Respawn title called a “sci-fi shooter” by EA’s Gibeau

Wednesday, 8th June 2011 17:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA Games Label president Frank Gibeau said during an E3 meeting this morning that the firm plans to alternate Battlefield and Medal of Honor releases on an annual basis, and will release Respawn’s project when it sees an “opportunistic” window for what he called a “sci-fi shooter”.

According to Gibeau: “In general we’re going to continue to follow our rotation strategy of giving studios a full two-year cycle to get a game built and polished to maximum quality, but we’re going to do it in a way that allows us to maximize technology investments like Frostbite 2, the online service models that we’re doing… we’re going to be able to trade team knowledge and increase the quality of the products year in, year out,” he said.

“The idea is to have that rotation happen with Battlefield and Medal of Honor and keep it fresh so you don’t burn the teams down or over-annualize the product lines. Titles like Respawn – and I think the Insomniac title is a little bit more of an action game than a pure shooter – we’ll sprinkle those in where we see opportunistic gaps, either in a release schedule or in a genre standpoint.

“Those typically are more sci-fi oriented shooters, where as the Medal of Honor and Battlefield brands are obviously more modern military oriented. So it allows us to pick and choose the best of the sci-fi shooters. It allows us to compete with things like Gears and Halo and put them on places in our release calendar where they’re not cannibalistic to the core business and that’s the essential strategy going forward.”

It has along been the rumor that Respawn’s title for EA Partners was a sci-fi shooter, and Gibeau’s comment pretty much confirms it.

Repsawn recently hired Star War artist Iain McCaig. who has created many sci-fi characters in the past.

Via CVG.

1. Erthazus

So Call Of duty in space.

Everyone will be apeshit again because someone changed setting. Thats the reason why Modern Warfare 1 was so popular in the days of WW2.

I think these guys are going to create another CASH Cow for EA.

2. Fin

SOUNDS AWESOME

3. DSB

Annualized military shooters, eh? I wonder who gave ‘em that idea!

4. G1GAHURTZ

Cool stuff!

Looking forward to big things from Respawn.

5. Gekidami

^ I thought you hated sci-fi shooters…

6. blackdreamhunk

pppfff I love the space genres it’s why I love mass effect so much

7. G1GAHURTZ

“Sci-fi” is pretty ambiguous in this context.

It could mean anything from near future (ten or so years from now) to galaxy far, far, away, outer space travelling, laser beam firing space marine times.

The latter can be cool if it’s done properly, but I generally don’t like the former type.

I don’t have a problem with futuristic weapons based on modern ones, but with a hi-tech twist…

But laser beams and guns that don’t go bang?

No thanks.

Besides, Respawn were cool to me personally, so I’m going to hype up all their games!

8. Maximum Payne

@7 I think it will be something between Halo and Crysis .Actually its really strange how there is no SCI FI shooters like Halo killer last SCI FI I played was Singularity on PC.And also how there is no military rts ? Why EA don’t Generals 2 like it did with Red Alert ?

9. pukem0n

scifi shooters are great, just not with all those laser weapons…

thats why my favourite halo guns were essentially all the standardguns like the assault rifle or the pistol, not this alien bullshit

10. OrbitMonkey

Well I hope DICE doesn’t handle the mp for the next MOH. I think EA should give Danger Close a shot, I much preferred their sp portion of the game to the half baked mp DICE phoned in. Plus it’d add variety :)

11. Maximum Payne

@10 Actually problem was how different was art style/weapons.Like in MP no recoil no ”one in the chamber” no slide no vehicles….

12. pukem0n

wasnt the MOH mp just a dumbed down bad company 2?
    just let danger close do it themself and let Dice work on greater games

13. JopDiga

OK I’m gonna tell you guys what will happen in one/two years.

EA vs Activision

This year: Battlefield 3 vs Call of Duty: MW3
    2012: Medal of Honor “2″ vs Call of Duty “9″ (Treyarch)
    2013: Respawn Entertainment “future” FPS vs Call of Duty: Future Warfare (Infinity Ward, new engine).

Respawn will also use Frostbite 2.x like Medal of Honor “2″ will.
    Treyarchs 2012 CoD will use old engine.
    IW/SH CoD will use new engine.

Maybe XBOX “720″ and PlayStation “4″ are going to be released end 2013, in 2012 Sony/MS would give their hardware to developers so Future Warfare and that Respawn game could use an upgraded/new engine with real 1080p and 60fps.

14. Maximum Payne

@13 I listen some interview about MW3 and guy said like we never said its trilogy…so they are going to call it MW4 which would be sequel to story or prequel I think its early for Future Warfare.I think one of reason IW was destroyed is because they want to start new ”trilogy” like Future Warfare but they didn’t get permission.

15. Coheno

@DSB

Dude whether you like it or not, CoD has proved that there is a market to sell 30 mio copies of an FPS every year, so of course EA is gonna give them some competition, anything else would be stupid and not thought through! They need to make their shareholders happy and maximize their earnings, this is how they do it.

At least they’re not putting out the same damn franchaise every year!

But I’m very hyped for whatever Respawn is working on! Can’t wait to see what they bring to the genre, which Acti didn’t want them doing.

Also, am I the only one thinking that Acti is gonna sue them (again, you know, for new stuff) when they announce this and try to stop them from putting it out?

16. DSB

@Coheno Actually it was only half-true. EA invented annualization with their sports games and essentially built the entire company on that. It used to be fine because building another engine within 365 days was no problem, and you couldn’t update rosters using the internet, but now you’re essentially getting new content worthy of little more than a patch for the full price.

Activision just copied that business model and transferred it to shooters, with the main caveat that their games get two years in the oven, where EAs sports games generally get one. Why should people be allowed to love mostly identical sports games year after year, and not shooter fans?

Personally I see no real value to Treyarch beyond making Infinity Ward look good (at least in the past) but it doesn’t change the fact that EA are introducing the very same business model which seemed to offend so many. Even if they actually invented it in the first place.

I just think it’s hypocritical to distinguish one aggressive multinational corporation from the other, when they’re essentially one and the same.