Batman: Arkham City to take 25 hours plus to complete

Friday, 10th June 2011 04:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Rockstead’s Dax Ginn has dropped a few tantalising snippets on the size of Batman: Arkham City, the role of Catwoman, and something special in store for the Wii U.

In an interview with Destructoid, embedded below, Ginn said Rocksteady has been hard-pressed to create and implement systems to stop the player getting confused in such a large open world.

“That is not a very Batman thing,” Ginn said of getting lost. The Bat Signal is just one solution to this issue.

In terms of time, Ginn estimated the base plot might take around 25 hours to complete, while to get 100 percent completion, it may be twice that.

Asked about what role Catwoman plays in the game, Ginn said players control Catwoman for around ten percent of the game – so at least two and a half hours, I guess.

Finally, Ginn responded stonily when asked to comment on a rumour that the Wii U port is “the definitive version” of Arkham City, shaking his head before cheekily nodding agreement that he really wanted to talk about it, but couldn’t.

Arkham City is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in October., with a Wii U version in 2012.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. onlineatron

I hope they don’t hold back features from the 360/PS3 versions of Arkham City in order to promote the Wii U version next year.

2. blackdreamhunk

I wonder can you play as Bruce Wayne lol

3. onlineatron

I think that notion was shot down during the GTTV, Geoff Keighly demo on Monday. He asked whether there would be sections as Bruce, and the member of Rocksteady giving the demo said something along the lines of ‘we’re really just focussing on Batman, and Catwoman’.

P.S. Love how Google Chrome doesn’t flag ‘Batman’ as a misspelt word ;)

4. Moonwalker1982

To be honest, i’m not liking it one bit that you get 2,5 hours of Catwoman gameplay. Jesus…it’s a Batman game, why is this nessecary? Well that’s just my opinion. Who knows…it might be not so bad when i play it, but i just don’t understand why. If they wanted to put her in no matter what…just do it for a challenge mode or something.

5. Blerk

One of my favourite games of the show. The videos all looked brilliant, I can’t wait!

6. onlineatron

To be fair Catwoman is essentially a skin, with different animations. I’m sure her being playable is mostly for story reasons.

7. Blerk

Some people seem to be really cross about the Catwoman thing. I don’t really understand… why is it bad?

8. Gekidami

So yeah… A completely different character. Not sure what point you were trying to make there…

9. onlineatron

No idea, I dig it.

Maybe some people have severe raidenaphobia?

10. onlineatron

I’m saying that she probably won’t have any different gameplay conceits. She’ll travel around an open city, doing side missions, and critical path missions; she’ll have cutscenes, gadgets, combos, takedowns, etc…

It’s not like Rocksteady will dramatically alter the gameplay and force you to do something you don’t enjoy for 5hrs. If you enjoy playing as Batman, I’d imagine you’d enjoy playing as Catwoman.

Unless you’re hugely adverse to playing as a woman dressed as a cat.

Although, I play FemShep, what would I know?

11. Moonwalker1982

I’m just not happy with it, in games like Tomb Raider, sure…that’s what TR is. But in Batman? Nah…but like i said, maybe i end up enjoying it alot. From what i understand Catwoman’s gameplay wil be very different, i wonder if you can actually scale buildings (Asassin’s Creed like).