Rift has almost 1 million folks playing it, according to Trion Worlds

Tuesday, 7th June 2011 14:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Trion Worlds’ SVP of publishing David Reid has said that Rift’s sell-through to consumers hit almost 1 million units during the game’s first three months live.

Speaking in an interview with Gamasutra, Reid said the firm was on the verge of selling it’s 1 millionth unit, and that it’s an actual real figure – not shipped, but sold.

“These [numbers are] real people who have bought the client, installed it, paid for it and played the game,” he said, adding that the lucky person to be the millionth subscriber will receive something “special” from Trion along with their referrer should they have one.

“We’re really pleased with what we’re seeing, ” he continued, “and beyond that, it was a pleasure to see in the latest Activision Blizzard earnings call that Rift was inquired about when Blizzard announced their subscriber numbers went from 12 million to 11.4 million.

“You can do some math… we know very well where those 600,000 people are. I think that there is a pattern or history that you can see across other [MMOs]. We have seen that when new games launch, people go and play them, then people go back to World of Warcraft. That has been historically true.

“I think it would be a mistake to look at past history as an indicator of future performance in this case. We know we have a very stick game, we know we are getting a lot of success right now. … If in fact the 600,000 players [Blizzard] lost came to Rift, I don’t think they’ll be getting those 600,000 people back as quick as they did from Aion, Conan, Warhammer and the like.”

The investment total in Rift is at 50 million, but Trion has raised over $100 million in venture capital over the years, and the firm is working on bringing Rift to Asia and Russia in the future, but admits there’s “an awful lot of localization that needs to be done,” for the Asian markets; plus the competition from titles such as
Guild Wars 2, Tera and SWTOR primed for the areas. However, with a lot of MMOs going free-to-play, Reid is still of the opinion that th sub-market is still a valid way to keep income for an MMO coming in, plus, people are will to pay as long as th content keeps coming.

1. Arman.G4

خوبه …

2. viralshag

I just started playing again with some friends on a US server and unlike when I tried that with WoW, it plays like I was still on an EU server whereas WoW was pretty much unplayable. And what’s even better, I don’t need to buy a US version of the game, I just switch it over in the launcher.

I agree with David Reid in that there is still life in sub-based MMOs. Especially when it is handled in the superb way Trion do it. I’m really glad I started playing again (and that I started playing Defiant) because it really is a great game.

Do I sound like a fanboy? Probably. Why? Because I am one when it comes to Rift. Keep on Riftin’ baby…

Still excited for GW2, SWTOR… Hmmm, I guess so.

3. thiz

@2 EU Servers aren’t dead buddy. Playing on Whitefall Server makes you see players everywhere.

Rift rocks. Keep it up Trion!

4. Toastrules

Misspelled “Worlds” in the title

5. OlderGamer

Its good to be a Rift fanboy. I am.

6. Heinekeno

“Trion has raised over $100 million in venture capital”
    How can game company get such large amount of VC?

I think America VC bubble will burst soon and non some developers will be closed down if they can`t repay their VC share.

7. viralshag

@ thiz,

Sorry dude, I didn’t mean to imply I left the EU servers because I thought they were dead. I just went to the US server because a friend over there just started playing. :)

I still pop in every now and then to my EU server, it’s just that my friends there started as Guardians and I much more prefer Defiant. :D