Sony: Work on “future platform” is “already underway”

Thursday, 26th May 2011 17:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has said work is”already under way” on a “future platform,” despite Kaz Hirai stating a few months back the firm hadn’t even started discussing a successor to PS3.

Speaking during call to investors this morning, Sony’s VP and CFO Masaru Kato made the comment regarding the next platform when asked to explain the increased research and development costs noted in Sony’s latest financial report.

“For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life,” he said, “but this is a platform business, so for the future platform – when we’ll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that – but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there.”

Back in February, Sony boss Kaz Hirai said “a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now,” because Sony was still “concentrating fully upon the PS3,” and the upcoming NGP.

However, most console makers are always looking at what to do with its next console, so while it is no surprise that Sony has something going on in the back of the shop, it is a bit surprising for it to admit it this soon. Might have something to do with Project Cafe’s reveal at E3 next month – might not.

However, Kato also said the losses the firm has reported over the last few years can be attributed to a difference in cost and sales price for PS3 system – and this is something the firm does not plan to let happen with the next console, especially when it spent billions creating its own superconductor center.

The CFO went on to say that since the semiconductor business is changing: “It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3.”

The R&D division reported an 0.4 percent increase in sales to 1,579,300 million yen compared to a loss last year, after the firm implemented hardware cost reductions for PS3 while increasing the consoles software sales.

For the year, Sony shipped14.3 million PS3  units, 8 million PSPs  and 2.64 million PS2 systems.

PS3 shipped 147,900,000 units of software, PSP 46,600,000 and PS2 shipped 16,400,000 for PS2.

For its current fiscal year, the firm expects to ship 15 million PS3s, 6 million PSPs and 4 million PS2 consoles.

Thanks:  Eurogamer, Andriasang, Miladesn.

1. Yoshi

Isn’t that slightly obvious? They will always have people looking at what can come next.

2. Stephany Nunneley

Yeah. I said that.

3. Erthazus

999 US DOLLARS
    Ridge racer
    NO GAMEZ
    SUPER CELL 64 BIT MICROPROCESSOR
    Giant enemy crab
    Massive damage

Can’t wait.

4. wishdokta

Yup, obviously obvious.
    Will re-read in 2014.

5. monu-mental

Erthazus, what are you? On a PC all day spreading vile against Sony? Your comments turn me away. They are disgusting.

6. Erthazus

@5, relax, i’m just joking. It’s called Sarcasm.

With famous E3 2005 quotes :D

7. ManuOtaku

Well i do think this is to steal some momentum from project cafe news, more if you took in consideration that sony always stated in the past the PS3 will last 10 years, this means 5 years from now, therefore if they are rushing things it is because they now the new nintendo and maybe microsoft too are around the corner, therefore they want to steal some momentum.
    But this is kind of obvious, they were working on this for sure, but why stating this now is the question.

8. monu-mental

@ 6: Your jokes always seem to hit Sony hard. Spread the love around, then.

9. daytripper

@8 are you for real?

10. Christopher Jack

@3, Stop your anti-Sony regime, it’s not funny & it got boring ages ago & doesn’t even make sense any more. The PS3 was a fucking expensive SoB at & near launch, we get it, it’s now in a completely different situation since the price drops-stop living in the past. You don’t hear me complaining about the iPhone’s $999AUD* outright price tag (which still plagues the 32gb model) in every Apple article.
    *http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone
    & it’s closest competitor, the Galaxy S, is only $579.

11. Talyis

@Erthazus so everything that comes out of you mouth is sarcasm towards Sony, that is all you talk trash about! Yes we realize you dislike Sony, so stopped reading the articles about them and posting sarcastic(hate) comments towards them, jeez your annoying!

12. DrDamn

The ten year cycle was always meant to be like the PS2 cycle, I.e. Release PS4 but keep selling PS3 as a lighter and cheaper option. So a release of PS4 can be after 6 or 7 years of the PS3.

13. monu-mental

Yeah. Erthazus has ALWAYS been anti-Sony doesn’t matter what it’s about.. Games, PSN – oh PSN! He tumbles Sony like hate towards a virgin; He talks such trash that I sometimes look away and ignore the thread altogether. He’s like an MS spokesperson spreading lies and then feigns about it when called out.

