Wii U third-party footage actually from PS3 and X360 versions

Wednesday, 8th June 2011 03:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed footage of third-party titles seen in the Wii U reveal was actually generated from PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions.

In an interview posted to GameTrailers, Fils-Aime said the footage – which included a stunning look at Darksiders 2 – had been taken from current platform versions because Nintendo is “a year away from when the console will launch”

The Wii U is capable of full HD graphics, and Fils-Aime is confident the Wii U will “absolutely” look as good as current platforms, as well as make Nintendo more attractive to third parties.

“There has been some fantastic content that has not come to our platform,” he said.

“Third party publishers have told us that the reason they couldn’t bring it to our platform was based on the horsepower of the machine. That excuse is gone. So now all of the best content can come to the machine.”

See the full interview below.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. frostquake

I told you that they are not using the Actual WiiU Console…to show off the videos! So all those cords are running into a box into a PC, Xbox, PS3..LOL..or a Regular Wii!! LOL

This kind of concerns me, means they are further behind in the Console development then I thought or the bragging about HORSE POWER, may not be what they are saying….

Stupid of you to even say anything or admit..WiiU Fail Moment..LOL

Still excited..want to see the Console!! And really know what is under the Hood and what it can Really Do!!

2. triggerhappy686

Why even admit something like that???

3. TVs Everywhere

Well then, that makes that little montage horribly deceitful, isn’t it? The way people cheered when they saw Ninja Gaiden 3 it was obvious Nintendo was duping people into believing those games themselves were going to come out.

I haven’t seen marketing this sleazy since Sony pretended that those E3 ’06 pre-rendered videos of the PS3 were “in real time”.

4. hitnrun

Eh, I don’t make too much of this.

I am comfortable taking Nintendo on faith when they say their system will be on par with 6 and 7 year old competitors when it debuts next year.

5. onlineatron

Figured as much, didn’t expect people to have much up and running on the console; probably the reason Nintendo’s stuff was Wii-ish, it’s easy to throw that stuff together.

6. onlineatron

Because when pressed, without a predetermined response, people – especially honest people – tend to tell the truth.

7. neon6

@4 Honesty is the best policy. Shame though they only thought to grow a heart after the event.

8. Moonwalker1982

They are a year from launch, so it could come out before E3, or after.I’m guessing after.

I hope the console turns out to be MUCH stronger than 360 and PS3, not just alittle. Cause if that’s the case…their console won’t matter for multiplats anymore, as soon as the new consoles from MS and Sony come out.

It could be the perfect console really, you have all the well known awesome games like Mario,Mario kart,Zelda,Donkey Kong,Etc, and then all the multiplats from third parties. Let’s wait and see.

9. frostquake

I’ll admit I am a graphics WHORE…and I would Love a HIGH END HOOKER CLASS looking Zelda game…ROFL

10. Telepathic.Geometry

I don’t see why a few posters are up in arms about this. It’s not like they lied about it. If the final hardware isn’t finished – and how could it possibly be – it has to be running on something other than a Wii-U. Do we really believe that the footage seen will not be possible on the Wii-U? I mean really?

11. frostquake

I just think they should have said right up front that these are not versions of our games, but they will look this good or even BETTER!!

12. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, that’s all well and good, but I think when you’re making your presentation you want to keep it simple so everybody can understand what the system can do, and then afterwards to clear up details.

Like if they say here it is, but it’s not multi-touch, and this is actual PS3 footage and that box over there is just a mock-up of the final form factor and blah blah blah… You lose focus. If the final footage is going to look like that then there’s no need to bring it up. The journos will of course expect full transparency afterwards when we want to know in more detail what the dealio is.

Saying that, if the final product weren’t to look like the footage shown, you’d be well within your rights to call them out on it, of course.

13. Phoenixblight

“Zelda looks amazing and if a new Zeldas gonna look like that, well…that would be amazing. I’ve always wanted Zelda to look like this. And with third party support that’s awesome.”

They stated multiple times all the videos were tech demos infact that Link demo was used for when the Wii was first announced.

Nintendo will not gain any core from this, a year later, and then playing catch up with the titles? When the 360 and PS3 will be for sure cut down in price not only that the new gen consoles will be known by then so Nintendo will be chasing their tails once again. Great awesome I can use a drawing tablet when I play games but I can essentially do the same thing with the PS3 and Vita.

14. TVs Everywhere

Uh, did you watch the same presser than I did? Because all I saw for a good half hour was a horrendously confusing series of explanations as to why the controller is so great, not even saying that the Wii U was even a real console.

In short, the conference was already horrendously confusing. Showing a bunch of games in a montage that won’t even appear, with footage of versions that’s not even their own is horrendously misleading in and of itself. Not clarifying anything about that is even more confusing, not “keeping it simple”.

15. Just-Joe

@14 And what proof do you have that all those game won’t be coming to the Wii U, did you talk to all those developers who said they were making those games for it?

We still have about a year before the system even comes out. I have no idea why anyone is bitching about something like this, they wouldn’t have shown all those games if they weren’t going to look like they weren’t going to look like that on the Wii U. Hell if Nintendo show any games at all people would just bitched even more.

16. Gekidami

It was a bit obvious, they did, after all just show the same trailers.

17. varsas

@13: It’ll be far cheaper than a PS3+Vita combination.

As for releasing next year, we still don’t know the specs but if the majority of games were 1080p running at 60fps then that would enough of an improvement.

18. Blerk

Heh heh. Poor old Ninty, I don’t think this “launch” has gone quite the way they planned.

19. Telepathic.Geometry

Schadenfreude Blerkie?

20. Blerk

I’m a bad man, yes. I know. :-)

21. Telepathic.Geometry

Ah, that’s okay, I kick cats.

22. Telepathic.Geometry

(just-in-case-smilie) :^D

23. Blerk

Cats are evil, dude. They’d totally kick you if they had the chance.

24. Telepathic.Geometry

I know, that’s why I kill them. ‘Kick’ was a typo. ^-^

25. ASBI

srsly ?? first an improper controller for a new console that seems so outdated , then u cant buy the controller without the new console although the controller works with regular wiis which makes it stupid that u have to have two fukken wiis while the old wii’s games will probably work on the new one , then they shock uw by stating that this footage is for ps3 and 360, which probably means the footage could be worse considering that they didnt show it on E3

guys plzz help me , am I missing something here ? have I gone nuts ?

does any1 think that this is more useless than the iPad ?

26. Blerk

The controller doesn’t work with regular Wiis.

27. ASBI

then it must be the other way around

Im sure I read something like this

28. ManuOtaku

I get two key factors here first that this mean the games shown are not runing in WII U which means that theres a possibility that the wii U has more power than the ps3/360 because thats was they did show, so the possibility of a more powerfull console is still running, nice i like this therefore when the new consoles arrive the Wii U will not be so left behind like this gen, that will be great for nintendo to keep getting thir party support for the entire lifecycle of the device.

Second that this games maybe will be exploting in some ways the Wii U original characteristics, like the darksiders anouncement that will be good two,therefore this news gets me bigger hopes.

29. DSB

They should really do some kind of press release to determine what it was they actually showed. What were people playing at the displays?

Showing off a concept without using the actual product is nothing outrageous at a trade show, but it’s not serving them well that people have no idea what’s what.

30. reask

It seems to me that this is just another gimmick like the wii.
    I mean what is it exactly a handheld or a console?
    It would appear to be neither.

Fool me once shame on you.
    Fool me twice shame on me.
    I will wait until its third year to make sure there are actually gonna be proper games on it and not just super mario type ones.

31. Dimaco

BAM! Can’t say we didn’t see that coming…