Rockstar Pass goes live, future LA Noire DLC detailed

Tuesday, 31st May 2011 11:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Rockstar’s quietly launched the Rockstar Pass onto Xbox Live Marketplace, but has dropped more details on it and upcoming DLC for the Team Bondi thriller as promised.

The pass, which will feature access to all of the case missions and suits that were available as part of pre-order incentives for retailers in the US and UK when they become available, comes in at 108Kb. It’s all yours for 800 MS points for a limited time only.

We assume it’ll arrive on PS3 when the PS Store returns. When it does launch on PS Store, it’ll be for $10.

After the launch period, the price will go up to $12/960 MS points.

When purchased, it’ll allow users to download the DLC for free in comparison to downloading them separately. All pre-order DLC, such as the two cases – The Naked City and A Slip of the Tounge – as well as the Badge Pursuit Challenge, the Broderick detective suit, Sharpshooter suit and the Chicago Piano Machine gun – the latter being a thank you for Rockstar Social Club members – are all available today.

The cases without the points will cost $4,00/320 MS points, while the Badge Pursuit Challenge and the suits will cost $2/160 MS points and $1/80 MS points respectively.

The Nicholson Electroplating, previously revealed through a US retailer leaflet, will launch on June 21. A new Vice case, known as Reefer Madness, will launch on July 12. Both cases will arrive at $4/320 MS points without the pass.

“With its blend of real crime influences and noir atmosphere, L.A. Noire contains boundless potential for new stories and new cases,” said Rockstar boss Sam Houser.

“The four new cases are strong standalone stories that sit perfectly alongside the main game.”

You can get the Rockstar Pass here.

1. freedoms_stain

Disc unlock.

They’re not even trying to make shit smell like anything other than stuff pulled from the game now, eh?

2. Blerk

The whole L.A. Noire pre-order stuff has been a complete debacle, and this is just the icing on the cake. This is the kind of shit you expect from Activision rather than Rockstar.

3. freedoms_stain

Wow, I just noticed the price, so that’s what? ~£6 (depending on what you paid for your points) for a disc unlock? That is seriously taking the piss.

4. Tamo123

I was actually going to buy this game. Now I can safely say I’m not. DLC is wrong in it’s current form, there should be rules to stop this kind of shit.

5. asphaltcowboy

Is it a disc unlock though? The description on xbox.com says “Individual items will become available to download when released” so maybe you should actually check before casting your judgement down from on high?

6. AHA-Lambda

well this is pretty BS -_-

btw the site mrntions a new DLC called the “Reefer Madness” Vice Case

ACtually reading throught the list there are still some pre order items not available like the chicago piano gun =/

7. Tamo123

Even if it wasn’t a disk unlock, they can still suck my balls.

DLC should be released months after the game is released, not days/weeks. It really pisses me off that a week or two before the game is set to release DLC is already in the works. My answer is “why isn’t it included on the disk?”

It takes the piss.

8. Blerk

They haven’t done a particularly good job of telling us what it is, for sure. 800 points is expensive for just the pre-order DLC, but if it includes more stuff in the future then it might actually be worth the money. Trouble is, we’ve no way of knowing what that stuff will be, if it’s anything at all.

9. Spokker

It is not a disc unlock. Once you purchase the pass, you then download the extra cases, which are 200-400 MB.

10. Spokker

“They haven’t done a particularly good job of telling us what it is, for sure.”

They listed everything that the Rockstar Pass provides.

“The L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass includes all the following: The Broderick Detective Suit, The Sharpshooter Detective Suit, The Badge Pursuit Challenge & Button Man Suit, “The Naked City” Vice Case, “A Slip Of The Tongue” Traffic Case, “Nicholson Electroplating” Arson Case and “Reefer Madness” Vice Case. Individual items will become available to download when released.”

You get four cases, some suits and stuff to collect. The Nicholson Electroplating case will be released in June and Reefer Madness in July. Individually, the cases appear to be $4.

11. asphaltcowboy

@7 People complained that there was pre-order DLC deals and that they wouldn’t be able to get them without purchasing from a specific retailer, so then they make them ALL available for everyone for a price and still people complain? I guess they could have just not bothered and no one would have access to any of it?