14. Gekidami

In a world where people will happily pay $600 for a phone/pad, then the same for its newest model the year after. Or where the mere mention of a PC game springs conversations about what new hardware people are going to buy just to play it (see nearly any article on BF3, Witcher 2), moaning about a console with a 10 year lifespan costing 600 seems ridiculous now.

And it’ll seem just as ridiculous when Sony announce their next console. Who knows, maybe the haters will be spewing their bile from their $600 iPhone 50′s, because hypocrisy is the hallmark of any true fanboy.

15. Christopher Jack

@13, He doesn’t really comment about the 360 although he does insult popular games like Halo because they don’t look realistic enough.

16. ManuOtaku

#12 well maybe is true, but i think this time will be different, IMHO they are not gonna do the same thing with the backwards compatibility issue of the ps3, i mean take it away in order to increase ps2 sales, i think they are going to squeaze all the ps3 potential and then go with the PS4, therefore sony will not have two consoles running at the same time, but maybe iam wrong who knows.

17. G1GAHURTZ

Make or break time in the R+D department.

18. daytripper

what i dont get is, when other platforms get trolled some of you say nothing, when tea and people like that were posting, when its sony you cry foul like hes picking on you or insulting you personally. he’s obviously talking crap for reaction so i wouldnt let it bother you much or at all, gekidami makes a superb point about the ipad and so forth.

i just hope they put a lot into the box, more power, better online, better controller. day one for me if they really step up.

19. Talyis

I’ll pay 600 if its worth it, the PS3 was worth more than 600 hundred when it released. My PC cost 1500 I’m not complaining because it was worth it! People need to stop bitching about the prices! Sony lost a lot of money this gen for releasing a product they were loosing money on you got way more tech than it should have cost you! I wish I could have got all that tech in my PC much cheaper but hey what can you do, not every company is like that!

20. Nozz

Well you know what they say; if somebody doesn’t hate you, you aren’t doing it right…

Anyway, bring it on Sony. Hopefully they’ve learned a lot from this generation, saying that I don’t actually think they’ve done too badly for their 1st time providing a “persistent” online service.

I doubt they are going to announce anything this year let alone E3 but a tiny teaser would generate lots of hype, and yeah I agree that this seems like a Project Cafe induced statement.

21. Christopher Jack

@16, “take it away in order to increase ps2 sales” That was a rumour with no real source, it’s more likely that they did that to reduce production costs on the PS3 considering that they were making a severe loss on an already expensive machine.
    This time around, it shouldn’t be an issue since they already have the developed technology, all they need to do is it beef it up & shove it into the PS4 & because it will likely have the same architecture, it won’t cost anything more for hardware emulation (after the initial R&D).
    What Sony needs most though for the PS4 are better toolkits.

22. Lightmanone

I wonder if Sony feels threatened about the fact that Nintendo is gonna unveil it’s next console in just 2 weeks. (E3 ’11)

And even though I am a big supporter of Nintendo (played out Kirby’s Epic Yarn yesterday for example) The PS3 is the best console among the 3 of them. The Wii has good games, but the graphics can be better, the Xbox 360′s controller feels so good in my hand, but the console makes a noise which gives me a MASSIVE headache. The PS3 on the other hand plays games in silence and has so trouble playing bluray. I actually use the PS3 for my game console as my bluray player. Downside of the PS3 is… i don’t have any O.o Which surprises me actually. I have no complaints against the PS3. (and no I had no problems with the fact that PSN was down for 3 weeks.)

But the PS3 is still very powerfull and I still think it has much potential for the upcoming years. If sony would bring out a PS4, I have no idea what to imagine with that, cause the PS3 is so strong. (God, I sound like a Sony fanboy here brrrr :S )

23. Erthazus

Guys, i don’t dislike Sony or other company. I really don’t care about any of them at all.

What i care about is a customer support and i’m a Sony loyal customer. I have not just Playstation 3 or PSP at home.

But Sony does not make everything perfect for the last 6 years or so please, sony defence force fight with someone else. If my sarcasm at sony hurts your feelings you should visit a doctor.

