Quick Quotes: Bleszinski on people writing-off the story in Gears of War

Thursday, 9th June 2011 19:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“People say, ‘yeah, I tried the campaign, but whatever.’ Gears of War 3′s campaign is very important to us, and we’re going to have the longest damn campaign of the series in Gears 3. With these Pulp Fiction elements we’re adding, you get a better perspective of characters like Cole and Baird. But yeah, I dont get why people write it off either. (Laughs) The amount of work we put into it.” – Cliff Bleszinski speaking with Destructoid.

1. YoungZer0

I never liked those “I play games only for the Multiplayer” people.

2. IL DUCE

Gears campaign was one of the reasons I got my 360 since I used to play it co-op with friends at college, it was my first game for the 360 and I’ve always enjoyed the campaign in both Gears games so keep up the good work Cliff. Kind of like Halo when I got the original X Box at launch, Gears 1 campaign sucked me in when I first played it on the 360.

3. Stephany Nunneley

I don’t understand why everything has to have narrative or an awesome story. Why can’t it just be about blowing shit up sometimes? I dunno. Ignore me.

4. Just-Joe

Gears of War has a story? I just shoot whatever I see in front of me.

5. OrbitMonkey

@3 Now I know you don’t mean that… Do you? O_o

I like a good story, helps flesh out the universe. Even if its just dude killer 3 or what not & i’m spending 95% online, its nice to know why… you know?

6. BraveArse

I’m sorry but while gears is a great game with superb battles and set pieces IMO it’s story was clumsy at best. The whole nazi death camp thing was horrifyingly naive, verging on insulting. The combat was great fun though.

I agree with Steph btw. Better to be honest sometimes than go for lofty heights.

7. pukem0n

same with Halo, the real story is in the books. the games really are just to blow stuff up or nobody would buy them. still gears in coop is the best console experience you can have to date

8. Stephany Nunneley

@7 I love Gears co-op. It’s a blast.