Call of Duty vs Battlefield: Hirshberg, Intat go big over 2011 fight

Thursday, 2nd June 2011 10:14 GMT By Johnny Cullen

As the war heats up between Call of Duty and Battlefield over both series’ 2011 iterations, execs from both Activision and EA have talked big games for their camps.

Speaking to MCV, EA Europe boss Jens Uwe Intat told the trade site that in terms of Battlefield overthrowing Call of Duty to the FPS crown, it’s an inevitability.

When asked about it, he said: “Certainly. The only question is when that day will be. And for me, the sooner the better.”

Needless to say, DICE’s eggs are in the basket for 2011 for EA. But you should probably watch for more other than just Battlefield for the future, according to Intat.

“It’s our champion this year, yes. But it is true that we have a few more in the genre, so we will see how many different franchises we will continue with in that space.”

But in terms of competition, Activision’s only focusing on getting to the finish line rather then worry elsewhere.

“Well, I think EA might talk about our games in the press more than we do. So, the first thing I say to them is ‘Thanks for the assistance in building awareness,” CEO of Publishing, Eric Hirshberg, told MCV.

“But when you think about it, we’ve had tough competition every year for Call of Duty. It’s never been easy. This is one of the most competitive genres in one of the most competitive industries. Last year we had Halo: Reach and Medal of Honor, and it’s not like they weren’t amazing developers gunning for the top of this mountain either.

“And it’s the same this year – Gears of War is back along with lots of other games.”

He continues: “So, of course, we take all the competition really seriously. But at the end of the day I really mean it when I say we are focusing on the finish line, not the competition. We are making the best game we can, and are throwing every resource, innovation and all the creativity we can at it. And hopefully that will maintain our position.”

Battlefield 3 launches this fall for PS3, 360 and PC. Modern Warfare 3 releases on the same platforms on November 8.

1. Shonak

Yeah well, EA is obsessed with CoD.

2. Erthazus

Who gives a fuck about sales. Well i don’t.

3. nofear360

“We are making the best game we can, and are throwing every resource, innovation and all the creativity we can at it. And hopefully that will maintain our position.” LOL

I really hope Battlefield 3 manages to make a serious dent in MW 3′s sales. Only that can force them to innovate more.

4. viralshag

Personally, I don’t think BF3 will actually make a dent in the MW3 sales, I think it will be more down to people just being tired with the COD/MW formula.

I generally tend to buy both games because they both offer things I like. I am however seriously considering giving MW3 a miss as the run and gun isn’t as much fun as the open destructibility of BF.

I also ended up owning BF:BC2 on the PS3, 360 and PC by the end of last year. This year I will be sticking to PC for the sexy looks (hopefully they will have fully integrated Xbox controller support) and the 360 version because I kinda hate playing MP on the PC. :P

5. pukem0n

people like us and every game journalist can say Battlefield ist 1000 times better

still MW3 will sell loads more….sad indeed

6. noherczeg

Only matter of taste.

If one likes CoD he’ll buy it, play it, for 1 year.
    If one likes BF it’s the same for him/her.

Adverts modify formulas yeah, but not really much.

The only thing that matters to me is what the boss said:

“We are focusing on the finish line, not the competition. We are making the best game we can, and are throwing every resource, innovation and all the creativity we can at it.”

7. OlderGamer

CoD will continue to outsell everything else for a while. Its not about having a better, fresher, more inovating product. Its about giving people what they expect and think they want. Too many people go to the store to preorder/buy the new CoD games w/o even giving or even wanting to give anything else a try.

They think that is all there is to play and that is all they will play.

It is about a lot of things, but quality isn’t one of them.

And CoD isn’t out right bad. It is a well done game. People enjoy it.

The part that bothers me in the whole thing is that Acti is putting out too many CoD games. And EA is trying to promote every shooter they make as a CoD killer. Both of those things result in an oversaturated OMP FPS market.

This is how franchises get killed off, beit Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, and maybe someday CoD/BF.