So i’m a MS agent (despite just having Windows 7) or PC fnboy or PS3 fanboy (i remember someone called me that) :D hillarious.

@Gekidami, oh shut up. I will pay 600$ for everything that is worth the price.

PS3 at it’s time was not worth even 199$

I can pay 1500$ for Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 to max them out and i’m ok with this, because it’s absolutely worth the money.

While PS3, it was just a “Price for a potential” which didn’t worked for them.

I and most of the consumers don’t pay for the potential.

24. Bluebird

Prototype controller

;)

25. Dralen

@23 LOL “Sony Defence Force”.

26. Lounds

So PS3 was announced and a working model shown in 2005,so thats 6 years after ps2 release, so 5 years after ps3 release I don’t see problem, and it not as if they have a working model, they are probably looking at current tech, and what will be cheaper to produce in a few years time but still have an advantage over the opposition in terms of performance(which is what the ps3 did, but they failed in a few areas). I predict 2013 release Q4 for Japan, Q1 of 2014 for NA and Q2 for EU.

The only reason Sony didn’t do as well is, who ever is in charge of the online development of the PSN needs sacking. Xbox has one advantage and that it has the backing of a networking/software company Microsoft,Xbox live is seriously a brilliant adoptation of what online play should be for consoles (not perfect), Sony should employ someone from valve or google to make them a network/cloud that works well with an easy to use GUI.

PS4 Spec predictions:
    IBM – 12/8 core CPU
    2/4gb of RAM (should be 12/8gb but they will cut back i’m certain)
    Hybrid HDD – half solid state, half Hard disk.
    Geforce 470 GPU

27. Gama_888

Wow, This will give M$ nudge. Can imagine them all sleeping in the office then some one reads this.
    “Ooooh wake up boys”

I guess we will definitely be seeing something of this E3 2013.
    Or maybe earlier if the do it at one of those PS meeting things like they did with NGP :)

28. Bluebird

@27 MS has probably been looking into the hardware generation for a while as well. ;)

29. Erthazus

@Dralen,

It’s true. Just try saying something bad and true about Sony and everyone will call you a douche or annoying TWAT :D

Back on Topic:

Playstation 3 is a failure for a company. The only reason it is living right now with the same reason Square Enix pretending right now that everyone liked Final Fantasy XIII and they continue supporting FFXIII with new installment like FFXIII-2

Playstation 3 was an abomination and still is an abomination in software development. Cell microprocessor is just a bad experiment that didn’t worked for a company and even their creators.
    Blu ray? In the end no one need it when digital distribution started to show. I’m not saing that Blu Ray is a bad technology, it’s great tech but again just a bad experiment.
    GPU? No comment. It’s weaker then in Xbox 360 (Xbox 360 r500 is also cheaper to produce.)

PSN? I don’t want to start saying about it. Because it’s a failure of huge proportions.

The only thing that is right is a first party and second party strategy that worked for them very well. 1st party is a key to success to Sony playstation platforms.

30. Gama_888

@27 Of course but there latest statement on it was that nothing had even started.

The fact that Sony are now willing to admit it and maybe start talking about it shows that they are at a more confident point in the development process.

31. Christopher Jack

Sony would have been working on the PS4 since before the PS3 was even released, they just don’t work on the specs because standards change so radically in technology.

@29, You’re wrong, it’s only you they call a twat or a douche because you won’t leave well enough alone & keep repeating the same statements, you go into an article with the sole purpose of harassing those who are enjoying what ever they’re discussing, unless you like it of course-double standards here. If someone were to mention something negative about The Witcher 2, you’d be first in line to defend it but you can’t understand why people defend their Halo or Killzone.

32. The Evil Pope

Sony are a joke. Period.

33. Erthazus

PS4 Spec predictions:
    IBM – 12/8 core CPU
    2/4gb of RAM (should be 12/8gb but they will cut back i’m certain)
    Hybrid HDD – half solid state, half Hard disk.
    Geforce 470 GPU

thank god that you don’t make a console :D joking joking :D

If someone wants to speculate about hardware numbers. It’s going to use something like that:

64 bit microprocessor, probably traditional multicore processsor (thank god) from IBM or maybe ARM if they have balls.
    4 GB of Ram probably. They don’t need more.
    HDD or even SSD (I’m not sure about SSD, but if it was real it could be a freakin awesome thing)
    100 series of GPU from Nvidia with physX this time.

