Bleszinski keen on dynamic difficulty

Thursday, 26th May 2011 00:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Epic’s Cliff Bleszinski has come out swinging for dynamic difficulty – games adapting to your level of skill.

“Games should detect if you haven’t played for a bit and then soften the difficulty a smidge upon return,” Bleszinski said on Twitter.

He added: “Then ramp it back up slightly. Most games assume you’re resuming moments later when your skills might not be as ‘warm.’”

Yes, it’s true: designing hardcore games doesn’t make you instantly good at all of them:

“I’ve fired up a few games that I’m late in after not playing for a while and gotten creamed,” he explained.

Sadly, we won’t see dynamic difficulty of this kind in Epic’s upcoming juggernaut.

“And no we don’t have this in [Gears of War 3],” the designer said. “But I want to experiment with it in the future.”

Personally, I’d settle for games including a control outline screen in the pause menu. Shoot is a face button? What? Oh, I’m dead.

Bleszinski has commented that he thought Gears of War 2 was too easy.

Gears of War 3 is due on Xbox 360 in September.

Thanks, IndustryGamers.

1. evilashchris

He speaketh the truth!

2. ultramega

Agreed.

3. xino

i guess that was possible in Left4Dead

4. Phoenixblight

Uh no it wasn’t.

5. Stardog

Piss off, Cliff.

6. Bloodyghost

@5 A positive and good idea from a Design Director and you somehow conduct negativity?

Man, must be really messed in your world.

7. Stardog

@6 It’s a dumb idea. If I choose hard, I want it hard. This “warm up” stuff is nonsense too.

More hand-holding for dumb players.

8. Phoenixblight

Its called broadening their audience. Times change for every industry and more people are playing games thus more money is involved. Don’t like it? Then go back to playing games from the 90′s, this movement won’t be going anywhere.

9. freedoms_stain

@7, there are games in the past where I left off for months before coming back and had to start the game from the beginning again because I’d lost the skills for that particular game.

On a couple of those occasions I certainly wouldn’t have minded the game adjusting itself to be a little easier while I settled back in.

He’s not talking about the game making itself easier purely because it’s hard, but people coming back in to the middle of a game they haven’t played for a while.

I think that’s fair enough.

10. mojo

/shakes head

11. Blerk

There are some horrific difficulty spikes in Gears, you should’ve thought about this earlier, Cliff!

12. DrDamn

Game difficulty varying to match your skills? Haven’t Racers been doing this for years with cheating rubberband AI?

As an optional difficulty setting I think it’s a reasonable idea, some may like it. Auto-easyfying the game just because you haven’t played for a while I wouldn’t like though. It would feel like you’ve cheated a little wouldn’t it? If you need to get your eye in again then just restarting one of the early levels would be a better option – if games fecking allowed you to do this without wiping over your main save! Some even have the stupidity to wipe over your SP save if you want to play a little co-op campaign too /stares at Gears.

“Personally, I’d settle for games including a control outline screen in the pause menu.”

Amen to that!

13. Ge0force

Soldner X²: Final Prototype on PSN has an advanced dynamic difficulty system and it works quite good actually.

14. mojo

“. It would feel like you’ve cheated a little wouldn’t it?”

Feel?
    U have cheated.

15. Stardog

@12 Of course it won’t be optional. Like the previous posters have said – this is modern day gaming. They give you what they think you want, instead of asking you, and you have to deal with their bullshit decisions.

16. Noodlemanny

I think this could be good, maybe. If handled properly perhaps it could cool or even stop those times when your screaming at the screen. That would be something we could all use a little less of (don’t lie we’ve all been there). But then again (like DrDamn said) it could feel a little like cheating. And if they penalised you for it that would suck.
    If they were to give you the option to turn it off (which really isn’t out of the question) that would be good.

@ mojo
    oug. Don’t be so melodramatic

17. ManuOtaku

The tittle of this post should be “Bleszinski promoting gears of war 4″

18. TheWulf

I’m with him on this. But that still doesn’t mitigate that his constant dead-eyed stare scares the living hell out of me.

I’ve never before seen a person that creates an uncanny valley effect in my mind like CliffyB does. @_@ I’m not sure what it is… maybe it’s just a tonne of plastic surgery, if he’s had any. I don’t know. It’s weird.

19. Noodlemanny

ARRRR NO, I’m gonna notice that every single time I look at his face now… *Greatly Irritated facial expression*