ESRB lists The Witcher 2 for Xbox 360

Wednesday, 25th May 2011 07:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

US ratings body the ESRB has listed an Xbox 360 version of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, further muddying the is-it-or-isn’t-it E3 reveal question.

Gamefront reports The ESRB has updated its Witcher 2 page to list both PC and Xbox 360 as available platforms.

CD Project has teased a “brand-new project” to be presented at E3, but denied it was Witcher-related.

Contradictory reports hinting at a console port and finally a flat no-comment statement have further confused the issue.

E3 kicks off on June 7. Try not to explode.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings released on PC on May 17. Strong reviews and lavish praise for the game’s visuals have spiked console gamers’ appetite.

The series is based on a fantasy series by Andrzej Sapkowski, which is highly popular in Poland and Russia. Two novels and a handful of short stories have been released in English so far.

1. Quasar

Buy it for the pc, it will be superior in every aspect

2. Blerk

Not on my PC it wouldn’t be.

Come on, console-o-Witcher! I would very much like to buy you.

3. StolenGlory

Agreed with Blerk here, The Witcher 2 would *destroy* my PC as it currently stands. A console version would go down very nicely indeed :)

4. Hunam

Witcher 2 seems to be destroying my PC well enough at the moment. Just got to Flotsam and I can’t seem to get a decent framerate even slightly.

5. Erthazus

I want to see how they are going to port it.

I expect nothing less then LOWEST settings and stripped version.

I’m not so sure about Witcher 2 and how console gamers are going to enjoy the first one? I think it’s better to do Witcher game EXCLUSIVELY for console.

6. Dralen

I think I would cry if someone forced me to play this beautiful game on the current gen of consoles.

7. TheWulf

This… is very unlikely. It would have to be scaled down immensely to even think about running on a 360. I’m not being nasty here, but the 360 is circa ’06 PC hardware, and the Witcher 2 can be taxing on modern computers.

What I can see happening is a new game based on the Witcher IP being released for the 360 and this being an administrative oversight, but in order to get 2 to work on the 360 they’d have to redesign everything – from the engine to putting effort into making lower resolution textures look good.

So while I do believe that a Witcher game is going to be headed to the consoles eventually, I don’t think it’s going to be 2. Besides, 2 is huge, and with the amount going on constantly in regards to AI and the open world, I’m not even sure if the 360′s memory and processing capabilities could handle it without, quite frankly, widdling itself.

So don’t get your hopes up for Witcher 2, but count on a Witcher game.

S’my opinion.

(Oh, and the physics! How would they expect the 360 to handle the physics? @_@ If it was the Witcher 2 they’d have to strip out about 60% of the game just to make it work.)

8. Maximum Payne

@4 So what ? I mean its not like you have fight in Flotsam or something.Also all people put everything on Ultra but Medium or High just look same with better framerate.But I don’t know how will game look or play on console because there a lot of loading and map are big so chance is the Witcher 2 as it is not be on console maybe they port Witcher 1 or combine or something.If you have solid PC you shouldn’t wait for console version it wont be superior.period.

9. Erthazus

To make this on consoles they need to optimize the game for consoles in which they failed to optimize even a PC version of a game.

I say… BOLLOCKS to this.

10. frostquake

The Only way I will ever get to play this is on a Console. So if your a PC Gamer don’t complain, it is fully optimized for you and your PC and is not like they did it first for Consoles and then ported it to PC’s.

I really wanted the first one on Console and was disappointed that it didn’t make it down to the consoles, so I am excited for this.

I just hope they try to push the consoles to the max and keep it solid.

11. Overdos3

#1

12. Maximum Payne

@10 I think they just finish The rise of white wolf.

13. Erthazus

@frostquake, ” it is fully optimized for you ”

you are joking right? It’s not optimized.

14. BloodyJoe

PS3 please!

15. Bloodyghost

@1 Not to surprise you or anything but I seriously rather play on my xbox, AND given that my PC wont run this game better then my Xbox.

16. YoungZer0

@10: I think you need to look up the word “optimized”. As much as i love Witcher 2. It’s not optimized.

I really, really hope it A.) Not exclusive for 360, because then i’d lose some respect for the guys and B.) Not witcher 2, but instead and original game. Or a revamp of Witcher 1. Man, that would be awesome.

17. Moonwalker1982

Please dude, don’t exeggerate it now. you are talking like 360 can’t handle anything in that game. Exactly why wouldn’t it be able to have the physics? I agree about the graphics , no doubt they are seriously gonna be toned down but i see no reason why physics wouldn’t be possible.

18. Telepathic.Geometry

I really really really want this game. If it only looks as good as the Uncharteds etc., no problem. All that PC ball-aching about da grafix is making me grumpy. I want the characters, the environments, the gameplay, geeve eet to mee.

