PlayStation Vita memory cards spotted in the wild

Saturday, 11th June 2011 18:16 GMT By Debabrata Nath

A user over at NeoGaf has posted the first picture of PS Vita memory cards. The memory cards in the picture come in four variants – 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB. If anyone was wondering what they might look like and how much space they can carry, now you know.(Thanks, ZakAttack).

1. Suikoden Fan

thats no pro duo, guess pro duo will lose value now they arent needed for the latest handheld device

2. Gama_888

They dont look like normal memory cards?
    I hope Sony dont put some stupid price tag on these. I prefer to buy 1st party peripherals for my consoles and stuff

3. Christopher Jack

I hope that they’ll be more affordable than standard formats, *lol*, like that will ever happen.

@2, “I prefer to buy 1st party peripherals for my consoles and stuff”, Really? Why? It makes all your current solutions worthless & I can’t even recall a single case where it made things cheaper, just look at the 360 HDD, you pay the extra $50+ just for the damn casing!

4. Gama_888

what do you mean by it makes all current solutions worthless?

Im pretty sure every third party thing iv brought for gaming has eventually broken, controllers, memory cards (ps2, gcn), charge pack for my wii.
    All of them, Broke.

So now i try to avoid third party stuff. Buying these types of memory cards unofficially wont bother me really, but it would be nice to have the real thing :)

5. Toastrules

@3 It’s perfectly understandable to save a few bucks for 3rd party peripherals, but it’s just the concept of the universal brand name.

Lets say you have a Ps3. You have two Ps3 controllers, one labeled “Sony Playstation” and the other labeled “MadCatz”. They are, for example’s sake, both perfect replicas of each other.

6. Erthazus

Playstation Vita memory cards?

When shit just got real and something goes amazing you start to see a reality in the end.

First was a silly name, now 1st party memory cards. I’m sure they are going to be pricey. Oh dear.

7. Christopher Jack

@4 & 5, You both misunderstand me, what I’m referring to here is the actual format, not brand. Sure somebody else could release another PSV storage card but that will still likely end up more expensive than the standard SD card.

What Sony have done here is made everyone who owns a Memory Stick or SD card redundant-I understand why they’ve done it, but we’ll end up paying for it, unless they can actually push this new format at a lower price.

“If you had a friend over and were playing splitscreen, which controller would YOU choose?” I normally let my mate choose, you see here, I’m one of those odd people who like to call themselves “polite”.

@6, Sony announced that they were to use a proprietary storage unit (for both the console & another one for the game) the same day as the NGP reveal, you just have to read between the lines.

8. Gama_888

Yeh i agree with that, It would have been nice to pick up a 32Gb without sony own pricing on board but ohwell. thems the brakes

As for letting your mate choose which controller he has, UMAD? Official one for me, Friend has the crappy madcatz one. sit down, shut up :P

9. Christopher Jack

@8, I prefer to use my crappy wired controller from some Asian company that I’ve never heard of. Mainly so I can’t lose the control or run out of battery, it’s just good enough to play all games but it’s got a larger dead zone & isn’t as accurate as my sixaxis so I tend to switch when I’m in an uber competitive mood or while playing a twin stick shooter like Dead Nation. It’s always convenience first for me, the sole reason I’m not a huge PC gamer but I’m willing to make the switch if the price is right or if it’s an RTS.

10. el duderino

I say 89 usd for 32 gb.Micro sd 32 gb usually goes for 79-89 soooo yeah,sony will try to milk it but i don’t think it’ll be 99.That would be harsh.

11. Christopher Jack

All Vita consoles better be bundled with a 4gb storage card since Sony confirmed that there won’t be any built in storage. Obviously I would want more but that seems out of the question given it’s already high price. The problem here though would be upgrading =\

12. urbz2011

hhmmmmmm 16gb or 32gb?

13. Goffee

Everyone was asking how Sony will recoup money on the VitA, here’s part of the answer

14. Christopher Jack

@13, Sony has done this method since the PS One, it’s proven to be effective to get as many consumers as possible-even at a lost, that way you’ll have more people buying games which gives the manufacturer $3-5 royalty fees for each individual sale from 3rd parties-you can make billions of dollars this way, a game like CoD would earn Sony well over $20million.

Those who say that Sony hasn’t contributed anything to the gaming industry are dead wrong, they were the first manufacturer to fully embrace 3rd parties while Sega & Nintendo were dictating with iron fists.

15. fouzi fayaz

SONY want money from us
    OK

16. jielunbb

if you have interest in it , take action !!!!!
    ***** {{w w w }} {{be tter whole saler }} {{ us }} ***

17. Blerk

Are these the memory cards that you’ll save your own data onto, or are these the new storage format for the games?

18. Christopher Jack

@17, Memory cards, here’s the PSV’s game cart: http://i55.tinypic.com/2rp9wlv.jpg it’s called the NVG, no idea what it stands for, certainly not Night Vision Goggles… right? :P

19. Blerk