8. DSB

I’ll be getting both as well. I don’t have high hopes for MW3, but based on MW2 I’m willing to give Infinity Ward the benefit of the doubt. BF3 can really only be better than BC2, especially with a lot more at stake this time, so that’s definitely worth checking out as well.

@4 I strongly doubt it with regards to controls. You don’t want to play a PC shooter with a gamepad. It might work in singleplayer, but online you don’t stand a chance :P

@7 It’s corporate catnip though. Fact is people are enjoying the games today – Nobody cares what they might think the day after tomorrow.

With these numbers, it’s full speed ahead.

9. G1GAHURTZ

What war?

There is no war!

BF is an ‘also ran’.

CoD is the champion.

Every year, we get the exact same crap from EA…

Blah, blah, blah, we’re better than CoD! The end is nigh for them! Our game is the best! We’re number one! etc, etc, etc…

Then we get a tiny minority, extremist bunch of CoD hating fanatics spouting crap in just about every CoD related story…

‘Yeah! It’s true! CoD will be finished! I hate Activision! They robbed the PC crowd! It’s the same game… No it’s worse! All CoD gamers are mindless sheep! Sales don’t matter! The charts don’t matter! [insert latest so-called 'CoD-killer' here] is the best game ever, and I will play it until my thumbs bleed! All my friends are leaving CoD! Blah, blah, blah… Blah, blah, blah…’

Then every single time, the exact same thing happens.

CoD smashes records and does what it does, while EA’s game fades into obscurity.

Then we start getting gibberish quotes about the next so-called ‘CoD-killer’ to be released next year, and the process repeats itself.

How boring…

10. OlderGamer

And alot of this is on the internet media too. They feed key people set up questions to pick up quotes here and there. And they put together a piece like this one. It says nothing new, adds nothing of value, but stirs up the fans and gets hits.

No ones fault really, just the nature of the beast.

11. Erthazus

@G1GAHURTZ, paranoia much?

– Sir, we can help you.

12. StolenGlory

@G1GAHURTZ

I enjoy both games, but prefer Battlefield because it suits my playstyle.

I would hardly call selling over 5 million copies fading into obscurity though; nowhere near CoD levels for sure, but not fading into obscurity.

At the end of the day i’m not telling you something you don’t already know by saying different people, different tastes and all that jazz.

13. viralshag

@ DSB,

That sounds like a challenge. A challenge I would be more than willing to participate in! :P

Hit me up on Steam, PS3, or Live if you want… Same tag for all: Peacefish

I was a console gamer before I became more of a PC gamer. Thumbs on sticks just comes more naturally to me than the mouse and keyboard. I have tried to get use to it for shooters but I just can’t get. I believe (in hope) that you can still be competitve on either, it’s just more down to what you’re use to.

It does annoy me that BF seems to be one of the only shooters on the PC that doesn’t even offer it.

14. DSB

@13 Sorry I do all my shootering on PC :P

There were tests done some way back (I don’t recall which game) that tried to integrate PC and console lobbies, but the console gamers were pretty consistently getting their asses handed to them.

More power to you for making the attempt, though.

15. viralshag

Chicken :D

Haha only kidding. I don’t believe those tests for a second!

16. OlderGamer

I am in the same boat as viralshag, I favor PC, but can’t control a fps game with KB/Mouse to save my life.

17. DrDamn

I have a personal preference for the BF series – BF2:MC was the first console shooter which really sucked me in to online gaming. I can see very much so why CoD is so popular though – and that’s because it’s a very good game which appeals to a broad range of people. As the iterations go by any change they make will hack off some and win over others – but a bit of series fatigue will start to settle in at some point.

From a BF perspective I think they need to evolve a little to really actively take market share away from CoD. More game modes and specifically some smaller game modes. They already have a couple of big differentiators in the vehicles and the destruction – they need to make some more in-roads into the variety CoD offers though.

18. blackdreamhunk

I like battle field better because I like vehicles.

19. StolenGlory

I agree. I’ve always thought at the end of the day that the primary reason why CoD does so well, is down to how accessible it is.

