Kojima: “The thing” I’ve spent a year preparing is “meaningless”

Tuesday, 24th May 2011 14:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Hideo Kojima has hinted at a potential cancellation from Kojima Productions, saying a “thing” that the Metal Gear Solid creator has spent the past year on has now become “meaningless”.

“The thing that I spent one year delicately preparing became meaningless,” he said in a tweet first on his Japanese Twitter, as translated by VG247 contributor Alex Donaldson, before being posted on his English Twitter.

He added before that: “I can’t take it anymore; this is unbearable, I can’t stay positive.”

If a project inside Kojima Productions has been canned, it’s unknown what said “thing’ could be affected.

MGS: Rising or MGS 3DS? Very unlikely, gringo. NGP project? Again, unlikely: he’s due to show it off next month in LA. His “devil project”? We haven’t heard anything on that for a while. Zone of the Enders 3? Not even in development right now.

Watch for E3 or TGS to see if there’s any clues as to what it might be.

[Image]

1. Erthazus

HOLY JESUS! Kojima you can do it… Just believe in yourself =\

2. StolenGlory

It had better NOT be a Snatcher reboot or I will hunt you down Hideo!

3. Erthazus

@2, i will shit myself if it is going to be a CANCELLED snatcher reboot

=(

4. minxamo

He’s not alright anymore…

5. Panipal2005

He’s finally realised he shouldn’t be wasting production time churning out MGS games.

6. Schindet Nemo

Didn’t he tease a PS3/NGP cross game that you could play on both platforms on the fly?

7. Johnny Cullen

I know I said in the post it hasn’t entered development – and to my knowledge, it isn’t – but if any plans of a ZoE3 have been scarpered now, I will literally cry and have a mental breakdown.

8. lirky

Kojima should re-make Snatcher with third person gameplay style where your in the cyberpunk world and you are an invesitgator thick dialouge + third person shooting action duck&cover action.

And you can bring your gun out at anytime when your sensing trouble.

9. Erthazus

ZoE3 will never happen. No matter how everybody wants it. Franchise sold very badly in the past and making a reboot won’t do Konami any better if they can’t even sell something more then Metal Gear in most cases.

10. Blerk

Maybe he’s been working on a Wii game?

11. Kaufer

They canceled Snake Eater 3DS. That was announced almost a year ago.

12. StolenGlory

On a side note, the dude needs some valium.

13. Vistrix

Its could be MGS Rising – this might be why the voice actor for Raiden was completely in the dark about the game and hasn’t been asked to voice act.

Its also been around 1 year since he announced the Xbox version (E3 last year?).

This is what you get for focusing on multi platform development. Kojima probably feels limited.

14. StolenGlory

@13 I don’t see it being completely cancelled at all, and even if it was just the 360 version cancelled, I can’t imagine him being *too* gutted about it versus an entire project being cancelled and not able to see the light of day in any shape or form.

15. YoungZer0

@9: Sad truth, really. I loved ZoE: 2nd Runner, even with its horrific voiceacting.

To Topic: I really wonder what he’s talking about. Hope he makes it.

@13: Rising? He’s not the director on the Rising.

16. ManuOtaku

I think he was working in tighting up the PSN security system.

17. Kaufer

#13 MGS Rising was announced E3 2009 and Kojima wasn’t involved with it directly unlike his other games.

18. StolenGlory

I shouldn’t laugh.

But sorry, I lol’d :)

19. Johnny Cullen

It’s definitely not Rising. Can’t be.

20. StolenGlory

Agreed. Not only that, but assuming the translation is at least halfway accurate, the use of the word ‘preparing’ suggests preparing for a reveal or unveiling, rather than something we know about already.

Not only that, but again if the translation is to be believed, he has only be ‘preparing’ this title for a year; which pretty much excludes everything that has been announced thus far (Work on MGS: 3D started as the Naked Sample back in Feb 2010).

21. Gekidami

This was apparently meant to be a new IP. It was the “risky” one he talking about, the one that he said he’d have to leave the industry if he screwed it up because it “took on a taboo”.

Looks like konami arent up for the risk. Good news is he said he was working on this instead of ZOE3, so now the coast is clear.

And no, its not Rising because Kojima isnt working on that.

22. ManuOtaku

#18 thank god we can laugh now knowing that is all behind us 8D

23. 2plus2equals5

I think that he’s talking about the mgs:pw hd leak, probably he wanted to surprise us with the announcement.

24. kingofscotland

@23 – Yeah that makes alot of sense to be fair although it is still just a rumour and hasnt been ‘accidently’ announced or anything.

I hope thats all it is and nothing is canned.

Dont know why he hasnt broken away from Konami and went solo – I’m sure Sony would be happy to back his studio and become publishing partner

25. undeadwolfy

@21, where did you hear that he was working on ZOE3?

26. Johnny Cullen

@25 He isn’t, but he’s previously stated an intention of working on ZoE3.

27. KL

didn’t he “praised” Kinect at TGS 09?He surely must had a plan doing something with it,maybe that’s what brought to a dead end

28. Gekidami

29. Len

Konami must be thrilled he’s wasted a year!

30. AHA-Lambda

to me it sounds like konami has cancelled his taboo project.

Trust konami to cancel it and just make him do more metal gear =(

31. xino

it has nothing to do with MGS Rising, that’s a different director working on that. Kojima is only the executive producer for Rising and Rising is not cancelled. It brings a new evolution in playing hack n slash game and will change the way we play them just like how Ninja Gaiden 3 will change the way we play hack n slash.

The game he’s talking about is obviously is Satan project aka Devil project.

It has nothing to do with MGS 3DS as that is going accordingly to plan.

32. Bloodyghost

Its not Rising but I bet it MIGHT be that awesome Devil Project with Suda.

I know we will still be seeing NGP, 3DS and Rising Metal Gear games at E3.

I feel his pain, its horrible to build something up then watch the waves come and crash it down.

Hopefully his mentality changes. If I were him, I would reassess my situation after the cancel and make a new IP that takes all the things that made that project special but fix it in the sense of evading cancellation again.

I fear if his mentality doesn’t change then he might so it in his future projects or sadly may be affected and will leave this industry a lot sooner.

33. Gekidami

Funny if it turned out he was talking about his marriage. Though i’m pretty sure he’s had that for over a year. :D

34. Bloodyghost

@33 is he married?

35. Gekidami

^ Yeah, for about 10 years if i recall, he has a son too.

36. OrbitMonkey

Kojima, get drunk, get laid, eat pizza & chill the fuck out.

37. ultramega

Are you 15? Like, wow, what a thoughtful response.

38. Bloodyghost

@36 But just speculate how he feels about having more ideas for games and just being able to rightly make Metal Gear something only.

39. ultramega

@38 This is all speculation right now, though. Who knows what he’s actually talking about. Hopefully some light will be shed on it, come E3.