Dublin teen behind last month’s XBL service alert

Wednesday, 25th May 2011 21:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It looks as though 14-year-old Dublin boy is behind the service alert Microsoft’s put into affect last month when “external intrusion” saw the firm bring Xbox Live offline due to the  potential for phishing attempts while playing Modern Warfare 2.

According to a report over on Herald.ie, Microsoft Ireland’s general manager, Paul Rellis, revealed the information during his keynote at the Bank of Ireland Business Week conference.

According to Rellis,  Microsoft is now working with the Tallaght teenager so as to develop his talent and skills for “legitimate purposes.”

1. LOLshock94

irish people are soo cool

2. Alex Donaldson

Johnny Cullen up to no good again? (Yes, I know you’re not from Dublin, JC.)

3. Fin

Tallaght scanger, eh? Predictable.

@1 Fuck you.

4. minxamo

‘Microsoft is now working with the Tallaght teenager so as to develop his talent and skills for “legitimate purposes.”’
    Best way to get a job, hack Microsoft.

5. someguy2

I thought racism results in a ban on this site?

6. pukem0n

his talent to write stupid XBL messages to idiots to get their passwords?
    is that how you get a job with MS?

7. Fin

LOLshock94′s original comment was “irish people are soo gay”, in case people thought I overreacted with the “fuck you”.

8. reask

I mean in all fairness on MS,s part its a clever move really.
    The guy obviously has talent so why not nurture it.

Now who else could have done that I wonder. ;)

9. DSB

It’s not racism if they’re Irish, though. They love that shit. Calling an Irish person a fag is a bit like saying “Hello”. Then they’ll usually reply with some kind of answer regarding the items that’ll fit in your mothers anus.

It’s kinda like how everybody loves shooting Mexicans so much, even Mexicans shoot Mexicans.

(In case you’re humorless, that’s just a quote from the TV adaptation of Generation Kill)

Generally speaking, satirizing something or someone, or even ethnic groups has absolutely nothing to do with racism. There’s no sarcasm or irony to actual racial hatred. Racism is wishing someone severe harm. Simply fucking around with them doesn’t qualify.

10. darksied

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m of the thinking that patting a kid on the head and sending him on his way for hacking on xbox live is NOT the way to go. People will assume you’re soft, and you’ll see more crap like this. It might be harsh, but I think you should should do the maximum you can to a 14 year old in Ireland. I would have been happier if it said:

‘According to Rellis, Microsoft is now working with the Tallaght teenager IN JAIL so as to develop his talent and skills for “legitimate purposes” WHEN HE IS RELEASED.’

11. reask

@ 9
    Actually a fag means a cigarette in Ireland.
    As for Anus.
    Pog mo thoin.

12. reask

@ 10
    I hear what you’re saying but if some 14 year old does something on his PC that can enable to hack a co like MS is it really a crime?

I personally hate too much Political Correctness as it never knows when to stop.
    A bit like arguing for not leaving your house as there is a 1/10000 to 1 chance you will be hit by a bus.

13. Hunam

Umm, XBL wasn’t bought down, they just put up a service alert.

14. ultramega

Yep. Let’s just ignore all of the studies that have showed a greater success rate of youth reintegration into society by working with the apparent troubled youth, rather than just using the archaic method of throwing them into jail with some misguided sense of justice in mind (which normally only achieve fermentation of worse crimes in the process), and keep trying what doesn’t work.

15. TheWulf

Not a fan of the derogative use of gay. :| I know some will say that it’s a ‘joke,’ but it’s about as much a joke as the use of ‘bitches’ when talking to/about women. Just not a fan. I keep thinking that we’re somehow beyond that sort of thing.

Not ragging on anyone about it, just saying that I’m definitely not a fan of that sort of thing and I think less of those who do it.

That sounds strangely familiar…

Oh, right! Sony! Sony could really learn a thing or ten from Microsoft. And whilst I know that’s going to tick some fans off (despite me not being a part of this silly war, and being on Sony’s side even if I were), there’s no denying that it’s true.

16. DSB

Bitches love it when you call people gay.

Had to be done.

Cheer up, eh? My brother-in-law hates being called a queer, but he loves being called a fag. Personal sensibilities are obviously fair enough, but ultimately irrelevant in any society equipped with freedom of expression, and idiosyncratic insult-humor.

17. ultramega

@15 I am so confused as to what you’re talking about. My comment had nothing to do with Sony or Microsoft.