You don’t need a great team to go in and play and the game is extremely fast paced; two qualities that would appeal to a great deal of folk.

20. ManuOtaku

#19 look this gen was the first time i did play multiplayer games including FPS, i was a FPS singleplayer gamer, and thats precisely why i dont like call of duty that much is way two fast for me, i dont find it accessible at all,i dont understand why some people say this game is pretty accesible for newcomers, when for me it wasnt, i did find more accesible Battlefield BCII, also for me is more lifelike in reality you dont go that way into the battlefield (not pun intended), i mean running and gunning, and i did play most of the first person shooters of this gen in multiplayer and for me the better ones are BBCII and Halo reach.

The only call of duty game that i did enjoy and for me is the better of this gen is call of duty 2, i did like that game a lot, the rest (mw,mw2,blackops) are ok but i find them the same one after another, without any significant additions and/or innovations.

21. FadeLive

Battlefield >>>> Call of Duty

But it is true that EA talks about it a lot lol. Battlefield isn’t going to beat Call of Duty as far as sales go in any near future either I think. The COD user base is gigantic.

22. DrDamn

Accessible in terms of you can jump in to Free-for-all or TDM and you know what’s going on. Jump into BFBC2 or even classic conquest BF and it is a little confusing as to what the hell is going on. CoD games have also nailed the control scheme really nicely – aiming sensitivity, acceleration etc just feels natural. BF games aren’t bad per se but they don’t feel as tight as CoD.

23. Cozzy

I’ll definitely be getting BF3 over MW3, personally because I prefer the BF multiplayer. I’ll get MW3 eventually though.

24. JGaLaXY815

I’ve been playing multiplayer FPS since the beginning, used to be a PC gamer dedicating countless hours to Counter-Strike and that was amazing for its time, but MW2 came along and I still believe its the best FPS of all time multiplayer wise…With BLOPS i really feel they took a step backwards with shittier graphics, more places for punk ass campers to hide, etc…

COD still has the best control scheme but, if BF3 is offering the chance to blow up through walls where campers are hiding, delivering next-gen graphics, more fluidness with that FIFA engine… i’m not being biased but it cud be the next best thing, it has to match game modes of COD though, people love playing HQ, domincation, TDM, zombies even…ill hold my breath til E3, i expect all MP info to be leaked

PS…I CANNOT stand paying 30$ for maps after inital 60$ dollar games, Activision is out of their f***ing minds, call me cheap but thats why im really leaning toward BF3

25. DrDamn

FIFA engine? BF games since BFBC have used the Frostbite engine developed by DICE. BFBC = Frostbite 1.0, BF1943/BFBC2 = Frostbite 1.5 and BF3 = Frostbite 2. I’m guessing there is some collaboration between EA studios but BF is Frostbite.

26. DSB

I actually didn’t find MW2 all that accessible, but that was mostly down to the weird weapon screens, and the fact that everybody else was better than me.

I was absolute cannonfodder going in, and that was after playing Modern Warfare until the final unlock. It’s pretty much the only game where I’ve sucked so bad, but still kept playing until I got competitive.

You still see a lot of people whining about things like killstreaks in MW2, which to me would seem that they don’t really know how to counter or avoid them.

In terms of complexity, there are very few truly complex online shooters in my opinion. Vehicles may be a whole other discipline, but BC2 is hardly a sim. They’re all still hard to master, but that goes for any game.

27. FadeLive

They are using the FIFA animation engine and Frostbite for graphics in Battlefield 3.

28. polygem

if you love fps, and especially mp fps – both ip´s are a must. cod and bf are totally different. i enjoy them both. if i had to choose i´d pick bf i guess because to me it just makes online play feel more like a real battle… which is great. cod is a lot more competitive, arcadish…and that is great too. i´m addicted to this gameplay. i don´t know if bf will become a cod killer and i really don´t care. i just hope it will sell well so they make enough profit to continue the series.it will sell well. no need to worry here. cod/acti: awesome game but stop milking it too hard please. people will go gaming vegetarian if you don´t tread your cow well…and they will start to hate the farmer.