34. Lounds

@31 you’re an idiot

35. Fin

@23/29/33

I don’t know if you’re one of those fanboys, but you’re definitely a graphics whore.

“WAT DIS GAME DOESN’T HVAE 64AA AND SOFT SHADER SHADOW DEPTH MAPS? LOLOLOLOL SHITTY SUB-HD CONSOLE GRAPHICS!!!! INSTANOBUY”

Not everything is about graphics and power, you tool.

36. Lounds

@Fin

So if you worked for a games company, we’d all still be playing 16-bit games, mate stfu, stop trolling prick. Keep to topic its about PS4 being in development and research stage and what peoples thoughts on this is.

37. Erthazus

@35. then go play NES games and stop buying current|next generation.

Problem solved.

38. The_Red

All next gen consoles HAVE to have Solid State disk. We’ve suffered stupid loadings for long enough. The whole play experience will change for some games.

39. Lounds

@37 well said

40. Lounds

@38 I think SSD will still be expensive, they will look into manufacturing hybrid drives so you still have that massive storage to download games onto.

41. Gama_888

Erthazus has found a friend, How sweet :)

@37 thats just a stupid thing to say.

@38 agreed :)

42. Erthazus

@40, SSD… Yeah.. i agree. Very expensive, but maybe for that time it’s going to be a bit cheaper.

I still think it will happen, because it is an inevitable future. SSD is awesome, fast and reliable.

My friend have 90GB SSD and when he plays games online he is always first in multiplayer matches.

43. ultramega

Still repeating the same drivel from 4 years ago. How original. What amazes me is that you waste your time daily, hating on Sony. You really need something better to do with your time.

44. Christopher Jack

@33,
    -I don’t think that it would be a total shocker if Sony were to continue with the Cell CPU but I think it’d be interesting to see an APU or ARM architecture on a home console .
    -4 GB of RAM would make the most sense, any less would be a pain for developers, any more would be a waste of money.
    -Sony will most likely include a small SSD for certain software like the System’s storage & other important software, they will definitely include a HDD on at least one model, most likely 500gb.
    -Sony will have to include a Blu Ray drive actually fast enough to read entirely from the disk.
    -Sony will need a real browser this time, Mozilla or Google Chrome would suffice. Google TV integration would be nice, of course that’s assuming that Google actually gets somewhere with it.
    -As for the GPU? I would have no idea, it entirely depends on what Architecture they choose, if they go with a Power PC architecture again, I think AMD may be the safer choice but Nvidia still seems more likely.

45. Fin

Why yes, when I say “Not everything is about graphics”, what I really mean is “I can’t tell the difference between Pong and Crysis 2 (or whatever the flavour of the month is)”.

Oh wait, no, I actually meant that if you can’t enjoy a game because it’s not displaying at 1920×1200 (or whatever) at 60fps with all the anti-aliasing bullshit, you’re not really into games. You’re into graphics.

46. Lounds

“100 series of GPU from Nvidia with physX this time”

You seriously think sony would put a 5 year old GPU in a 2014 product?
    Don’t get me wrong the 8800 was a mint Gfx card but I doubt Sony wold use that, maybe something from 200/400 series, more likely 400 because of the use of tessellation and how console developers could use this in there games.

@44 AMD is a safer bet, cheaper GPU’s but still powerful, Nintendo’s new console will use a 4800 gpu (currently in my pc, god i need to upgrade).
    but it depends on what MS do, if I was sony i would copy xbox’s w.e. hardware structure and make it better, that way games get better hardware for your console and it makes MS look like the secondary console, cause atm Sony is MS bitch in this war.

