Spencer: All first-party MS titles to come with future Kinect support

Friday, 10th June 2011 09:59 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Microsoft Studios head Phil Spencer has told Gamespot he believes that some form of Kinect support will be incorporated into all first-party Microsoft titles from here on.

He said although he doesn’t see it as a rule that all first-party titles has to support Kinect, but he thinks there are some things which can be made so much easier by incorporating it.

“It’s not a mandate that everything we do in first-party has to support Kinect right now,” he said.

“But I will say, specifically with voice, that there are some things that just seem to make navigating and playing games so much easier, that I would guess the answer will be yes in the end, that you’ll see all first-party games using some form of Kinect functionality.”

Spencer went on to say that although Kinect support doesn’t necessarily mean turning the gameplay experience on its head, it does make it better.

“Whether it’s voice in Forza or head-tracking in Forza, which you wouldn’t say is somehow turning the Forza gameplay experience on it’s head,” he continued.

“Rather, it’s just using the advantages of what Kinect brings to make the experience better. So I think there’s some specific examples where Kinect makes everything better.”

Microsoft has three big first-party titles lined up for release in the future – Forza Motorsport 4, Gears of War 3 and Halo 4. Forza 4 already comes with Kinect support, but it’s unclear whether Halo 4 will have some kind of support for Microsoft’s prized motion-sensor, although Spencer refused to be drawn on it in a GTTV interview following the MS presser. Cliff Bleszinski has already said Gears 3 won’t have support.

1. Blerk

This will not end well.

2. onlineatron

Yikes.

3. Blerk

It’s always nice to have something else to elbow into games that don’t need it. Pointless multiplayer modes just aren’t cutting it these days.

4. onlineatron

I’m sure it will be something worthwhile and innovative; like voice control for squad commands. You know, stuff that is only possible with Kinect; certainly not stuff that could have been accomplished last generation, with a headset, in a game like, erm, say, Rainbow Six 3.

5. GamezIdiot

Pointless gesture menu interfaces ahoy!

6. Blerk

Not to worry, there aren’t really any first-party Microsoft games any more anyway. :-D

7. onlineatron

:D

8. viralshag

I use to hate all ideas of motion control of gaming. After I picked up a new 360/Kinect bundle my views have changed and I do think they are a lot of fun in the right conditions. Unfourtunately my Kinect only gets brought out on those occassions such as BBQs and other times there will be four or more of us.

To really make the Kinect something I would consider using all the time they really need to find a way to utilise the camera in an enviroment that does not require 8 feet of clear floor space. Like in my room for example, where I can sit at the end of my bed chilling playing Future Soldier, issuing hand commands for my team to move up etc and not having to do the furniture shift.

9. onlineatron

To be fair, I jest without having used a Kinect.

I constantly see them in shops and think “I could buy th-…. Wait, no, there’s NOTHING I want to play on it”.

I was praying for the Microsoft presser to give me something, something that would make me want to purchase a Kinect; but alas no.

Dance Central 1/2 look great, but I can’t see myself getting up and dancing around my dorm room too much. Then having Kinect support in ‘hardcore’ games doesn’t appeal to much to me, why wave my arms about to perform an action I could perform more efficiently with a button press?

10. alimokrane

As long as it’s not forced down my throat, I couldnt care less. As long as the game is FULLY playable with a controller only, Do whatever the hell you want. I dont want to buy Kinect – thank you very much.

11. Gekidami

What, all 4 of them?!

:P

12. manamana

@onlineatron: agreed. So are my thoughts :-D
    Btw. Pictures like the one above don’t help. At all!

13. viralshag

@ onlineatron

I thought about buying a Kinect in pretty much the same way. The only reason I did get a Kinect bundle was because I had a lot of points on my GAME card and it was a pretty good deal at the time. I also happened to be going to a BBQ that day so thought it would be a laugh.

Honestly though, I never play any of the Kinect games on my own. I play Sports and Adventures with my mates and I will sometimes play Dance Central/MJ: The Experience with my sister. Funnily enough though, since I got it my sister plays DC a lot and occasionally my mum does too… I couldn’t have predicted that one.

If you do have someone to play the games with more than once in a bluemoon, I would recommend the Kinect. It’s a lot more fun than both Move and the Wii imo.

