Hackers: “This is the beginning of the end for Sony”

Tuesday, 31st May 2011 03:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A hacker group has threatened imminent and drastic action against Sony – when it finishes with PBS.

Lulzsec, the group claiming responsibility for yesterday’s Tupac-is-alive PBS hack as well as an attack on Sony BMG Japan last week, has dropped several dark hints that it’s plotting a major operation against Sony.

“We’re working on another Sony operation. We’ve condensed all our excited tweets into this one: this is the beginning of the end for Sony”, the group tweeted late last week.

“Our #Sonage (Sony + ownage) is going at maximum speed, there’s a lot to do”, it added later, clarifying early yesterday that it expected to begin the first phase of the attack within a day.

Missing its own deadline, the group admitted to becoming distracted by the PBS hack – during which it posted lists of passwords, usernames, and other administrative details apparently harvested from the US-based network.

“Sony happens when Sony happens – we’re celebrating our victory right now. The fun will never stop!” the most recent statement on the matter reads.

Lulzsec has not been implicated on the mid-April attack on the PlayStation Network, which continues to affect gamers.

Sony’s legal action against PlayStation 3 root key hacker GeoHot among other hackers has raised ire among the hacking and homebrew communities, following on from the company’s decision to scotch the PS3′s OtherOS feature.

Thanks, 1UP.

1. Dralen

Wow! These guys are crazy.

2. LOLshock94

whoooooo we love you hackerz

3. Talyis

I really hope this is all bull, we all know you can’t stop hackers sadly! Dumb asses will still blame Sony for bad security when they need to realize if hackers try hard enough they can get through any system, heck the pentagon even get’s hacked and top secret info gets out! There just out to ruin gamers, I really wish I could hack good I’d help out Sony. Well hopefully there ready to catch the hackers this time.

4. LOLshock94

when was the last info hacked from the pentagon?

5. Christopher Jack

@4, Quite the ignorant person aren’t you? Ever heard of a little old site called Wikileaks?

Nothing good can possibly happen from these attacks, no one but fools support their cause, us legit consumers suffer the most from all of this bullshit.

“Little guy interferes with a company>Company sues the little guy” This is completely normal & Sony is one of the smaller perpetrators of this. The one & only difference between this case & every other single one is the publicity GeoHot has received, now he’s got an entire army of anti-Sony zombies following his PERSONAL regime.

Unfortunately, many of these ignorant zombies are also quite talented at hacking & such.

6. KingCancer

corporations have too much power. pride comes before a fall.

7. Talyis

Why blame a corporate company for protecting there investment against a person like geohot, it’s sad people think he is in the right it just shows how low some people will go for fame! Sony is in the right.

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I hope this is either a joke or an empty threat.

I just want to play my PS3 online with the store like normal and be able to buy shit like before.

Leave Sony alone and leave us alone hackers. Seriously.

9. Christopher Jack

@6, Do you recommend that such power goes to small groups that dictate the goodwill of others? If anybody wants to blame anyone, blame the government, not the company. If enough people step up, they’ll be forced to listen but America’s political system is the only one designed to benefit the large corporations.

10. ultramega

What the fuck. PBS is a great network, run only by public support (as far as I know). The hell is wrong with these uneducated twats.

11. Dannybuoy

Seriously, these idiots need to put their efforts into something more practical to the human race. They need to get over their childish grudges and do something else. Boring

12. NightCrawler1970

@4, was at Apr 21, 2009, see link http://www.switched.com/2009/04/21/300-billion-pentagon-project-hacked-data-compromised-again/

13. e13

Sony better suck it up and apologise to whomever if they want this to stop.

14. Christopher Jack

@13, They didn’t do anything wrong to any of these hackers.

15. PS3Dreamer

I wish I had billions of dollars so i can hired HITMAN to track this guys down and kill them all for SONY, fuck them HACKERS.

16. Hybridpsycho

Fuck them, really. Just quit it faggots.

17. frostquake

Well I guess I shouldn’t leave my Dodge Viper parked in my Drive-Way, because I am just Begging Someone to come onto my property and to Break into it and steal all my stuff.

Oh and if I leave it in my Garage, I better Tint My Windows so nobody can come on my property and look into my Garage windows, because if I don’t tint my Garage Windows I am just asking someone to come onto my property and to break into my Garage and then Break into my Car!!

Oh and I better not tell anyone at work that I have Dodge Viper and that it is a sweet ride and that it came loaded with everything, because then I am inviting someone to come to my house, come onto my property, break into my garage, and break into my car!