4 additional cases (plus the other bits and bobs) for £6? It’s hardly extortion!

12. Blerk

So does the ‘pass’ include the two DLCs to come, or are they bought separately?

13. AHA-Lambda

“Individually, the cases appear to be $4.”

Woah wait a minute! Dowe need to pay for the pass AND the case seperately?? wtf?

14. DrDamn

What does it matter whether it’s on the disc? What does it matter when it’s developed and released?

Make the purchase decision based on what they offer on the disc at time of purchase. Is it good value or not? Make the DLC purchase based on the same judgement.

It matters not one jot when it is developed – it still costs the dev/publisher money to make it doesn’t it? Why do you feel entitled to everything they have developed by time of release? They could have shifted those developers on to other projects and this wouldn’t be available – and that you would be happy about. But by not shifting these people on to other work and using their time to produce more content for LA Noire somehow that’s stuff you feel you should be entitled to for free? Why? It makes no sense.

15. asphaltcowboy

@Blerk, did you read Spokker’s post?

@13 No. If you buy the pass you get access to all the cases.

@DrDamn Well said!

16. Blerk

No, he means you can buy them individually for $4 each or you can get them all bundled at once by buying the pass.

17. strikkebil

are they separate from the story? cos i finished the game already…

18. AHA-Lambda

@14 – i kinda agree, i admit i can feelc heated at times by dlc released too soon to a game BUT this is still better than day one dlc and it still allows people to enjoy the dlc when the game is fresh in people’s minds.

The other scenario is cases like the GTA episodes or for me personally castlevania dlc when they release them just too far away from the games release that no one cares anymore =s

19. Spokker

It’s up to the individual to decide what they value a product. Considering the sheer amount of work that goes into the facial animation, the voice acting and the script, the Rockstar Pass basically comes to about $2.50 per case. If we consider only the cases in LA Noire from the traffic desk and up (patrol was basically a tutorial), the main game cases were about $3.50 per case. This is assuming the DLC cases are as robust as the average case in the main game.

I felt that LA Noire was a full and robust game and the DLC offered so soon after release date does not bother me in this instance. This sort of thing is best judged on a case by case basis, and Lord knows a lot of publishers and developers have abused the DLC concept quite a bit.

20. Blerk

@15, yes, but it’s still not clear. Do you get four now and two later, or four’s your lot and you have to buy the other two separately later?

I don’t even have the game yet. :-|

21. Fin

I think with the Rockstar pass you get the two DLC cases now, and the other two when they come out (200msp per case; +preorder weapons). Else, you can buy them all individually (320msp per case, weapons extra).

22. djjoejoe

So the naming suggests either this is the way they will continue to release/label pre-order bonuses in the future. Question is does this purchase buy you access to future dlc, for la noire, for other titles, or just these currently available ones.

Hopefully rockstar will actually say what they are intending from this soon.

EDIT: Ah yes, I just glanced over and didn’t see the names of the other DLCs in that. Looks good then and I’ll purchase it when I transfer some funds over, and when I feel like stepping back into the game. I already played Naked City but haven’t finished the collectible stuff so those other DLCs might help bring me back into finishing it for good. :)

23. Spokker

Blerk, it’s very clear. When Nicholson Electroplating and Reefer Madness are released in June and July, you’ll be able to download them immediately if you have the Rockstar Pass.

The Rockstar Pass is simply a “key” similar to the Cerebus Network that allows access to participating DLC.

I would expect to be charged for anything after Reefer Madness, however.

24. Spokker

“Question is does this purchase buy you access to future dlc, for la noire, for other titles, or just these currently available ones.”

I would consider the Rockstar Pass only under the assumption that you get exactly what is listed in the description.

25. asphaltcowboy

@Blerk 4 now and 2 later? Where are you getting 6 cases from? From the description, I understand it as 2 now (the already available pre-order ones) plus 2 new ones (“Nicholson Electroplating” and “Reefer Madness”) later.

