CCP: Doing Dust 514 on 360 would be “tricky”

Wednesday, 8th June 2011 14:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

CCP’s admitted that the openness of devs for PSN from Sony has enabled Dust 514 to connect with MMO counterpart EVE Online.

Thomas Farrer, producer on 514, told RPS that the restrictions of Xbox Live would have made running the game “tricky.”

“I think some of the challenges we’d meet would be tricky. But then also as a developer you’ve got to weigh the balance. It’s nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you don’t have to make any awkward compromises, technically,” he said.

“Also you get the benefit of a closer relationship with that platform. And with the production methodology that we have, we don’t fire and forget the games. It’s about continuous development. So we keep working on them, and you see the huge number of updates that have occurred on EVE in the last seven or eight years.

“The thinking is the same with DUST. So having that relationship with the platform holder is important for us.”

Whilst doing it on 360 would seem “tricky,” senior producer on EVE Online Torfi Frans Olafsson said Sony had an “understanding” with the shooter.

“Our vision for the future is more closely aligned. For example, most of DUST is running on our own technology, it’s running on our own super-computer, on Tranquillity. And Sony is a lot more… open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things,” added Farrer.

“It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important.”

Dust 514 will launch on PS3 in 2012 via PSN, with a beta to arrive by the end of the year.

1. Thalius

Im quite looking forward to this.

2. onlineatron

Hopefully working on one platform will give them a chance to make it look not shit.

3. El_MUERkO

#2 :D

4. Petulant Radish

My understanding of it is it looks complete bullshit, not sure 360 only users are missing out on anything here…

5. Blerk

It’s an interesting concept. I have absolutely no idea whether it will actually work or not, though.

6. mojo

from the technical side of the concept this is huge.
    2 systems, 2 genres, 2 games in 1 giant realm.

7. Erthazus

I’m dissapointed that these developers basically said to PC EVE long time supporters: FUCK YOU Guys it’s exclusive to PS3.

I will buy this game and will play it a lot. I’m a EVE Player in the past, but making it exclusive to PS3 just makes it’s EVE fanbase in the RAGE mode.

8. onlineatron

No doubt it sounds interesting, even if I have *no* idea what they actually want to do; it’s just the showing at the Sony presser was lacklustre.

9. OrbitMonkey

My understanding of it is that whenever this game is mentioned, flocks of 360 only owners start to shit on it from up on high. Question is why? From the rabid burblings I’ve read they seem to think its trying to copy Halo o_O

Silly children, its a lot more ambitious ;)

10. pukem0n

well, i was looking forward to it, until i saw actual game footage…

11. varsas

@10: The trailer was excellent so I’m not sure why you changed your mind?

12. Xenoliath

That was the most indirect way of saying Microsoft have cross-platform restrictions ever.

13. speedxl01

@10 It’s a PRE ALPHA DEMO.. there’s still a lot of development to be done.

14. Asura

I recommend you check out this trailer which represents the CCP’s vision for the Eve universe, including Dust

15. blackdreamhunk

I thought that Dust was coming to the pc.

If they’ve signed an exclusivity deal with Sony, then they wouldn’t be able to say anything else. But it seems inevitable that Dust 514 will arrive on PC eventually. It simply doesn’t make sense that it wouldn’t. Until we hear a hard confirmation that it’s never going to happen, we’re assuming that Dust 514 is a PC game.

16. rrw

@7 ehh it seem F2P

17. blackdreamhunk

if I was eve online gamer I would be pissed too, if the wasn’t heading to the pc. I wouldn’t surprised if the if the online community for eve online doped. I hear dust will be free to play too.

I am glade I don’t support such game devs

18. blackdreamhunk

by the way Black Prophecy looks to be a much better game.