14. onlineatron

Definitely, if I were offered one, or could get one on the cheap, I would get it. Sounds like it would be fun at family events, and when mates are over.

15. viralshag

@ 14,

Yeah so far those really are the only times it’s worth it. I think if they announced a decent price drop with a new set of games or decent application in games such as ME3/Future soldier (or my hopes that the SW game is actually good) I would even go as far to say that might make it a must have accessory.

16. pukem0n

ok, seriously. who doesnt find the voice thing in Mass Effect 3 awesome?
    does it make the game any worse? Hell no, this will be so much fun ^^

i just dont know what they want to do with Halo and Kinect. Now THAT will end badly.

17. onlineatron

I don’t find it awesome.

It’s disjointed.

You say the lines on the screen, and then Shepard says something completely different. Not to mention I could easily just flick the stick down and chose an answer. I could also speak the lines through my 360 headset.

18. Blerk

I don’t find it awesome. In fact, I’m struggling to care about it at all.

19. viralshag

The voice control in combat I don’t mind that much but the whole speaking your lines… That just blows. I think it’s stupid for me to speak a line and then Shep to take over.

I would rather hear Shep do all the talking.

20. Shonak

onlineatron has already said the problem with the voice dialogue option in ME3, and I don’t think I will use it. The point is: When you read them and just select these answers, well – you don’t think about it so much. You just choose it and then Shepard talks. You control Shepard, it’s not yourself. Now with the voice control you actually say the stuff yourself, however Shepard says something completely different, and that seems just weird. It doesn’t make you Shepard, it makes you more like a tiny chip in his brain, that constantly interrupts him.
    If they would make it with Voice Control, then they should let you choose in a more innovative way than that. For example, you decide what Shepard says by just including the “dialoge option” at the start (e.g. “Help” or “Kill”) and than Shepard says something with your voice. At the start of the game for example you would have had to give pronounce a list of words and based upon that Kinect does the rest of it – you know like Kinect remembers your voice when you are angry or happy or horny, and transforms Shepards voice by pitching him or whatever. Just a thought.

21. onlineatron

“it makes you more like a tiny chip in his brain…”

Brilliant :D

22. Crab of Thunder

@20 Something about Sheperd having my voice in a horny manor would freak me out… a lot.

23. minxamo

The ghost recon gun demonstration is the only good use of it i’ve seen.

24. onlineatron

But is it a *good* use? No doubt it’s cool, the effect is a crowd pleaser and I even gave a ‘damn!’ when seeing the gun pulled apart; but what did the Kinect accomplish that a few button presses couldn’t?

25. polygem

yes we know ms – you keep pushing it. i still don´t care. as long as i have the option to not use it i wont use it. i am still not impressed. all i care about: good games, good online and a nice, bulky, old school controller. thx.

26. Zurtech

Surely if they want to push Kinect, then they need to make it cheaper, work in areas less than 6ft from the TV and allow players to “use” it how they want. Not everyone is rich with these giant living rooms, not mention not everyone even has their consoles in their living rooms to start with.

I might be a lazy cow, but I prefer lying on my bed after work playing games.
    Personally I felt the voice commands they showed off for ME3 ruined any immersion there was in the footage they showed. It’d be like goin to the cinema and having someone sat next you keep saying lines the actors are about to say in ye ear.

27. Christopher Jack

Voice commands could be good in a tactical shooter kind of like Rainbow Six, if done right. Make the AI allies respond to commands like “Help”, “Attack”, “Quite”, “Retreat”, “Medic”, “Ammo”, “Back up”, blah, blah, blah… Thing is, we don’t need Kinect for this crap, even the PlayStation Eye will be capable enough.

28. LOLshock94

im gay and so r sony

29. Lahanas

What a disgrace. Sooner or later Microsoft will come crawling back to real gamers, just like nintendo did.

30. OlderGamer

If I get team killed because some 12 yr old just picked his nose and accidently launched a rocket at my backside, I am not going to be happy!

31. Dralen

I’m seeing alot of this voice command stuff. But why can’t they do it without Kinect, like they used to do?

32. Ge0force

#31 They can, but they won’t because Kinect is the current hype. Voice recognition was near perfect implemented in Tom Clancy’s End War, but most gamers didn’t like it after playing for a while. It didn’t make the game more fun, and using buttons was ten times as fast.