E3 BULLETCAST – Wii U video reaction, ultra news-roundup

Wednesday, 8th June 2011 09:23 GMT By Patrick Garratt

So. Much. News. Here’s the important stuff, including links to all press conference content. Also, there’s a video here of my thoughts on why Wii U is anything but a core videogames console.

Here’s some instant reactions in the Wii U reveal and a bit of a status update generally:

The press conferences:

Nintendo

Sony

Microsoft

EA

Ubisoft

Here are the major headlines outside of the press conferences since yesterday:

Here’s an E3 video round-up:

And here’s a selection of screens:

1. Brenna Hillier

Look at his tattoooooooooooooos

Pat is the most awesome boss forever

2. Blerk

Awesome list!

Will watch Pat later. When I’m alone.

3. Patrick Garratt

/ankle

4. mojo

cool.

This is a cool format.
    and tattoos.

On the topic: I think ur spot on. contrary to what they wanted us to think, this is not going anywhere near beeing a console for the core.

I realy dont see a feature where i might be intrigued to have it.
    Its just Ps360 grafics with a gimmick im sure Sony and MS can pull of easily with Vita and WP7 Phones.

but i actualy didnt expect anything else.

5. Fin

Hit the nail on the head about Wii U Pat.

Also, I’m saving that video for the private collection.

6. Gekidami

Good video, and i agree with pretty much everything said. Pat’s on to you, Nintendo.

7. kingofscotland

Yeah I agree on Wii, I said last night on twitter that I thought Mii 2 would have been a better name cos thats all they are doing:

Yeah we can do Battlfield
    We can do Batman
    We can do all these PS3/X360 games 2 (but months after they are released on the other consoles)

So Nintendo what is the point????? I already have a PS3 and had an Xbox 360 – I dont want to look at the controller when I have a 50″ 3D TV with 5.1 so why would I play on a controller thats not portable – if it hooked up to the console thru wifi and could play anywhere – then that would be a changer!!

8. Telepathic.Geometry

I kinda agree but I also disagree a bit here Pat. It’s not for the core in the same way that 360 and PS3 are. They are first and foremost dedicated to the core gamer. But at the same time there are games on the Wii that as a true gamer, you’ve just got to want to play too. IMO.

9. Patrick Garratt

@8 – Yep, completely agree. There’ll be core gamers that use it, obviously. But it’s not going to become a core target console for anyone making and selling games, in my opinion. I think the next Sony and Microsoft machines will focus on power again, and that’s where the main core creatives will be putting their next round of content. I reckon it’s worth looking at the PC demos of Battlefield 3 to get an idea of what the next step’s going to look like. Wii U couldn’t manage anything like that.

10. manamana

So 2012 its X3OX announcement and Sony in 2013. X3OX launches in 2013 whilst PS4 launch 2014. Nintendo will be one year ahead with its console launch, but one year to late, when it comes to non-exclusives.

11. OlderGamer

Nice to see your mug on here and also nice to hear your two cents worth on the WiiU.

I don’t fully agree with you, but thats ok.

I think people wanted Nintendo to stop being Nintendo and switch over to being another MS/Sony. But honestly, we don’t need a thrid company doing the exact same stuff. The fact is there are vastly different demographics out there, and the “core” only represent a smaller then we like to think portion of the great whole.

I am glad Nintendo didn’t outright change.

There is also this notion going around that when the next generation offerings from MS and Sony do arrive, they will be leaps and bounds ahead(graphicly) of where things are today. I very much disagree with that. I think we may well be looking at a bump in quality that would be akin to the bumb in quality between PS2 and Xbox one. I expect the upper crust to look smoother, runs smoother, and perhaps be locked in a full 1080p. But for most non-AAA games, I doubt we will see much a difference at all. TVs can only display so much. Eyes can only see so much. And a game dev studio can only spend so much time and money(before a game would cost more then the market will pay).

Go play a Halo xb360 game and xboxone Halo2 both in SD and I think you will see what I am talking about. Very little disconcernable difference.

My gut tells me that graphics will improve next gen, but not by leaps and bounds. Meaning that I don’t feel as if WiiU will be left behind, graphicly.

I can’t directly comment on the WiiUs controler due to lack of any experience holding/using it. It looks nice. And I am intreged.

Will the WiiU get a butt load of ports from games now on PS360? I am guessing yes. And I would be lying if I said I thought most people will care.

Look, with the expection of features, can the average gamer at the store tell the difference between one FIFA game to the next? One Call of Duty game looks the same as any other. As long as the big name franchises are represented and kept current – for example if Battlefield4 is out on PS4/XboxNext, and it is out on WiiU, not too many people will care if it uses Frostbite 2.5 or the Frostbite 2.0. If ya follow me. That distinction will be for nerds. Kind of like some of our members touting high end PC graphics and complaining about the low res graphics of PS360 games. In the end almost no one cares.

