New Skyrim details: Injured Dragons can’t fly, much more

Friday, 3rd June 2011 09:08 GMT By Debabrata Nath

The Official Playstation Magazine is carrying a long feature on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim revealing a ton of new gameplay information.

We already know that encounters with dragons are completely unscripted and they appear at random in the gameworld, but we didn’t know injured dragons won’t be able to fly, allowing you to fight them on the ground.

There are some new Dragon Shouts mentioned the article – Yol Toor, Fire Breath, Iiz Slen, Ice Crystals, Strun Bah Qo, Lightning Storm, Slow Time and Whirlwind Spirit, which allows you to quickly move in one direction. Dragon Shouts are abilities learned throughout the game.

Some dual wielding combinations have also been revealed. You can also use torches as a combat weapon now. The combinations are:

• Weapon and weapon
  • Weapon and shield
  • Weapon and torch
  • Spell and weapon
  • Spell and spell
  • Two-handed weapon

Bethesda says in the article that the random quests generated by the game’s Radiant Story mechanic are inspired by the random encounters in Fallout 3. This was done because the developers didn’t like how “fake” some of the quests in Oblivion felt, and hope to make the ones in Skyrim feel more “real”.

You’ll be able to use 13 different types of ore for crafting. In a not so pleasant revelation, Bethesda has confirmed that Hand to Hand has been removed.

Three new factions are mentioned in the article (alongside the Dark Brotherhood), and the stories told in these faction questlines will be interwoven with one another, and with the main questline. The new factions are:

• The Thieves Guild
  • The College of Winter Hold (for Mages)
  • The Companions (for Warriors)

Each city in the world of Skyrim has an unique economy and can be sabotaged by the player, if they so desire. Guards still patrol the cities, however they aren’t the near-invincible killing machines they were in Oblivion. Bounties placed on players are no longer valid throughout the land: for instance, if you kill someone in Hold A, the guards in Hold B will not arrest you for it.

There are more than 60,000 lines of recorded dialog in the game, with a lot more voice actors than in Oblivion or Fallout 3.

You’ll be getting multiple travel options in Skyrim. The article confirms that horses are back, and actually handle like horses this time round. The fast-travel system from Morrowind is making a return, with carriages able to transport you to all the major settlements in Skyrim right from the start. Oblivion’s fast-travel is there as well, but only for locations you’ve already discovered.

There are some new screenshots in the article. These include a battle with a Draugr, a campsite near a river, a new type of fire spell, a female human character walking towards a city, a close-up of a female (possibly Imperial) warrior, a guard in Legionnaire armor and a bearded Nord in a castle, armed with a warhammer.

Thanks, Bethesda forums, via NeoGaf.

1. Erthazus

Please don’t fail and please don’t be like Oblivion.

It’s a great year for RPG. Please don’t dissapoint me.

2. unacomn

Please let it have an interface that won’t make me poke my eyes out with a fork.

3. viralshag

Sounds great and all but losing the option to uppercut a dragon is a shame.

4. OrbitMonkey

All i want is the chance to be a were-yeti, which sounds completely bonkers tbh :)

5. viralshag

I would hunt were-yeti’s for their fur and open up a clothing shop called Yeti-Wear…

6. Dralen

I’m curious to know if they will put vampires back in and if they will differ from the ones in Cyrodiil.

7. Telepathic.Geometry

Sounds like I’ll be needing time off work this winter…

Also, @viralshag: +2.

8. Pimpcup22

Let me correct his/ her incorrect info.
    There will be hand to hand combat, just not skill for it like in oblivion.
    You also left out
    Spell & Sheild
    Spell & Torch
    Torch & Sheild
    The Thieves Guild is not a new faction
    & lastly yhe close up of the female is a Nord it was confirmed by Bethesda
    Next time get your facts straight

9. pol0202

your wrong get the facts right they took away the hand to hand skill but you can still fight with your hands

10. CreeperTheScamp

Maybe hand to hand is included in one handed? I.e. torch in right hand, nothing in left, pulling left trigger will allow for a punch, thus gaining you one handed experience? Now keep in mind this is just an idea, im not really sure if that’s how it will work!

Love the idea of cooking and crafting, but don’t take it as far as fable, the gayest excuse for an rpg which I would spit in the face of if it had a face…

#1 I agree it is a great year and this elder scrolls title has been a long time coming… I just hope they gave the effort to make sure it blooms right.

Thank you Bethesda for all the elder scrolls titles besides redguard of course… made me want to end my life… and my opinion as a true fan of the series, make the new games with the enemy leveling system an updated version of morrowind’s please… by morrowind, I mean the random enemies, some dungeons much tougher than others so as to allow each character to learn “I can’t go there yet” and be able to set goals and strive to accomplish them. (For example make it past level 15 so that I can slay a winged twilight or golden saint in dwemer ruins of the ashlands….

Don’t mean to drone on, but the idea of a good TES game like morrowind with the enhanced graphics and quest system of skyrim and other cool thingies such as dynamic weather and dragons just makes me burst with excitement…. (I know, im a nerd when it comes to good games!)