Infographic: World of Warcraft by the numbers

Wednesday, 1st June 2011 23:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

This World of Warcraft infographic does more than throw staggering numbers at you – although it does plenty of that.

Apparently originating on the Video Games Design Colleges website, the infographic shows loving attention to detail, even detailing first kills by region and highlighting top guilds.

See it in all its glory below, or for an even larger version, visit it at home.

Thanks, RipTen.

1. Heinekeno

And there is more!

Obama has switched to Witcher 2, which is offline RPG!

2. ExOAte

These are some pretty interesting numbers =) mostlikely because they were largely unknown by the bigger public (until now I guess).

Got scared most by the server upkeep :P

3. Dralen

$136,986 upkeep cost PER DAY. DAAAAAMMMN!! That’s alot of cost. Now I see why we pay our subscription.

4. endgame

136986 upkeep/day. this means the game can continue running with only 283104 players paying 15 dollars/month. so the rest of 11216895 r filling kotick’s pockets with gold. human stupidity at it’s finest!

anyway, I stand corrected. I thought that u need about 3.5 dollars/player/month to keep the game running. well, looks like u only need 2.7..

5. Gurdil

@4 you know there’s more than the upkeep to pay for, right? like Game Masters, further developments (expansions, patches, etc…), marketing and so on… Of course they’re making money out of it but that’s business, how can you blame them for that? I’m sorry but your comment is rather stupid…

6. endgame

and u know they r also selling every expansion right? which covers the costs of the development, marketing and so on. why do u ppl have to be such idiots!? seriously! for once can u PLEASE come at me with something intelligent?

7. Gurdil

Right, cause players pay for the expansions before they’re out… -_-’ You gotta pay the development teams while they’re working, not after the game (or expansion) is out. Yes, I know, they could do credits and all, I know how business works (I’m not saying I’m an expert but I know enough) but bare in mind that their goal is to make a certain amount of profit and credits mean more expensive development. Therefore, if they did that, they’d simply sell their games for more and that’s it.
    Plus WoW marketing isn’t only for new expansions, they do it all year long. Look I’m not saying they’re angels, cause they obviously aren’t, but they’re just doing business and I think WoW players have a game and services attached to it that are worth their money. Blizzard’s at fault on plenty on things like the shitty and very expensive downloadable pets and mounts or the choices they made since WotLK (ie dumbing the game down), but this subscription fee (that I found shocking at first too) is really not that much. Could they do it cheaper? Sure! Is it too expensive? Ask people and you’ll have your answer.
    I tried some MMOs myself and so far WoW is the one I feel has the most RoI. Now I don’t know if that answer is intelligent enough for you but look at all your possessions and name even one that couldn’t be cheaper, one that no one makes benefits on. Well, maybe you’ll come up with something you bought to someone you know but I’m talking “mainstream” stuff. Like games, or iPods, or smartphones, or even basic things like furniture or even food…
    PS: If you read the whole thing, thanks cause I think my answer is quite long :s