Nintendo’s E3 2011 press conference – WiiU, 3DS, Zelda

Tuesday, 7th June 2011 10:07 GMT By Patrick Garratt

We may have had four press conferences on the first day of E3 yesterday, but the main event was saved for this afternoon. The next generation doesn’t start until Nintendo says it does. And it says it starts right now.

Nintendo has confirmed in Los Angeles today that its next machine is called Wii U.

The console will launch next year, and features a tablet-style controller. You can read a full report on the machine, its reveal and everything else related to it right here.

The other stuff

Wii U wasn’t the only thing on display, though. The event kicked off with a Zelda montage to mark the monster property’s 25th anniversary. The movie showed every game from the history of the series, building up to Ocarina’s upcoming 3D remake for 3DS.

Skyward Sword was then shown, followed by the game’s anniversary logo.

Shigeru Miyamoto came out on stage in a suit and tie, speaking through his usual translator, Bill Trenen.

He spoke about Zelda, saying the gameplay and visuals have constantly evolved with each hardware system.

He stuck to music as theme, saying sounds create feelings, giving opening crates in Zelda as an example. He made the resident orchestra play the Zelda jingles for opening chests, solving puzzle and the fairy fountain.

We’re now coming to you live from the Nintendo E3 press conference. It’ll be starting in a few minutes. This article will be updated as the event unfolds.

Links Awakening will be available on Virtual Console today, it was announced, as part of the 25th birthday celebrations. Ocarina of Time will release for 3DS next week, Miyamoto said.

DSiware is to get a Four Swords game for free in September, and Skyward Sword was confirmed as releasing this year for Wii.

A special gold Wiimote is to release alongside the game. Legend of Zelda symphone concerts are to be held around the world this year. Two Zelda music CDs are also to be released: those who register Ocarina 3DS first with Club Nintendo will get first dibs.

Eiji Aonuma and other Zelda dev legends were brought out on stage, before Miyamoto thanked the fans and closed the Zelda anniversary segment off.

This is E3′s main event. You cannot miss this. We’ll have live updates from the conference floor, and you can watch live on Nintendo’s site. We watched all of yesterday’s streams on GTTV, and it held up amazingly well.

Satoru Iwata came out, talking about who plays and how we play.

Moving instantly on to talking about gaming hardware, he said that the games console hasn’t been created yet that caters for all.

He said the next Nintendo console will provide deeper game experiences and have a wider appeal than Wii.

“It will let everyone see games in a different way,” he said, before telling the crowd he was going to leave full details till later.

They moved onto 3DS using “new experiences” as an excuse. Mario Kart was shown first in a trailer, followed by Starfox, Mario and Kid Icarus.

The first ever look of Luigi’s Mansion on 3DS was shown, before Reggie came out on stage.

“You want the buzz of the new,” he said. “You want comfortable, and you want surprise.”

“Something for everyone” stood as a logo on the screen behind him.

He rolled into a Mario Kart 3DS movie, which is a “tricked out version” featuring underwater sections, flying and kart customization.

It’s out this year.

Starfox 3DS was next. It features tilt features for control, but you can use normal buttons if you wish. A camera feature for multiplay was shown.

Reggie confirmed a September release for it, before moving onto Mario, saying it’s the first 3D Mario created from scratch for a handheld.

Gameplay was shown in a trailer, confirming use of the raccoon suit, as was teased at GDC. The game’s out this year.

Kid Icarus came next, showing a colourful reinvention of the fan-favourite. Multiplay was see with various weapons being used in angel-based combat. A large Medusa was seen at the end of the demo, and augmented reality combat was also seen.

Three-on-three multiplayer will be on display at E3 this week. Again, the game’s out this year.

Luigi’s Mansion 2 was then fully announced, with a gameplay movie being shown. It looked very much like the Gamecube original, although there seemed to be much more variation in the game’s environments.

Reggie said it’s an entirely new game and will feature “several new mansions.”

The NoA boss moved onto 3DS third-parties, showing a trailer including Resident Evil: Mercenaries, the Mario and Sonic olympic title from Sega, Cave Story 3D, Tekken 3D, Ace Combat and MGS 3D.

Reggies bigged up the 3DS eShop, which launched yesterday. He confirmed that demos are coming to the service later this year.

An “enhanced Pokédex” is releasing for 3DS. It’s a search and sort tool for Pokémon fans. Pokédex 3D is only available by download through the eShop. It’s free.

“3ds means social, connection, it redefines interaction,” Reggie said.

1. M. K.

Hype your name is Cafe, eh no Stream! No Beem! No Current! No Nintendo! Aww what ever, bring it on! \o/

2. Blerk

I look forward to saying ‘what the fuck?!’ later.

3. Mike

It’d be hilarious if it was all just rumour and they announced nothing new at all.

Just Mario, Zelda, et al for 3DS/Wii.

I’d laugh, anyway.

4. M. K.

Oh yeah, it’s Nintendos chance to finally step into this console generation, and I hope they won’t waste it!

5. FabioPal

@4 Too late to “step in”, they’d better change something or it’ll be a waste of microchips ;)

6. ruckus

A bit nervous to be honest. All down to the controller either being awesome and costing a packet or (more likely) a bit naff to come in at a sane price point.