So I don’t see the WiiUs graphics being a problem. If they use slightly tweaked current gen tech, thats a bonus in my book. A strength. So long as I am not wrong, and the next gen brings HoloDeck level imersion, lol. If I am right and PS4/xbnext are only modest bumps in graphics, then a slightly better then todays graphics avalible on the WiiU will be more then fine for the vast majority of gamers.

As long as WiiU looks nice, most people will be happy with that. Look how long it is taking for BluRays to overtake DVD sales. DVDs still grossly outsell Blurays were I am from. It comes down to price point vs performance. Most people are very happy with upscaled DVDs vs BluRays. I own a few BRs, but more then 90% of what I buy are SD DVDs.

As far as the actual games themself?

Its Nintendo. I can not wait to get my hands on that Zelda game. I would buy the system for that game alone. Add in Metroid. Mario. Mario Kart. Kirby. Smash Bros. Yea I am there.

I expect to be offered top teir quality games from Nintendo. And multiplatform 3rd party games from the big boys like EA, Acti, ect. I also bet that Japan jumps behind the WiiU like crazy. Everyone saw the way the Wii sold. And a lot of compnaies found themself out of position when the system launched. They won’t make that mistake again.

This time around motion controls won’t be a barrier for companies to either port games or make new ones. Add into that the WiiU is a JP system, it won’t force anyone to do online. It will be easy to program for. And the controler excits a lot of people, I think a lot of JP companies will be very willing to throw their suport behind it. Esp as Handheld markets continue to lose ground to Cell Phones/iOS.

The thing I can not figure out is why so many dedicated gamers feel threatend by the WiiU. Cause thats the kneejerk reactions that I am reading/watching. Its almost like they are affriad of the thing. Maybe they are worried that if the focus continues to diversify less games aimed at them will be made?

We have all been through enough of these generations at this point to understand that as time goes by our tastes in games changes. I often revisit my PSone/Sega Saturn collections and wonder why I bought this or that game. There is going to come a time when every single one of us puts down that “core” game and picks up something easier to get into, less challanging. Something that doesn’t take itself so serioursly. Something that isn’t about blood splater. Trust me boys, you will get there if you haven’t already arrived. And when you do you prolly won’t mind a little more diversity in your game libary. There are only so many CoD and BF sesions you can play in your lifetime.

So for me, bring on the WiiU!

12. manamana

I get what you mean. Like, most gamers are ok with this-console-gen graphics for the next years. But I believe, that many core-gamers have moved from their costly PC-rigs to the more pickupandplay consoles. Plus the ones who are fed up of this-gen-consoles and are willing to move on.

So by your statement: “If I am right and PS4/xbnext are only modest bumps in graphics, then a slightly better then todays graphics avalible on the WiiU will be more then fine for the vast majority of gamers.” I think you are wrong. I am almost shure, that the next round will be a rush for the most powerful console out there. Neither MS nor Sony will go casual in first place, they do metoos (Kinect/Move) but concentrate on the core gamers.

And core gamers wants techspechs to jizz on. And they know that.

13. OlderGamer

Well imo, casual doesn’t mean poor graphics. And core games don’t mean amazing graphics.

“I am almost shure, that the next round will be a rush for the most powerful console out there. Neither MS nor Sony will go casual in first place, ..”

And the biggest thing I am wondering at this point is how much more power can they put into a piece of hardware? And what type of bump in graphics quality will we honestly get in the next gen?

We could go buy/build a PC rig that would be super nice. But we would spend far more on it then a consoles can cost and still sell. And despite what some of our site resident PC gamers claim, high end PCs don’t blow the doors off of current gen systems as it is. Graphical resolutions are a nice step up. But those get shot down when you take that PC and stick in on a 40-50inch TV anyways.

So my question becomes what can MS/Sony make and sell for less then 500usd? Because realisticly that is what the next gen will be. And I believe the lack of amount of hardware power at the price point is why MS/Sony are very happy to stay in the current gen. I think they know they can’t offer hardware that does much more then they have right now at a price point that they can move them off of store shelfs.

No one will buy a 1500usd PS4. And a 500usd PS4, with first run launch games, that don’t look any better then curent gen software is going to be a hella tough sale.

I know a lot of gamers want power power power, but I don’t think that is what next gen is going to be about. Power vs price point is a tuff cookie to crack.

14. ManuOtaku

I agree with oldergamer, this gen most of the games dont run in native 1080 p, therefore for me the next gen consoles will focus on this and to have better AA, keeping the same performance running 3D games, therefore we will se trully 1080 p with 3D vision without hurting the overall picture perfomance, therefore i think the Wii U will not be that left behind like this gen it will be closer and i think nintendo foresaw this in order to keep getting strong third party support during the Wii U life time, that and theres maybe a way to expand the graphics capacity of the Wii U like they did with the N64 and the expansion cartridge that enhance the capacity of the N64, therefore is to soon to tell what it is in store for the Wii U the most important thing right now is that nintendo address one key issue that affected them in the past, third party support and for that i think the Wii U will do better than the Wii. Of course adding to this the innovative control idea that will expand gameplay ways of doing games.