19. Blerk

I’d be happy with a console-specific Witcher spin-off if they couldn’t squeeze the proper games in there. Any Witcher is better than no Witcher at all, no?

20. Moonwalker1982

True. I wonder though…why did they cancel the first Witcher on consoles? It was already in the making and then it was…gone.

21. Blerk

They fell out with the guys doing the port. The port guys said they hadn’t been paid, CDP said the port guys had missed deadlines, work wasn’t up to scratch, etc. Then they called each others’ mums names and never spoke to each other again.

Or something like that. :-D

22. Hunam

People have a weirdly inflated view of The Witcher 2′s technical aptitude. It’s a great looking game, incredible even, but that’s because they have spent literally years crafting every inch of that game. The art is exceptionally strong and the art direction is superb with a fantastic grasp setting a visual scene, but I don’t really see anything that would make it impossible on consoles though.

Uncharted 2 looks just as good and it’s levels are also massive. With the 360, physics isn’t a problem as the 360 cpu is custom designed for that sort of thing (look at RFG, that has tons of physics almost the entire time and the 360 barely bats an eye lit when you knock down a sky scraper) and streaming tech was mastered on the console hence the big open world games and seamless inside/outside levels as well as The Witcher 2 being quite adept at dumping textures and loading different ones, as well as well placed hard loads to clear any backlog.

Basically, I have no idea why people keep saying that Witcher 2 is impossible on consoles. CDPR never said that so I don’t know why people are jumping out to make claims they have no idea about. I get that us PC people want to champion the games that are PC centric, but the Witcher 2 fawning is beginning to annoy me now.

23. OrbitMonkey

I don’t know about graphics, if Penny Arcade are to be believed they will need to change the gameplay for the console crowd…

24. Phoenixblight

Believe whatever you want but the ESRB is not a rumor mill they update their site when a developers sends a game to be reviewed.
    CD Projekt has stated time and time again they hope to have it released for the consoles. How hard is that to believe that its actually happening.?

25. NeoSquall

Well, we had it coming.

26. TheWulf

Indeed.

The 360′s lack of being able to handle physics is a long running thing. And there are elements of The Witcher 2 which use DX11. Just because some people (I’m looking at them right now) might not be able to run it to its best effect, and thus under-exaggerate what it can do, doesn’t change the fact that there’s DX11 stuff in there.

The 360 manages DirectX9 and some low-end physics. That’s it. I’m sorry, but the 360 is lacking even compared to the PS3, and that’s not bull, that’s facts. Read up on the 360 hardware and what it can do. The 360 is circa ’06 PC hardware. Everyone has known this forever now, are we trying to deny now because… why? You tell me.

Fallacy. We’re talking about the 360, not the PS3. The PS3 is a good deal more advanced than the 360 and is more similar to circa ’08 PC hardware. You wouldn’t even get Uncharted running on a 360 without stripping it down.

Because it’d be like trying to run The Witcher 2 on circa ’06 PC hardware. I’m betting you won’t get 10FPS out of it on even the lowest settings. They’d have to start with the lowest settings and start stripping things out from there.

WHY do that when they can just make something that’s more specifically designed for a console’s hardware?

I know which I think is the most believable.

27. TheWulf

I’m all about art direction first, but I love it when a good engine can be used to enhance that, rather than just compromise it. In The Witcher 2, they do that, and they use some interesting DX11 stuffs to make it look as good as it does. But it’s a house of cards, if you start taking cards away then it collapses.

The Witcher 2 looks fairly shit on DX10 PCs, I can’t imagine how bad it would look on a computer from ’06 running DX9. And yes, the 360 is DX9 limited. The Witcher 2, for better or worse, depends on using the most modern PC hardware to show its true self. You just wouldn’t get the best out of it on marginally outdated PC hardware, let alone a 360.

None of this is outside the realm of the comprehensible.

(And I’m basing this on having seen TW2 run on a machine from ’11 and one from ’08. The results were… surprising. The differences visually were drastic.)

28. Phoenixblight

I didn’t say it would be a good looking port just said that it is coming out. ESRB is listing it and the the devs have stated they want to put on the console.

29. TheWulf

I get you. It just doesn’t make sense. Why not just make something original that uses DX9 as its base and makes it look good for DX9? Doesn’t that make sense to anyone? :|

30. Crab of Thunder

I’m happy if this happens, i don’t have 90 bazillion dollars to spend on a monstrous PC that could actually do a decent job of running it. So its a nice alternative.

31. bpcgos

@30 hah, another missperception about PC! My 3 years old pc(+6 months old hd 6850) can handle it well (varied from 30-60 FPS max) and its not more than US$400 worth (I’m coming from 3rd world country, so its all custom built with slightly higher price due to taxes and exchange rate)