In fact I think I feel a bit cold about the whole controller screen thing but hopefully Nintendo can pull it off.

7. Fin

I’d be surprised if we saw the console, the name, the price point and a tight release window all at once. Pick two, I’d say.

8. Telepathic.Geometry

I’m violently masturbating even as I type in anticipation of the next Ninty console. Please, trophy support!!!

9. Patrick Garratt

All I’m going to say is that this had better be bloody good.

10. tenthousandgothsonacid

I think we’re due a Ninty screw up.

11. Blerk

We just had one, didn’t we? That 3DS thing? :-D

12. M. K.

@4 Too late to “step in”, they’d better change something or it’ll be a waste of microchips.

It stands and falls with the price and their features. This will sound like a wet dream of mine, but if:

1. The specs are better than Xbox 360′s
    2. They come up with some good online features
    3. They get full 3rd party support
    4. Price is in range of 250-350$

I’m in :)

/e: lol, yeah Blerk we did :’D

13. Blerk

From the sounds of it the controllers are going to be $250 each. They’ll probably give you a console free with your first one.

14. M. K.

Haha yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of :D

15. frostquake

Waiting and bleary eyed…LOL…My Cell Phone..is exploding with texts…sheesh..who would have thought you could get text callouses?? LOL

16. JonFE

It would be cool if you could use a 3DS as a controller as well…

17. frostquake

How is everyone enjoying the eShop on 3DS??

18. xino

today….history will be made!

I was surprised Microsoft’s conference was enjoyable and better than last time.

Sony as usually was garbage.

Nintendo won last E3, today they will claim it….AGAIN!

19. HeavenlyGamer

I read this yesterday. How sweet it would be if all of it would be true..

20. Moonwalker1982

It would be amazing man and i would LOVE to go all crazy and what now, but i ain’t. Cause if i do..and the conference turns out to be ‘meh’ so to speak, the dissapointment level won’t be skyhigh, cause my expectations were just neutral.

It would be incredible if the GTA V rumour is true, for Nintendo to get such a adult game on their system. IMO it would be perfect, they’d be ridden of that ‘kiddy this,kiddy that’ image right away if they get that game to their new system.

But it all sounds too good to be true..we’ll see. I just hope..they at least acknowledge the core-gaming crowd now too…that’s all.

21. OlderGamer

@HG

If even some of that stuff is true Nintendo will do very well next gen.

22. Kabby

1. The specs are better than Xbox 360′s
    For now. In a years time when Xbox/PS sequels are announced it will look tame.

2. They come up with some good online features
    It’s Nintendo. They cannot do online or internet. At all.

3. They get full 3rd party support
    Never happens.

4. Price is in range of 250-350$
    This is the only possible comment that could be accurate.

23. Blerk

Anyway, bugger Nintendo – this is our last chance for a GTAV reveal this E3, right? :-)

24. someguy2

Nintendo will probably win E3 with this conference.

Edit: This conference is only for an hour right?

25. Patrick Garratt

I’ve updated the piece with some streaming video links. As I cay there, the GT stream was basically amazing yesterday.

26. Len

Agreed, was great all day on GT.

I’m totally intrigued by this, what will they show us? Be great if they did an Apple and gave us specs, price and date in 3months for release.

Then again… ;)

27. Patrick Garratt

They’ve already said 2012, unfortunately. That really would be hilarious.

“It’s available now…”

28. Razor

GT stream has indeed being awesome.

YouTube has been awful…and I recommended YouTube to everyone as it was immense last year. Dunno what happened this year.

29. joshua nash

@19 very interesting read, now i don’t know how much of that could be true but i does give me hope that nintendo might have made a console that will appeal to me

30. Fin

Why no reader comments on this CoverItLive?

31. Patrick Garratt

@30 – I decided to turn it off. We were getting hundreds of comments that weren’t getting answered. We want to make sure we don’t split up the conversation, etc. If it’s all in here, it’s all in here.

(And it makes the site look quiet when it isn’t. And I hate that.)

32. Patrick Garratt

I was at the Gamecube E3 press conference, don’t you know. I saw the first ever Gamecube game shown. It was Super Smash Bros. Melee. There were no live streams back then, boyo.

33. ruckus

I thought there was a live stream for the GC.
    /remembers awesome Diddy Kong Racing sequel with racing bees. If only… ;_;

34. Patrick Garratt

Maybe there was. Feels like a long time ago, that. There was barely room to even sit on the floor. It was delayed so they could clear the stage of broadcast press filming the Gamecube in its plastic box.

35. Razor

How come you didn’t send yourself to E3 this year, Pat?

If I was the bossmas, I’d be sending myself :)

36. Len

Showing yr age… ;)

37. Fin

Oh ok, cool!

38. Len

At least there are now ppl at the centre, GT was funny yesterday with not a soul wandering around in the background all day (as obvuously it wasn’t open yet).

39. spiderLAW

Im hoping this is better than both Microsofts and Sony’s conference. Both of them were pretty boring. Although the Playstation Vita looks sooo0000ooooo good.

