Sony announces PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset

Friday, 27th May 2011 17:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has announced an official wireless headset for PS3.

The official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset will be available for $99.99 at retailers nationwide this September and features 7.1 virtual surround sound, and comes with a USB Wireless Adapter for your console.

It also has “precise volume controls and an accessible microphone mute,” so that you no longer have to “fumble for buttons.” It also has an on-screen headset status update for your battery life.

The mic is retractable so you can put it away if you just want to listen to music or play a single-player game.

Check it out on the US PS Blog.

1. Kyzzz

Hmm…interesting.

2. rrw

i love sony head phone and head set. especially PS official one. bleutooh head set work like a charm

3. w0nder2010

Excellent. Now I can listen in stero to Sony’s
    announcement that the PSN store will not come
    back online for another year.

4. OrbitMonkey

Defo interested in this, i like my turtle beech, but it’d be nice to go wireless ;)

5. reask

Now that sounds nice actually.
    I wouldn’t mind checking these out as Sony do pretty good audio stuff.

6. Telepathic.Geometry

Will it work for movies as well? I was just today telling my brother that I need to get me some surround sound speakers, and this appears? It’s like fate that I get those speakers.

7. Lloytron

Looks kinda nice but is there any way to plug it in to anything else? $99 for headphones is pretty pricey if they can’t be plugged into anything else

8. pukem0n

will it have a brain transmitter to get your credit card numbers even easier?

9. Cygnar

This sounds like it could be nice. The USB adapter is kind of a drag, but the sound quality will undoubtedly be better than what is possible with Bluetooth. I’ll wait for a review or two before I bite, but since my PS3 is now hooked up to my PC monitor (which has no speakers), I could use a good pair of headphones.

10. Big_Boss

For $100 this is probably gonna be good for players wanting cheaper surround sound headset for their PS3. I doubt it will be as good as the Tritton surround sound headset, both in terms of sound quality, and versatility. So I’ll stick to my Tritton but I’m sure it will do fine for most people.

11. NoxNoctisUmbra

I know what i’m getting. I love Sony PS team cares about good sound. First the sound bar now this. A lot of HD TV owners do not have separate speakers, for me Sound is 1/3 of a game.
    I myself have a 7.1 (5.1) surround sound. Each game sounds 10 times better then coming though TV speakers. I was just looking at surround sound headsets but some are just too damn pricey. I need something for the night so I wont wake up everyone blasting my surround system. So I can’t wait for this to hit the market. 99 bucks aint bad compared to competition, even tho some 250 dollar competion can sound better, this is SONY, sony speakers and headsets are really great too for cheaper. They know what they are doing and I bet it wont be a cheap knockoff.

12. polygem

that´s pretty cool. i wondered why they didn´t come up with it earlier. sony is a hardware company…i´d love to see a 360 official ms headset as well, but that wont happen i guess. i just prefer the 360 design. it´s more gamingish, less techy coolish – and i like that. i had the astros with mixamp and they worked fine. i sold it though. now i have an amp connected to my 360 and wired phones on it. as a headset for communication i use a throat mic. this is the perfect setup for me. i love it. what i hate though is all this wireless stuff. i´m an oldskool guy. i like wires. for my controllers and for my headphones. i don´t play on the couch but with a desktop/ big monitor setup so wires are no issue at all. anyway what am iwriting here. who cares anyway. new gearoptions are always good so thumps up sony.

13. freedoms_stain

Elegant solution.

Wireless solutions for the xbox are less so. Headsets in general actually thanks to Microsofts retarded decision not to support USB audio devices.

14. KAP

I bought a pair of sennheiser HDR170 a year ago for £150 which are great but after seeing these i think i might sell them to pay for these official PS ones plus there 7.1 surround sound so bonus.

15. TD_Monstrous69

Probably would get it if I didn’t have my TurtleBeach headset already.

16. davidthecornman

Sick shit. Gotta get these since my turtlebeaches for my xbox dont work on my ps3.

17. Aman27deep

I very well might buy these, if these have PC support too that’d be fucking awesome!

18. Bluebird

Will it work for movies as well?

Says on the product page that it won’t work with BD movies

19. Telepathic.Geometry