47. Lounds

@45 it just I don’t like my eye’s to bleed everytime I play a game. Not a single console is producing true HD visuals. Remember E3 2005, sony saying shit like “our console can produce 1080p with 60fps”, fucking lier’s. Maybe you should use both worlds of gaming cause once you’ve been spoilt by PC you see the flaws in current gen consoles, you’re just blinded by the truth. You’re right graphics don’t make a game, that why games like CS 1.6 are still being played and online mmo’s like runescape, but imagin this, a 1.2 corsa or Golf GTI, what would you pick?

48. Fin

If I can have as much fun in the Corsa (the only point at which games actually stop becoming fun due to graphics is when the framerate makes them unplayable), then I’m going to buy the Corsa for around 12k (new), instead of the Golf GTI for 25k.

I also wouldn’t go around comment sections of websites telling everyone HEY GUYS THIS CAR ISN’T AS GOOD AS A GOLF GTI AND THEREFORE IS NOT WORTH MY TIME.

Also, like I said before, if you care enough about graphics that not having 1080p at 60fps will ruin a game’s enjoyment, maybe gaming isn’t the right hobby for you.

49. Gama_888

@45 Agreed 100%
    There into graphics not games.

They make your eyes bleed?
    No, They Dont.
    You just choose to hate a game right there and then because……..
    Well i dont even know why you do it :-/

50. ManuOtaku

I think what sony needs to be succesfull again in the home console front is build an new console that it is not so difficult to develop for, i mean make it capable but also accessible, i mean find the balance between power and easy to develop for.

51. Gekidami

“Successful again”? Because you think they apparently werent successful this time? Why? Because they didnt sell more then the Wii?

If the PS3 isnt “Successful” then the 360 is an utter failure. Because ever since the PS3 launched, its sold better then the 360 (except for in 2008 where the 360 sold 0.3 more). Why does Sony have its own unique set of ridiculously high goals it has to achieve, else its considered a ‘failure’?

52. DaMan

Gekidami, you’re as shallow as they come.

You don’t have to purchase a new iPhone when the new version comes out, it’s meant for the people who enjoy keeping up with the latest gadgets. Similarly, if you want the latest gfx then a console becomes obsolete 2 years into their life .

53. NightCrawler1970

I guess there will be no USB-slots and Card-readers this time… lmao!!!
    Hopefully build in Wifi so i can tranfer movies from PC to PS3… that would be nice…

54. Dannybuoy

good lord… some people need to get out more.. can a new console really make people so crazy…

55. TD_Monstrous69

To hear this is not really all that shocking. Because if there’s something that Kaz Hirai can be sometimes, is a lier. Though on why this got revealed a month after what Kaz had originally said, not sure. Could be because of the new Nintendo console, but I guess that’s something that’ll never truly be known.

56. PS3Dreamer

GAYBOX 360 fan boys why the fk u even comment, I have a GAYBOX and seats there collecting dust, even when PSN was down it was better then my xbox, never even turned it on once. and to PS4 YEAAAAAAAAAH!

57. Moonwalker1982

@ 56

People like you still exist? Wow. Why did you even buy an Xbox 360? Ah shit, why am i even replying to you.

58. OrbitMonkey

Well I hope they keep it simple tbh. Same features, but better, faster tech inside a smaller, slimmer case. Oh & triggers on the Dualshock plz :D

59. Christopher Jack

The community on this site seems very pro-PS3.
    You should see the more American sites like IGN, 360 trollz everywhere & they’re even more stupid than PS3 trollz.

60. Moonwalker1982

But i rather avoid them my friend, they are a waste of time and space. I’ve never understood ‘fanboys’ anyway, why do they defend a game console so much? So you like your game console and games? Fine..be happy and enjoy it, why talk shit about another console? Very pathetic to be honest.

61. Talyis

@Moonwalker its the same reason Erthazus still exists on here, to be a basher!

62. Talyis

@Orbit sorry but I hate the 360 triggers there too thin but honestly I don’t much like the R2′s on the duelshock, may make it have a lip but not thin like the 360′s controller! I hope they keep the controller similar but with a new feature or 2!

63. Gama_888

You can buy those Real trigger things for the Ds3, Put them on and it actually feels great!!
    mine broke though :( dog chewed them up the lil B*****D :P

64. OrbitMonkey

Yeah I use those real triggers, makes a big difference. Would love to see that design on the next Dualshock’s :)