40. Blerk

Apparently Epic have ‘news’ for 6pm. I bet they’re going to announce that they’re doing the new Mario for Nintendo. Mario and Luigi will be buff motherfuckers with chainguns. Peach will be all tits and sass. Carnage all round.

41. HeavenlyGamer

@Moonwalker1982

I think a lot of it could be true, because the specs are not cutting edge. I mean, compared to the PS3 and X360 the are, but in terms of how far technology is today it does sound very realistic.. Let’s hope for the best!

@OlderGamer

I know Nintendo’s next console will do well, but I would love to see Nintendo compete with Sony and Microsoft on the same level.

@Kabby

You may be right about the spec’s looking outdated when MS and Sony announce their next console, but those will be released in 2013, if not later. Until then Nintendo will have the better looking games, the latest technology and people are always looking forward to new stuff no matter if they already now better stuff is coming out the next year. If you don’t believe me, look at Apple.

And don’t forget they could have MS and Sony by the balls IF they do it right. I think it’s very clever of them to act as if they don’t care about hardcore gaming anymore, and them announce a hardcore gaming console when the competition was thinking to own the hardcore gaming scene.

I love my PS3, but I’d also love to amazed by Nintendo games like Mario 64 back then.

42. Mike

I fucking hate GT. PR-driven, fake-interest hacks more concerned with raising their own profiles and raking in the ad money more than actually giving an opinion and asking a real question.

Everything “looks awesome/interesting/great.” They’re looking forward to every fucking game. I bet they don’t actually play any.

*hate*

43. Len

Who cares, they’ve got a good free stream…?

44. Dralen

gametrailers.com is rammed! I’m really struggling just to get onto the site.

45. Gekidami

Why is that guy pretending to translate when he obviously knows the speech off by heart, or he’s reading it?

And OMG! What are they doing?

46. Kabby

Works fine. You have bad internet!

47. Dralen

@46 Probably. I do live in the UK after all.

48. Gekidami

Wonder if this means Skyward Sword will be the first Zelda to not use MIDI music…

49. Mike

That is the biggest letdown ever. Utter fucking shit.

50. Lewis247

They just called it, the ‘wii u’

WHAT THE FUCK…. I really wanted to get rid of the whole wii image out my head and hope this would be something brand new.

Fuck I’m already pretty uninterested and this is what I was looking forward to from e3….

Oh well, I have halo 4 and that’s good enough.

51. Dralen

Wow this is booooooring.

52. barchetta

Peter Moore “New controller and console…..”

53. xino

Its over…Nintendo won!

i’m pumped for Wii u
    AMAZING!

Ninja Gaiden 3 coming to Wii u!

gamers won, Nintendo won, Wii u will win!

its over

54. KrazyKraut

what is it now? just a controller?? where is the “console unit?” they talked about “new controller…”

55. spiderLAW

i dont get it.
    1) Is the wii U controller the Wii U console?
    2) Does the Wii U controller come with a Wii U console that is different from the Wii console?
    3) Or do you need a Wii to have the Wii U controller to connect to?

56. El_MUERkO

57. OlderGamer

Loved it. I give em a B+ for the show.

I am not into the handhelds, so I focused on the new console.

I wanted details like price and launch date. I also want more details regaurding its online function.

I love the new controler. That looks to me like evolution of Dreamcasts VMU.

I am sure a lot of fanboys will be very dismisive. Thats ok. I see a lot of good things down the road for Nintendo.

58. RedBirdiii

@spiderLAW I’m with in this.. I didn’t get it as well..
    They didn’t clarify that at all..

59. Gekidami

So whats stopping Sony from stealing Nintendos thunder by having VITA do the same as their new pad? See, heres the thing; The PSP can already do remote play, if Sony put more effort into that they’ve effectively got the same thing.

60. Liamc723

I just don’t get it, is the Wii U using the Wii as A console? Because the Wii sure can’t put out HD graphics. :P

61. spiderLAW

@58 Im sure a lot of us are

@59 Exactly what im thinking. The only thing that has got me serperating the 2 is the drawing function on the Wii u

62. Gekidami

I assume theres a new box too, but seeing as its probably nothing special, they decided not to focus on it.

63. JGaLaXY815

@ 55 and 58, I’m assuming a Wii U controller will obviously come separately with a Wii U unit, the question is how much? that controller will definitely be at least 100$ The Wii U in backwards compatible with the Wii…while the Wii Uconsole is running, you can switch and play the game on your controller…

64. LOLshock94

this is better then GIANT ENEMY CRAB

65. LOLshock94

does anyone know if the zelda part was a CGI trailer or a proper game?

66. xino

you guys don’t understand.

the console exist and its powerful.
    the purpose of the controller is to act like an iPAD.

When you have a family and you want to play Ninja Gaiden 3, your daughter might moan that she wants to watch tv. So you allow her and you can continue playing NG3 via the controller screen.

this is amazing!
    Microsoft will quickly copy this sh*
    you can see they already copied Wii Home channel with their new dashboard:/

from the trailer it looks CG
    but from the image above,
    the trailer was actually real time.

amazing man!

67. LOLshock94

fucking hell thats well good