PlayStation Home seeing record traffic

Thursday, 9th June 2011 06:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation’s perpetually derided virtual world social network, Home, has suddenly rocketed to record activity levels.

“We’re having record traffic in Home. The week we restored the service, we hit a new record in terms of weekly unique users,” Jack Buser, Home’s director, told Gamasutra.

Home is reportedly the only service on the PlayStation Network to actually see a jump in traffic since the PSN outage which began in April.

“We were watching the numbers and we were just so excited. We were just dancing in the streets,” Buser said.

“The numbers are through the roof. I think it speaks to the loyalty of our user base, and to the power of these kinds of platforms.”

Some explanation may be had in the presence of a virtual E3 2011 booth, which debuted in Home recently, as well as 100 free avatar customisation options awarded to users as part of Sony’s Welcome Back package.

During its E3 press conference, Sony confirmed PSN usage had returned to 90 percent of pre-outage levels.

[image]

1. Blerk

There are ten people on it this week? OMG!

2. mojo

i wouldnt underestimate home.
    There are some crazy ppl defending it with their lives because they realy, actualy find it cool..
    And sony apparently makes good money with t-shirts and furniture lol

3. jacobvandy

There are millions of people going on there to get their “100 free items” and hanging around because they can’t find where to get the damn things…

4. get2sammyb

It’s funny how people that never use Home criticise it.

5. viralshag

I don’t think Home is that bad to be honest. I do think it’s a little pointless but it’s not the worst thing to come out of the gameing industry.

Some of the promotional minigames and stuff have been fun. I remember spending some time playing some air race thing. That was pretty cool.

6. earlyrock

I admit I don’t go on it as much as I should, but the way Sony have improved it, looked after it and its users is good. They didn’t just give up on it they actually improved it. Props.