Wii U will not upscale Wii games

Friday, 10th June 2011 20:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Wii U may allow users to play their older Wii games on the system, but it won’t upscale the graphics, according to Nintendo.

Speaking with Giant Bomb, Nintendo’s head of PR Mark Franklin said that Wii games will look the same when played on Wii U.

No upscaling and no texture filtering that the older PS3 models tried to so with PS2 games.

Wii U is slated for sometime next year.

1. onlineatron

The worst news, I want Galaxy 2 in HD!

2. TraceableX

Oldy news.

Would be awesome if (in future) they release HD collection of GameCube games for Wii U (REs, MGS, etc)

3. ManuOtaku

#2 +1, lets keep our finger crossed for that 8D
    P.S you know what game i did love on the gamecube baten kaitos i will be happy to play an HD version of it

4. jacobvandy

That would be awesome. You know how many GCN games you could fit onto a Blu-ray disc? I don’t know, but it must be lots!

5. ultramega

You guys should download Dolphin, the GC and Wii emulator for PC. Tales of Symphonia looks damn nice in 1080p.

6. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Ofcourse it won’t. Nintendo is just fine with putting out the BARE MINIMUM to get by with their consumers, rather than making their hardware really impressive. Shame really.

7. triggerhappy686

Bad news, ive been waiting a long time to replay Twilight Princess, was kinda hoping I could play it upscaled :(

Oh well, just need to wait on dolphin emulator getting the sound right, thats the only thing stopping me firing it up on that…

8. Telepathic.Geometry

Nintendo is always playing a very dangerous game of chicken with consumers.

How much would a left bumper on the GC controller have cost? How much would it really have set them back to just give everybody DVD playback in the Wii? How difficult/expensive would a Wii/GC upscaler be? Nintendo tends to choose the right set-up and then add +10 scabbiness.

As a long-time Nintendo fan I have to say, my bread and butter gaming is becoming Uncharted, Dark Souls, Infamous, Dead Space, Bioshock, Borderlands, Rez, Vanquish, Ico-like games. And trophies. And online support.

The time where I simply couldn’t imagine not having a Nintendo console is coming to an end. If Nintendo doesn’t man up and service my gaming needs properly I might just skip out for a few years until their hardware is heavily discounted and there’re a lot of triple A titles waiting for me, or until they are driven into a software only business.

I LOVE their games, but they are simply TOO fucking stingy for their own good, and even long-time stalwarts like myself can’t support them if they refuse to accept the simple fact that they ARE going to have to compete with Sony and MS from now on.

/rant off

9. G1GAHURTZ

This console is turning into a bit of a joke.

10. triggerhappy686

No GC BC either :(

11. Telepathic.Geometry

@10: What the fuck, is that confirmed like?

12. hitnrun

I don’t see why this specifically is even newsworthy.

PS2 didn’t upscale PS1, PS3 failed to upscale PS2, 360 didn’t upscale Xbox, and the 361 and PS4 will assuredly not upscale their predecessors’ games. Rightfully so, because developing such a technology to improve old games would be a ridiculous waste of money.

@10 Now THAT would suck, if true. And it would be stupid and cheap enough to justify the above comments. I don’t think there’s even a significant difference between GC and Wii discs.

13. DrDamn

I think you are getting confused between upscaling and rendering. PS3 did upscale and so did 360, hell your HDTV upscales the pictures anyway. There are different techniques for upscaling and some are more beneficial than others depending on your source material. Actually rendering the stuff at higher resolutions than the original game intended is probably what you are thinking of – this is what is done in HD collections like the God of War one on PS3, and what some PC emulators will do too. This the PS3 and 360 didn’t do.

14. thesimpson36

Actually Nintendo develops games in HD and downscales them for the wii. It shouldnt be to difficult to upscale them if there developed originally in HD.

15. Clupula

Is there anything they’re doing right about this disaster?