Hell freezes, pigs fly: Duke Nukem Forever goes gold

Tuesday, 24th May 2011 13:04 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Its actually happened: 2K has announced that Duke Nukem Forever has gone Gold, meaning that the game is now being pressed to disc and will ship – as in, baring a colossal catastrophe, actuality properly ship – on June 10.

2K’s and Gearbox just released this image to celebrate the news.

“Always bet on Duke, I did,” said Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford.

“I bet on all of the developers who have ever been a part of this legendary project and I bet that none of us want to live in a world without the Duke. I’ve played the final game and it is an incredible experience – a once-in-a-lifetime opus of interactive entertainment that reminds me once again why Duke Nukem is our King.

The developers of Duke Nukem Forever at 3D Realms, Triptych, Piranha and finally at Gearbox deserve our thanks and respect for never giving up and have truly shown us that they have balls of steel!”

Christoph Hartmann, 2K’s president, continued: “Duke Nukem Forever is the game that was once thought to be unshippable, and yet here we are, on the precipice of history.”

“When you play this game you will be reminded of that epic journey at every turn and in every small detail of the game,” added 3DRealms creative director George Broussard.

“The character, attitude, interactivity, gameplay and political incorrectness combine to make a Duke Nukem game a unique gaming experience. In the timeless words of Duke Nukem it’s finally time to ‘Come Get Some’. Come be a part of gaming history.

After 14 years of development at 3DRealms, where it was thought to be canned at one stage, Gearbox announced the game’s revival at PAX Prime in Seattle. A May 2010 launch was previously penciled in, but was delayed up until next month.

Game’s out on June 10 internationally and June 14 in the US for PS3, 360 and PC. Those with membership to the Duke Nukem First Access Club will get the demo on June 3.

1. Hunam

I would have been better if it went gold on Saturday.

2. TheWulf

And thus the one game that would probably have been better off left dead and as a legend will now be released, for good or ill. Call me cynical, but I’m going to lean toward ill but I’m keeping my mind open and I’m willing to be surprised.

In other news… the PC version of LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean is out today! Hooray! So I’ll be playing a lot of that. The demo was absolutely marvellous, it was all I wanted the Clone Wars to be. As much as I loved the Clone Wars, I just cannot get into the Star Wars setting… everything about it just doesn’t appeal to me.

Pirates though? Pirates this wulf can do. As poorly considered a sentence as that might be. Really though, try the demo, it’s really a thing. A good thing. A good thing that I like.

3. Razor

This game is going to review so badly it’s not even funny.

4. mojo

uhm yeah.
    I had stuffed peppers for lunch. As much as i loved the spaghetti, i just cannot get into that tomato setting. Paprikas though..

u get it..
    what has lego star wars to do with duke nukem :D

5. Talkar

Can’t wait for this game!

6. LOLshock94

judgement day is coming look busy

7. Hunam

I just pre-ordered the balls of steel edition. Because I have faith motherfuckers.

8. tmac2011

the next game will be lego duke nukem which will take another 15 years to make

9. StolenGlory

Fully with you bud. I couldn’t give a flying L.A.R.D shit about how badly it reviews, since the game has long since became a parody of itself (and the era it was developed in) a long time ago and the po-faced folks out there who can’t/don’t realise that have no business reviewing it in the first place.

I too have also preordered the Balls of Steel Edition for the simple fact for me that it puts an exclamation point on the end of the decade long journey that DNF has been on; a journey that I have fervently followed since Day One. Not to mention the fact that I am a mug for pointless tat but that is neither here nor there :)

Shit reviews and by proxy, shit reviewers be damned; I cannot wait for this game :)

10. TheWulf

I won’t lie, I’m quite eccentric and odd, and eccentric people are prone to the odd bit of rambling. Besides, a bit of random rambling is good for you, like fresh air and fish livers.

Anyway, the point was that LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean releases today for the PC, for those whom might not be aware, since I hadn’t actually seen it mentioned anywhere. The only place I found out was via spotting it myself on Direct2Drive.

And I was distracting people away from thinking about an absolutely terrible game–a game that’s potentially guaranteed to be one of the most awful games of our time–with news of the release of a game that’s actually rather good.

I suspect that May 24th is essentially going to be considered a dark day, the day that Forever went gold. For me it’s the release of LEGO Pirates! And as soon as that’s done downloading, I’m off to play me some of that.

11. Blerk

They should now do Duke Nukem Forever 2. Within three months.

12. EscoBlades

@Blerk: ROFL!

13. ExOAte

Hell, that’s about time!

14. noherczeg

Well, hell is frozen already, you just need to go down deep enough :D

15. On2wheels

From that last video released, the gameplay looks so 90s, this will be bargain priced inside 6mon.

16. Talkar

@On2wheels: You say that like it’s a bad thing x)

17. GwynbleiddiuM

I shan’t believe until I see it on store-shelves and steam.

@On2wheels: Exactly, and the only times I felt good playing games, especially FPS with the exception of Half-Life 2 and things valve released with source-engine.

18. DaMan

Gearbox, meh. Bring back 3DR.

19. frostquake

It will be HORRIBLE..and I will LOVE IT!! I am going to buy if for nothing more then THANKING Gearbox for picking up a dropped game and finishing it!

How many GOOD games have been CANNED!! That would have been good games if another developer would have taken the chance and picked it up and finished it..Quite a few! And yes there are quite a few that were terrible and I am glad they were canned…

But how many time have we seen a game video and wished someone would have picked it up and finished it??

20. James Mac

Maybe Piranha can get back to making that Mechwarrior game now.

21. Noodlemanny

Why is everyone bitching about how they think its going to be “an absolutely terrible game–a game that’s potentially guaranteed to be one of the most awful games of our time”. Even if the game is bad (which I highly doubt) its not gona be that bad. The very fact its got so much ads and hype means Gearbox put alot of money into it which is only a good thing. This game is going to rate well, I guarantee it.

22. Noodlemanny

It just dawned on me how ironic it would have been if the world had ended so close to the release.
    If you had thought of it at the time it might have added a little humour to an otherwise rather shit situation… Especially if you were a non-believer.
    But alas the nigh has not come yet. On my way to survive my sixth apocalypse now.