC being the lead platform from a development point of view, that you’ll see more console screenshots/videos over the coming months?

15. Christopher Jack

@1, I’ve played much more realistic games than Battlefield 2 but they’re too simmy for most people’s tastes, nor did they have the brand power or support to compete with BF2 either.
    Personally, I thought BF2 reached that perfect point between simulator & arcade, the MP in CoD is purely arcade & I get enough of that from Halo.

16. G1GAHURTZ

It’s obvious that EA are going to focus on ‘mixing’ their dx11, high-end PC footage with console footage.

One is pretty much always going to look better than the other, so I think it’s actually EA who are just worried because Kotick has highlighted the fact that they’re using one of the oldest marketing tricks in the book.

On top of that, it’s clear that EA’s parasytic marketing campaign involves mentioning CoD/Activision at every possible opportunity in order to piggy back ride their way to selling a few extra copies.

17. Phoenixblight

COD and BC are both in direct competition as far as their games go, so they have to mention it especially since they both share the same demographic so each are fighting for their franchises.

18. jielunbb

if you have interest in it , take action !!!!!
    ***** {{w w w }} {{be tter whole saler }} {{ us }} ***

19. Christopher Jack

@17, He’s just a CoD fanatic. There are a few similarities behind both games but they more or less end at both being modern-military First person shooters. Battlefield is pretty much a Battlefield game, CoD is much more simplistic, you just run & gun/knife =\ or hide & wait-but it’s pretty obvious that that’s exactly what the majority of gamers want, they don’t want to have to think & change strategies on the fly.

20. Gekidami

As Cole Phelps would put it; ‘I think you’re being economical with the truth, Mr. Riccitiello.’

Those few seconds of PS3 footage in no way count as “showing” the console versions. Sorry to say, but Kotick is right.

21. triggerhappy686

^^^ LOLLOL, that was really funny. +1 to you :D

22. themadjock

Riccitello look a bit like Rik Mayall in that picture

23. Gekidami

^That pic looks shopped to me… It definitely doesnt seem normal.

24. sg1974

You dont need BF footage to see that COD is generic rubbish for ten year old boys using an out-of date engine

25. DSB

@19 Sounds like you haven’t played of a lot of CoD.

What you do in Battlefield is exactly the same with the addition of a few packs to throw around, a syringe or a welding torch.

In theory you might have people supporting eachother, but in reality that’s never the case. People want points just as much as any CoD player, they’re just able to get them without taking someone out. The idea that a bunch of strangers are somehow going to start participating in deeper tactics, simply because they’re playing a game with a certain brand is just retarded. There’s nothing in Battlefield to promote that, beyond throwing packs around, using syringes or welding torches, which is great for everyone, but certainly doesn’t constitute any sort of tactic beyond “Git dem pointz!”.

With CoD I can safely say that there’s no way I can beat certain players using a certain approach, without deliberately changing my guns, perks and behaviour around the map. Learning to recognize their routines and playing styles so I can take them out is half the fun for me.

26. Christopher Jack

@25, I can successfully manage tactics with random team mates in BF2, not so much in BFBC or BC2 but they’re a little different from the main series. In my experience of CoD, everyone’s a lone wolf out for the highest K/D ratio, in BF2 it’s more about being a team player to win the game, I’m not saying that every game in CoD & BF are like that, but the majority are.

27. DSB

@26 Well I haven’t played BF2 for years so I really can’t say. I do recall those epic charges where everybody grabbed vehicles and headed for the next control point.

I do think it’s kind of silly to elevate an online first person shooter (shoot-er) to some kind of squad management game. Everybody’s out there with guns and grenades, everybody’s trying to get kills, either for points, or so they can take a point. It’s not a chess game, and it’s not a medic simulator.

The way squad support is handled in BC2 is nothing short of the lowest common denominator, essentially allowing people to play poorly, rather than pay the price. Use as much ammo you like, we have packs. Take as much damage as you like, we have packs. Die as much as you like, you have three medics in your squad.

I’d love to see someone introduce real objective based gameplay and actually make the effort to have people use tactics, but the general philosophy today is one of conveniencing people at all costs, and letting people do whatever they want is sadly the easiest way to convenience the majority.

28. Christopher Jack

@27, I agree, the majority of the fratboy CoD players won’t buy a realistic shooter so what’s the point in making one? I guess the US military could release the one that’s using the Cryengine but I’m going to assume that it won’t focus too much on the combat.

29. DSB

@28 Well, I think there’s an untapped audience out there. Being a strategy and shooter freak, I have to believe that. It just probably wouldn’t work on consoles, which is why nobody’s considering it.

At the end of the day, you and anyone else can insult the CoD fanbase as much as you like, whatever floats your boat, but it won’t change the fact that a good K/D ratio takes significantly more effort, than throwing a pack at a friendly players feet and watching the points tick in.

I don’t want to be the one to tell people what to play, both have pros and cons. It annoys me that you can play well in Bad Company 2 and still lose because the rest of the team “don’t get it”. The same thing can happen in Modern Warfare 2, but being a lone wolf and scoring a great match makes me feel that I’ve contributed significantly more than simply capping a control point, that nobody cares to defend once the points are awarded.

And you do still have game modes like HQ or Domination where everybody’s forced to be on the same page, or score next to nothing.

30. Shonak

Gosh, that EA faggot really gets me to think about buying MW3. I love Battlefield, but that bullshit he keeps talking is just ridiclous. Let MS and Sony flame each other, at least they know how to do it in a more entertaining way.

31. fouzi fayaz