Square Enix to announce new MMO before April 2012

Wednesday, 25th May 2011 09:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Square Enix is developing a new MMO, with an announcement to come later in its fiscal year ending March 31, 2012, the company has said.

The news comes from the transcript of the company’s FY2011 financials earlier this month (translated by Andriasang).

In it, it says that it’s hoping to operate between two to three large-scale MMOs simultaneously, something Square says will hopefully enable a stable cash flow.

On its current big MMO, Final Fantasy XIV, it says that it’s starting to see the target in terms of fixing the problems its had since its launch last fall.

1. Blerk

Because their last one went so well!

2. Hunam

The last one was outdated mechanically by about 8 years when it came out. Maybe the next one will only be 5 years out of date?

3. viralshag

“operate between two to three large-scale MMOs simultaneously, something Square says will hopefully enable a stable cash flow.”

Two to three? They can barely run one decent MMO. Here’s an idea that might enable a stable cash flow: make ONE decent MMO, that’s not bugged to fuck at launch and is actually worth the money people pay for.

Otherwise, what will happen? They will most likely make some money on the initial sales of the game, people find out it’s shit and then cancel their sub. If that’s the business plan you might as well just make a few games that are not MMOs that require little aftercare in terms of patching and content updates…

In this day and age of MMO’s, there is not much room for shitty releases and awful launches. Rift seems to be doing well because they had a near flawless launch in my experience of it.

TL;DR Don’t give up your day job Squenix, even though that’s been pretty shoddy of late too…

4. sebbie16

@3 What MMO isn’t bugged to fuck at launch. Given FFXIV had a lot of issues that should have been fixed in beta. WOW is a perfect example, its launch was plagued with tons of bugs(queuing anyone). FFXI is/was a very successful MMO. It was out before WOW and is still around. Sure it doesn’t have no where near as many subscribers but it has more than enough. So Squenix is capable of a decent MMO, its just with this current one they screwed the pooch.

5. ecu

IV’s failure isn’t a reason to give up. If anything they will have learned from it and the next one will be better.

I won’t be playing them anyway, so I’m happy for them to milk MMO players for their hard earned, and spend the profits developing proper games that I’ll actually play.

6. viralshag

@4, I gave an example of decently launched MMO, Rift. Playing that from launch was a better experience than with most MMOs at launch. Constant and quick updates, including security updates, helped it have a better launch than most.

From what I hear, FFXIV still isn’t up to scratch and quite frankly, I don’t see why they are considering new MMO projects while they haven’t even sorted out their current game. My problem is not so much with them making the games, it’s more with them giving people some quality for their money.

I never played FFXI, so I will have to take your word on its quality.

7. Hunam

The problem with FFXIV is the basic design of the game is trash. They can’t save it without actually starting again and redesigning every class, remaking every city, every field and every dungeon.

8. OlderGamer

Yea I was gonna point at Rift on the “how to launch a MMO” as well. The beta for that game was smoother then most games after they are out for a few patches/months.

9. viralshag

@ OlderGamer,

Totally agree. I think a lot was down to the beta testing. It seemed pretty extensive compared to some other games. When they really opened it up, there was some major queuing issues on a Thursday with some waits up to an hour, by Friday/Saturday it was down to like 10 minutes if any waiting at all.

For me Trion set the bar with their release of Rift and I would say their overall customer service outside and inside the game is first class. I don’t actually play much now as lately I burn out pretty quick on MMOs but it’s a great game.

10. SamJ

Even if they do their homework and pull off a successful launch like Rift did, I’d say they still have to do something original with the game. I don’t think there’s room for another of the same-old-MMO. Though maybe they’ll have enough FF fans to make it work.

Still, the fact that multiple simultaneous games are mentioned makes me think they plan to throw everything at the wall and see what will stick. Have to go with what this guy says about “Defcon 4 folly ahead.”

11. jldoom

Yeah…I think they should focus on FF14 first then try and move on. It’s pretty jacked from what I’ve heard about it. Either way, I sort of agree with @5 lol, as long as they keep putting out quality games, I guess taking 3 steps forward 1 step back isn’t TOO bad.