Oh and then When someone steals all my stuff and then comes on TV flaunting all the stuff they stole from, then I should feel sorry for them because I really was asking for it, Oh, but Don’t worry, I won’t be able to apologize because you hide behind masks and fake names. Oh and then you say you stole all my Stuff to help Other Little People who can’t have a Dodge Viper, but then when the Camera’s are off, you just turn around into a Dark Alley and sell all my Stuff to someone in China..who are looking for “Launch Codes?”

Dodge Viper=PS3 or insert whatever car you like!!

Hackers SUCK!! You will forever be Judas in my Book!!!

18. neon6

As it stands, it’s still FBI/Homeland Security/Sony’s new security company versus a bunch of neckbeards. I want to see who spills blood first.

19. Blerk

Give it a rest now, hackers. You’re getting rather dull.

20. KingCancer

@9 vs larger groups dictating to the individual based on profit and corruption? yes.

21. DSB

Thing is, hackers aren’t achieving any sort of goal, beyond griefing their victims. It’s petty harassment, and in no way guerilla warfare.

They are hardly a few brave souls arming themselves ready to die, they’re just a few antisocial outcasts sitting behind a computer screen having fun, trying to intimidate everybody like they have a serious bullying complex somewhere in their past, and the worst thing that’s ever going to happen to them is fines and incarceration.

If you’re actually trying to enlighten or change the world, then I applaud that, but that’s a far cry from what hackers are doing.

No one cares about yours or anyone elses feelings towards corporations or politicians. The equipment used by these hackers to cause mischief are made by corporations, their connections are a direct result of corporations. You accept them in your lives every day. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, sell your PC and start a sustainable farm and live in the woods, and stop enjoying their services. Until then you’re really just a pathetic hypocrite.

22. Christopher Jack

@20, Blame America’s political system for that. At least the little guy has some power in other countries if they’re in the right but these guys think that they’re above the law, they attack those who disagree with their views rather than legally fight for their rights. The only difference between them & other terrorists groups, like al-Queda, is that at least they don’t get physical.

23. ruckus

Hackers aren’t terrorists, don’t be silly.
    ‘They’ seem to be trolling you pretty well though.

24. mightyhokie

ruckus,
    they are not terrorists in the sense that they are doing this against a non-military entity. Once they start messing with a nations national defense they are terrorists.

there is only one way to stop this crap: use international laws and send them to prison for the rest of their life. Send a few of these pieces of shit to prison for, say, 40 years, and the rest will realize that maybe the ‘fun’ isn’t worth the risk.

25. KingCancer

@23 maybe they should be, of course, if the ante is raised so may the retaliation. lord knows we could use a “villain” with some vision.

26. OrbitMonkey

Lol, a few people here getting all happy cuz these hackers target evil old Sony :D Can’t wait to see the tears of rage when these hackers get bored & decide to target another platform in their little game of one-up-manship ;)

27. NeoSquall

Here’s my “dark hint” to the group:

We don’t care about your “fun”, just fuck off.
    Fuck off, little hipsters, or I’ll cut your atrophied balls and put them in your disc trays.

28. Razor

So, I guess this is the end.

Goodbye Sony….and take your proprietary peripheral bullshit with you :)

29. Christopher Jack

Some people seem to not understand the meaning of terrorist, a terrorist doesn’t have to be a gun wielding, suicidal maniac, could be as simple as a schoolyard bully. A terrorist is somebody who bullies others to achieve their own goal(s).
    My point earlier is like comparing a 2ft wave to a tsunami, they’re both still waves nevertheless.

30. ruckus

Take your schoolyard bully and try to subject him to anti-terrorism legislation. Good luck with that.

31. DSB

People are going pretty far off the reservation here.

Hacking someone has nothing to do with terrorism. Terrorism at least implies inflicting real terror upon someone, which no hacker is able to do to any corporation, because a corporation doesn’t have feelings, and its reactions are going to be of a functional nature, to maintain their business. PBS aren’t going to change their editorial line, and Sony aren’t going to change a thing, they’re simply going to work on fixing their networks, and call legal.

It’s not going to define their actions in any way, like say, luring a western army onto your home turf, by murdering their civilians in an extremely public way.

32. Christopher Jack

@30, There’s obviously different scales, wasn’t my wave metaphor good enough? No point about arguing about it’s definition here, politicians already have a hard enough problem doing so themselves.

@31, That’s been my entire point about how pointless their attacks have been, they’re just frustrating Sony’s consumers in the attempt to scare Sony into following their demands, Sony won’t listen & we’ll continue to be annoyed.