26. Blerk

Ah yes, a bit of a facepalm moment there on re-reading. I’d presumed the four cases listed were already out and that the tagged on the end were ‘to come’. Didn’t notice that the two at the end were also part of the initial list. :-D

The difference between this one and the Cerberus Network pass is that EA provided that key for free to people who bought the game new. I’d kind of surmised that that was what was happening with this one too, but apparently that’s not the case.

27. Spokker

The Cerberus Network also did not include a lot of the more complex and robust DLC that came out later on.

28. Fin

|that’s not the case.

Nice pun!

29. asphaltcowboy

Good of Johnny to make the original article title as flame-baiting as possible though ;)

30. Blerk

Well, that’s true – although it did bundle a decent amount of free content to begin with.

I still think they haven’t done a particularly good job of promoting or describing this – it’s launched before the official reveal for a start. It also appears to be somewhat bizarrely-named – ‘online pass’ seems at sorts with what it is, it’s more of a DLC value-bundle.

31. Spokker

“‘online pass’ seems at sorts with what it is, it’s more of a DLC value-bundle.”

This is very true. But as a consumer you must be able to read through marketing BS in order to make rational decisions on what to spend your hard-earned money on.

This “pass” enables you to access the content listed. Their contract to supply you with DLC ends after Reefer Madness, and the pass itself is then worthless going forward.

As someone who is cautious about the way the industry is headed with regards to DLC, this Rockstar “Pass” isn’t a terrible deal. I’m weary of wrongheaded efforts to nerf games in an attempt to combat piracy or used games sales or release overpriced DLC at the expense of the released title, but I don’t feel that this is what’s going on here.

32. Johnny Cullen

I’ve fixed the text about. I didn’t get time to fix it earlier because of writing other things.

33. Johnny Cullen

And on that note, Rockstar’s literally just press-released it. Details inbound.

34. Johnny Cullen

There we go. All added with a smile and quote from Sam Houser.

35. AHA-Lambda

suddenyl i am really missing the PS Store. I am really enjoying LA Noire so i want more of it. Bloody sick of this shit now *sigh*

36. BloodyJoe

*deleted as spoiler*

37. AHA-Lambda

@36 thanks for the spoilers YA FUCKING IDIOT!!! >:(

Isn’t spoling a games ending worth a ban now? I’m pissed! *fumes*

38. viralshag

DON’T LOOK! SPOILERS!

Although I kinda agree.

39. Whizzo

Someone please delete post 36 before too many people get spoiled.

40. Patrick Garratt

I’ve deleted it. BloodyJoe, there are no spoilers in these threads. Do it again and you’re banned for a month. Anything like that must be posted in the forum and specifically marked as a spoiler.

41. BraveArse

Well done Pat, I’m grateful I didn’t read this until now or I might have had what is turning into a compelling story ruined for me.

I’m actually tempted by the pass, I’ve given up fighting the big fight and have accepted that DLC is pretty much here to stay. As long as it’s substantial and adds something to the game I have no issues with it anymore. Borderlands pretty much sold me on DLC tbh.

42. AHA-Lambda

oh apparently this ALL of the dlc planned

Oh well, cant complain about value then. Getting everything for less than £7 after all =)

EDIT: actually has there still been no news on the UK getting the consul’s car DLC yet? I’m getting sick of this -_-

43. frostquake

With Rockstar, you will eventually get all the DLC on a Disc, and eventually that Disc will be super Cheap…so if you don’t want to pay and vote with your money on the DLC day one, then save your money and vote with it, to have all the DLC cheap on one Disc.

Edit* I will say this, I don’t like the way this “Pass” is going, but I am very VERY afraid all Developers/Publishers are going to go this way, Though you as a Consumer, really do have the Final Say, if it works! Your Money is a Vote, so if you don’t buy it, you vote NO, if you do buy it, then you are voting YES, simple as that.

Sadly, I think there are too many ppl out there who just don’t care and will buy this “Pass” no matter what, so I think it is a loosing battle, but would love to be proved wrong!

44. Gekidami

This really is pointless, i guess the DLC cases are good, but the outfits are useless. They dont really offer any real advantage (at least none that you’ll really need) and the game insists on randomly switching to the default outfit from time to time. Also, once you’ve beat the game these outfits serve no purpose whatsoever in Free roam.