33. minxamo

Why.

34. DSB

@32 You’re certainly right that most lawmakers have no clue, but it still doesn’t fit the bill.

A terrorist organisation like Al Qaeda had extremely clear objectives for doing what they did – They’ve essentially managed to kill 3000 people, and subsequently managed to contribute to the deaths of 7000 of the troops who were deployed to their region of influence as a direct result. The Irish Republican Army tended to step up their bombing campaigns every time the British slowed down negotiations over Northern Ireland.

What you have here is a purported statement of intent, but these hackers know that they achieve absolutely nothing, in the same way a vandal smashing a McDonalds isn’t under the illusion that it’ll bring the corporation to its knees. It’s selfindulgent mischief, not terrorism.

Furthermore, there’s a huge difference between a tsunami and a wave in every way, from the way they form to the way they react. Size definitely does matter. And there’s nothing intimidating about bringing down PSN. It’s a seemingly quite vulnerable gaming network getting hit, not someones family being slaughtered with cameras rolling. It causes a lot of inconvenience to people, for 1,5 months, but that’s it. It doesn’t fit the description.

35. Christopher Jack

@32, Just look back at some of the opsony crap, they had clear reasons for their motives but they were far from justifiable.

“there’s a huge difference between a tsunami and a wave in every way” Bottom line, they’re both walls of water, obviously there’s a huge difference between how they form & such.

36. DrDamn

Kind of agree with DSB. I’d go with Cyberterrorist but not terrorist. Which has milder connotations to the flat term terrorist.

37. DSB

@35 Yeah, just like the anarchists say they’re going to bring about the revolution by throwing cobblestones at police.

They aren’t capable of doing it, and they know it.

These guys managed to exploit the fact that PSN was an easy target, but it still won’t mean a thing to Sony, beyond the temporary embaressment, and these guys know it. It’s just fun for them.

Compared to your international terrorist, who lives and breathes his purpose until he’s killed or captured, that’s simply children at play.

38. Christopher Jack

@36, My whole point has been the bottom line, some people just love going into details, like those who try to prove a difference between geek & nerd =\
    Darn nitpickers won’t leave well enough alone ;)

39. DSB

@38 Geek is an old term for circus freak, and nerd means someone who’s infinitely passionate about a particular subjectmatter.

They’re identical to the ordinary language-user today, but they actually have completely different backgrounds.

Research!

40. TheWulf

I pretty much said that it’s just a bunch of idiots behind attacks like these, generally script kiddies, or fraudsters in for a fun ride, or low-end black hat types.

What’s going to be interesting to see is whether they actually succeed or not.

Other than that, I predict a lot of chicken littles/lickens (whichever you prefer) running around screaming and panicking about how the sky is falling, ragnarok, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria and all that.

If Sony’s security is sufficient, they will endure.

Let’s see what happens.

Not every statement of a hack attempt actually turns into a hack success, which is what some seem to be fallaciously purporting here.

Footnote: Seriously, some folks need to stop romanticising black hat hacking though. Really. That just screams ‘luddite’ to me, or ‘rebel without a clue,’ essentially. Someone who’s going off like a rogue bullet without any real idea why. Hacking is awesome, hackers tend to do a lot of neat stuff, but black hat hacking is mostly just a bunch of script kiddies seeing whom they can f*** up for their ‘lulz.’

Like I mentioned once before, black hat hacking has been romanticised to the point where we even saw someone concoct a conspiracy theory about how the ghost of the recently dead Osama was conducting a Middle-Eastern cell of Anonymous super-elite cyber attackers, or somesuch. It’s just… ridiculous. It’s either someone looking for a quick buck or people looking to see whom they can screw up.

These aren’t the most competent people in the world. Stop romanticising tem. If Sony’s security is sufficient, they’ll endure. If it isn’t then they won’t. End of story.

41. Mystic Sage

@15 Amen to that lol

42. osric90

I would like to see these guys faces when they’re captured as GeoHot.

43. dubya75

But WHY? Why are they doing this? What is the motivation?
    This may not be terrorism in the traditional sense, but since they are terrorising millions of people I would say this classifies them as terrorists.
    These are clearly a bunch of sad individuals. I hope they get caught and rot in jail!

44. Christopher Jack

@39, You kind of proved my point :P

@40, You seem to underestimate the potential of some of these ‘script kiddies’ that do it all for the lulz. As much as I hate them, I can’t deny that many of them are extremely talented but they’re also painfully ignorant.